Improper frequency combination

May 19, 2004 2:42:30 AM

Hi. I have Win XP on a pentium 4. Has been running for
many moons. Last night it froze. Pressing the reset key
made it beep but did nothing else. I then switched it
off at the wall socket (power supply).
When I turned it on it opened in safe mode and gave the
following message:
During the last boot up your system hung for improper
frequency combination. Your system is now working in
safe mode. To optimise the system performance and
reliability, make sure the frequency combination conforms
to the specifications of your CPU, DIMM and other
connected devices.
What on earth does this mean??
ET.
Anonymous
May 19, 2004 3:34:56 AM

This is not, by any means, and exhaustive list.

(1) A power sag/surge confused your system BIOS. Change the settings in
your BIOS
(2) Failing system frequency generator
(3) Failing memory
(4) Failing buss