Recommended FPS in online games

joseph85

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2006
Sorry i'm sorta new to the whole high-end gaming scene but I've been doing a little research for a while and I just keep on running into some problems here.

The human eye supposedly can't see higher than 60 frames(or so I'm told).

question 1. Would thier be a real difference between 60-100 fps?
question 2. when site like Tom's post fps in their vga charts is this highest possible fps, minimum or average?

What FPS would you guys recommend for games like Counter-Strike: Source and other HL2: online games?

the_stiffmeister

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
I've heard that humans can't notice past 60 FPS but you need to remember that this must be the minimum FPS figure your game gives you. If it is an average of 60 FPS then obviously sometimes the game will run below 60FPS and you would notice this to be slower than an average of 100 FPS. If the game gave a minimum of 60 FPS then theoretically you shouldn't notice against a minimum of 100 FPS. The Toms's VGA chart shoud say whether it is low/min or average, otherwise it is normally average. I normally go for an average of about 80 FPS in first person shooters so configure your eye candy settings to get into this ball park area. A good app to check your frame rate is FRAPS if you haven't heard of it. It runs when windows starts (if you want) and gives you a frame counter in any game in the corner of the screen.

will14

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
I have a laptop and have gotten use to 5 fps.
I'm going to be in heaven when I build my desktop in February for $1k.
I'll have ended my 4 year moving 20+ times deal.
I'd say you want 50.
30 minimum.
anything over 60 you really won't notice.

the_stiffmeister

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
LOL 5 FPS. If you want to play a game at the pace you need to win (especially first person) you need to have a computer that isn't going to slow at all in any part of he game otherwise you will be at a disadvantage. If you keep the min FPS at 60 then that is about right, which equates prob to an average of 80 FPS. You can get away with lower but remember people who play and win regularly have got a fast machine. You don't have to spend a fortune, just turn down some of the effects, half the time you won't notice much difference anyway when you're playing a fast first person game. I play Battlefield 2 with all high settings normally but my machine packed up so I had to install lower spec parts and turn down the options but to be honest I didn't notice much difference.

oaksmokedbacon

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
you want the FPS in your games to be as high as possible.

It makes the game smoother which in turn allows for easier aim, smoother mouse movements etc

In games like Counterstrike and Bf2 it also allows for recoil to be adjsuted for far more easily.

of course the monitors refresh rates come into play as well.

My TFT refreshes at 75mhz. however I turn off vsync to allow the game to run at 100fps for counterstrike, the maximum the game allows. u get tearing in the screen which becomes un-noticable but agian allows for a smoother experience.

Follow the general rule the Higher the better.

SuperG

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
A lot Fast pace FPS fraggers want 90FPS and no less.
Why? I think because it's avarage.
And most off all. FPS dips can go very low The FPS is very dynamic from 20fpsmin to 110 max and a average of 60. Very game dependant to.

That 20 kill the smootness because wenn that happen that offten because you are in a close ambush against mutiple player or NPC.
While staring at a wall gives you 150fps.

How ever in a tactical shooter you keep the enemy at range. No fraging slower pace and In CQC you need more FPS then in open field.

So I like to see the minimal FPS. Because some gamerig do
20 to 200 max while a other could do
50 to 100 max

So for me the minimal fps is important. And the FPS can be capped on 60 Vsync on.

p90m16mp5a4

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Some games I can't tell the difference between 40 and 60 fps and some games I can tell the difference between 60 and 85. Perhaps I'm just insane.

20fps is way too low, there is a huge lack of precision in aiming with that low of a framerate. 200fps? lol... That might be of use if you are on a LAN.

Loki_cdn

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
While it is true that any scene will look fluid at 60 fps, tests have actually shown that the human eye can discern changes in a scene at faster then 200 fps. Tweakguides has a good guide at http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_1.html

The general rule of thumb is to have your game at settings that produce a fps slightly more then double the refresh rate of your monitor. This reduces video down to next to nothing and prevents tearing. However if your system can't produce these speeds, find a res and settings that you are comfortable looking and simply except that the guy with the better computer is sometimes going to get the drop on you.

oaksmokedbacon

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I was talking about CS1.6 which is limited to 100fps, a engine cap if i recall, you can turn on developer mode which allows higher max fps but it creates other problems like making you move more slowy.

developer 1 if i'm correct is the console command

CS:S is a more complex beast i think. In anycase for the best online performance you want to turn as much of the fancy stuff off graphics wise this will allow a more constant max FPS.

Looks around for guides to tweaking GFX settings

The biggest thing to remember is to unlock the refresh mode in XP using graphics tweaks or all this talk off 100fps + is useless as windows will lock you to 60fps cos its useless.

illuminatirex

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2006
lol How come do u have tio lower ur setings with that gpu? I have the hardware (in my sig) and I have all setings maxed out with the max AA and i have not had a single laggy/choppy framerate(have been playing the bf2 demo for almost a week, usually with 64 or 32 players), even with that 5 to 10 people with a tank or 2 in front of me with some choper atacks at the same time, and explosions(crazy moments),hm..it might be also related to the cpu, and memory as well i guess, i have yet to installed fraps, but i might do it tommorow or so.