Outlook Express & attachments

Hi, I've just had XP installed & it has SP1 & all the current updates. It
uses Outlook Express for e-mail. I've noticed that some small attachments
(Word, jpgs & .txt files) are being removed from e-mails, even things I
know aren't a security risk because I've sent them to my e-mail address
from another e-mail account on another pc. I don't think the problem is the
originating pc or e-mail account because I've cc'd the e-mail to other
people & everyone has received the attachments except me. Also, attachments
of much larger sizes sent to me by other people are arriving without a
problem. I'd appreciate some advice on how to correct this. TIA.
14 answers Last reply
More about outlook express attachments

    Hi,

    From OE, click tools/options/security tab, uncheck "do not allow attachments
    to be saved.....".

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    Chocolate Sauce wrote:
    > Hi, I've just had XP installed & it has SP1 & all the current
    > updates. It uses Outlook Express for e-mail. I've noticed that some
    > small attachments (Word, jpgs & .txt files) are being removed from
    > e-mails, even things I know aren't a security risk because I've sent
    > them to my e-mail address from another e-mail account on another pc.
    > I don't think the problem is the originating pc or e-mail account
    > because I've cc'd the e-mail to other people & everyone has received
    > the attachments except me. Also, attachments of much larger sizes
    > sent to me by other people are arriving without a problem. I'd
    > appreciate some advice on how to correct this. TIA.

    Another NSF - does your mother still wipe your arse for you too?! This is
    asked and answered about half-a-dozen times A DAY! I can only surmise that
    you've spent the last 5 years and 8 months living in the world's deepest
    cave system as Google appears to be an alien concept to you. I am *NOT*
    going to assist you - you can jolly well stop being so damned lazy and do
    your own research!

    Having a bad day?

    --

    "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
    > Chocolate Sauce wrote:
    >> Hi, I've just had XP installed & it has SP1 & all the current
    >> updates. It uses Outlook Express for e-mail. I've noticed that some
    >> small attachments (Word, jpgs & .txt files) are being removed from
    >> e-mails, even things I know aren't a security risk because I've sent
    >> them to my e-mail address from another e-mail account on another pc.
    >> I don't think the problem is the originating pc or e-mail account
    >> because I've cc'd the e-mail to other people & everyone has received
    >> the attachments except me. Also, attachments of much larger sizes
    >> sent to me by other people are arriving without a problem. I'd
    >> appreciate some advice on how to correct this. TIA.
    >
    > Another NSF - does your mother still wipe your arse for you too?! This is
    > asked and answered about half-a-dozen times A DAY! I can only surmise that
    > you've spent the last 5 years and 8 months living in the world's deepest
    > cave system as Google appears to be an alien concept to you. I am *NOT*
    > going to assist you - you can jolly well stop being so damned lazy and do
    > your own research!

    Seems more like a bad life!!!

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > Having a bad day?

    No, just fed up of morons who swan in here, post a FAQ, without bothering to
    search first. I'm also sick of MVPs who do their arse-wiping for them.

    Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach him how to catch his
    own and you'll feed him for life.

    The same can be applied here. You lot just exacerbate the problem with your
    stock answers. Keep spoonfeeding them and they'll be back again and again,
    ad infinitum et ad nauseam, with the same inane questions.

    It's about time someone gave them a good swift kick up the hiney - it's no
    more than they deserve.

    I don't care if I'm never made MVP - I won't tolerate idiots who think we're
    here to do everything for them.

    Do I make myself clear?!

    Some one once said there's no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid
    answer.
    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > > Having a bad day?
    >
    > No, just fed up of morons who swan in here, post a FAQ, without bothering
    > search first. I'm also sick of MVPs who do their arse-wiping for them.
    >
    > Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach him how to catch
    his
    > own and you'll feed him for life.
    >
    > The same can be applied here. You lot just exacerbate the problem with
    your
    > stock answers. Keep spoonfeeding them and they'll be back again and again,
    > ad infinitum et ad nauseam, with the same inane questions.
    >
    > It's about time someone gave them a good swift kick up the hiney - it's no
    > more than they deserve.
    >
    > I don't care if I'm never made MVP - I won't tolerate idiots who think
    we're
    > here to do everything for them.
    >
    > Do I make myself clear?!

    With your attitude, perhaps you would be happier somewhere else.
    These forums are a place to get help.
    Attitudes like yours do nothing constructive, in fact people like you
    have a tendency of discouraging posters with legitimate questions.

    You said "Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach him
    how to catch his own and you'll feed him for life."
    Well, your answer can effectively keep them away.
    You have clearly chosen a 3rd option instead of feed or teach.
    You give them poison to kill their desire to learn or seek help in
    this forum.
    Does that make you happy?

    I learned a long time ago, "There is no such thing as a stupid
    question"
    That is a great truth you have yet to learn.
    Some end it with "There are only stupid answers"
    If that is the case, your answer fits that description very well.

    Your constant need to belittle others shows more of your own character
    flaws than theirs.
    To bad your ego needs this kind of boost.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > > Having a bad day?
    >
    > No, just fed up of morons who swan in here, post a FAQ, without
    bothering to
    > search first. I'm also sick of MVPs who do their arse-wiping for
    them.

    > Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day. Teach him how to
    catch his
    > own and you'll feed him for life.
    >
    > The same can be applied here. You lot just exacerbate the problem
    with your
    > stock answers. Keep spoonfeeding them and they'll be back again and
    again,
    > ad infinitum et ad nauseam, with the same inane questions.
    >
    > It's about time someone gave them a good swift kick up the hiney -
    it's no
    > more than they deserve.
    >
    > I don't care if I'm never made MVP - I won't tolerate idiots who
    think we're
    > here to do everything for them.
    >
    > Do I make myself clear?!

    >Chocolate Sauce wrote:
    >> Hi, I've just had XP installed & it has SP1 & all the
    >current
    >> updates. It uses Outlook Express for e-mail. I've
    >noticed that some
    >> small attachments (Word, jpgs & .txt files) are being
    >removed from
    >> e-mails, even things I know aren't a security risk
    >because I've sent
    >> them to my e-mail address from another e-mail account
    >on another pc.
    >> I don't think the problem is the originating pc or e-
    >mail account
    >> because I've cc'd the e-mail to other people & everyone
    >has received
    >> the attachments except me. Also, attachments of much
    >larger sizes
    >> sent to me by other people are arriving without a
    >problem. I'd
    >> appreciate some advice on how to correct this. TIA.
    >
    >Another NSF - does your mother still wipe your arse for
    >you too?! This is
    >asked and answered about half-a-dozen times A DAY! I can
    >only surmise that
    >you've spent the last 5 years and 8 months living in the
    >world's deepest
    >cave system as Google appears to be an alien concept to
    >you. I am *NOT*
    >going to assist you - you can jolly well stop being so
    >damned lazy and do
    >your own research!

    Yes, crystal. Everytime you open your mouth (or is it
    your arse? Hard to tell on a beached whale such as
    yourself!), we all get to experience your lovely,
    resounding flatulence. Must be your arse becuase
    obviously from the way you speak, your brains have fallen
    down into it. Careful not to lose them in the dunny, dear.

    Fed up?? Leave!

    news:c8htu3$dek$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk while still grieving for JR:

    > Chocolate Sauce wrote:
    >> Hi, I've just had XP installed & it has SP1 & all the current
    >> updates. It uses Outlook Express for e-mail. I've noticed that some
    >> small attachments (Word, jpgs & .txt files) are being removed from
    >> e-mails, even things I know aren't a security risk because I've sent
    >> them to my e-mail address from another e-mail account on another pc.
    >> I don't think the problem is the originating pc or e-mail account
    >> because I've cc'd the e-mail to other people & everyone has received
    >> the attachments except me. Also, attachments of much larger sizes
    >> sent to me by other people are arriving without a problem. I'd
    >> appreciate some advice on how to correct this. TIA.
    >
    > Another NSF - does your mother still wipe your arse for you too?! This
    > is asked and answered about half-a-dozen times A DAY! I can only
    > surmise that you've spent the last 5 years and 8 months living in the
    > world's deepest cave system as Google appears to be an alien concept
    > to you. I am *NOT* going to assist you - you can jolly well stop being
    > so damned lazy and do your own research!

    1) I don't know how my mother spends her time these days as she's no
    longer with me. If you have some insider knowledge on that, I presume you
    will share it as you are so free with your views on other matters.

    2) My question may well be asked several times a day, but I wouldn't know
    that. I am new to using this software, & did try Google and various other
    searches to find the answer. I also decided to ask here, and as far as I
    am aware that is not a crime, nor is it likely to be one in the
    foreseeable future. If my decision has ruined your day, so be it - that's
    life, and as far as I'm aware no Usenet user has to make a special
    commitment to keep you happy.

    3) If someone asking a simple question gets you so hot under the collar
    that you express yourself in such a fashion as you have done here, I
    suggest that you spend less time in the newsgroups. Perhaps more time
    thinking about why your life is so sad that other Usenet contributors can
    make you so unnecessarily aggressive would be a more constructive use of
    your time. I hope using the anonymity of Usenet to be so nasty is not the
    best way you can think of to spend your day.

    4) If you don't wish to assist me or anyone else, fine, don't. There is
    nothing about newsgroups that means you have to reply to every query
    raised, so don't put yourself out to do so. Especially if you are going
    to be so incredibly rude about it.

    Thank you to everyone else for their civility.

    "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in
    news:eY$oJIlPEHA.3100@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl while still grieving for JR:

    > Hi,
    >
    > From OE, click tools/options/security tab, uncheck "do not allow
    > attachments to be saved.....".

    Hi Rick,

    It was initially set up with the box ticked, but the box has been
    unticked for several days and the problem still keeps occuring. Perhaps
    Outlook Express is just taking its time to acknowledge the setting change
    - not so Express after all :-). Thanks for your help.

    Hi,

    Fact is, most don't know how to search, and many do not come back to see the
    answers that are posted. If you don't like the FAQ's, then why monitor a
    newusers group where these are most likely to happen? The object is to
    provide support, many do not qualify that to only answering difficult
    questions. I find it just as quick to post the correct answer as it is to
    post a "try searching this group" response. The poster has their answer, and
    the thread is there for those who do search (after all, it's been my
    experience that for every poster, there are two lurkers looking for
    answers).

    --

    Chocolate Sauce wrote:
    > "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in
    > news:eY$oJIlPEHA.3100@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl while still grieving for
    > JR:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> From OE, click tools/options/security tab, uncheck "do not allow
    >> attachments to be saved.....".
    >>

    > Hi Rick,
    >
    > It was initially set up with the box ticked, but the box has been
    > unticked for several days and the problem still keeps occuring.
    > Perhaps Outlook Express is just taking its time to acknowledge the
    > setting change - not so Express after all :-). Thanks for your help.

    You can try editing this key:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities\{GUID}\Software\Microsoft\Outlook
    Express\5.0\Mail

    Where GUID is the big,long number associated with your identity in use.
    Look in the right hand pane for the following value:

    "Safe Attachments"=dword:00000000 <--allows attachments
    "Safe Attachments"=dword:00000001 <--disallows attachments

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    I agree, I'm one of the lurkers who keeps a look out for useful
    information, even though I don't have any problems if there is something I
    think may come in handy at some point I copy it to a folder so I can
    refer back to it. I do this in WinME NG's even though I don't run that
    version now I help when I can, don't tend to come out of lurk mode in XP
    yet just on the odd occasion <g>
    Joan

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in (after all, it's been my
    > experience that for every poster, there are two lurkers looking for
    > answers).
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows

Outlook Express Email Windows XP