Question about extended Network and MOU

Jeb

Distinguished
May 3, 2002

This is the first time I've taken my Verizon cell with me on a road trip and
I'm a bit disappointed. As soon as I left the Baltimore area, my phone
showed "extended network" all the way to Cleveland (almost Cleveland anyway)
and back. I tried several times to connect to the Web using the T730 as a
modem and the Verizon software with no success. Did I do something wrong or
is this what I should expect? I have the National plan and the on-line
minutes are taken from my monthly allotment.

Thanks

"JEB" <berndt at berndt md dott com> wrote in message
> This is the first time I've taken my Verizon cell with me on a road
> trip and I'm a bit disappointed. As soon as I left the Baltimore
> area, my phone showed "extended network" all the way to Cleveland
> (almost Cleveland anyway) and back. I tried several times to connect
> to the Web using the T730 as a modem and the Verizon software with no
> success. Did I do something wrong or is this what I should expect?
> I have the National plan and the on-line minutes are taken from my
> monthly allotment.
>
> Thanks

There is definately something wrong then. My cell has a Baltimore number
(410 area code), and I am currently in Las Vegas with the banner showing as
normal. Are you trying to use the quick 2 net or express connections? If
express, you must be in a native verizon area AND showing a verizon wireless
banner for it to work. If you have an extended network banner showing it
won't work at all.

I assume that you are back home, and have the normal banner showing, First
suggestion, try it there.

That doesn't seem right. I travel regularly from the east coast to the
Cleveland-Akron-Pittsburgh area. My cell phone always shows normal (home
area). The covereage is pretty solid, even in the boons of Geauga County.
I'm assuming you're on AC. If you're on National Single Rate, then the
behavior you describe might be correct.

Quick-2-net works in that area as well...not sure about Express Network
(have yet to find a phone that's as reliable as my 7868W...would rather have
slow data and reliable connection than fast data with no connection at all;)

"JEB" <berndt at berndt md dott com> wrote in message
> This is the first time I've taken my Verizon cell with me on a road trip
and
> I'm a bit disappointed. As soon as I left the Baltimore area, my phone
> showed "extended network" all the way to Cleveland (almost Cleveland
anyway)
> and back. I tried several times to connect to the Web using the T730 as a
> modem and the Verizon software with no success. Did I do something wrong
or
> is this what I should expect? I have the National plan and the on-line
> minutes are taken from my monthly allotment.
>
> Thanks

If you drove through WV, that makes sense.
Look at the coverage maps. Hopefully you won't have any roaming charges
either ( assuming you have an AC plan ).
What PRL do you have?

Scotty

"JEB" <berndt at berndt md dott com> wrote in message
> This is the first time I've taken my Verizon cell with me on a road trip
and
> I'm a bit disappointed. As soon as I left the Baltimore area, my phone
> showed "extended network" all the way to Cleveland (almost Cleveland
anyway)
> and back. I tried several times to connect to the Web using the T730 as a
> modem and the Verizon software with no success. Did I do something wrong
or
> is this what I should expect? I have the National plan and the on-line
> minutes are taken from my monthly allotment.
>
> Thanks

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

Peter Pan wrote:
> > Thanks
>
> There is definately something wrong then. My cell has a Baltimore number
> (410 area code), and I am currently in Las Vegas with the banner showing as
> normal. Are you trying to use the quick 2 net or express connections? If
> express, you must be in a native verizon area AND showing a verizon wireless
> banner for it to work. If you have an extended network banner showing it
> won't work at all.

Not true in all extended network areas. I am able to get an express
network connection in some extended network areas. Not all, but some.

Don in Tracy, Calif.

Jeb

Distinguished
May 3, 2002

Don wrote:
> Peter Pan wrote:
>>> Thanks
>>
>> There is definately something wrong then. My cell has a Baltimore
>> number (410 area code), and I am currently in Las Vegas with the
>> banner showing as normal. Are you trying to use the quick 2 net or
>> express connections? If express, you must be in a native verizon
>> area AND showing a verizon wireless banner for it to work. If you
>> have an extended network banner showing it won't work at all.
>
> Not true in all extended network areas. I am able to get an express
> network connection in some extended network areas. Not all, but some.
>
> Don in Tracy, Calif.

Well here's what Verizon told me on the phone... They said that when I am in
a Verizon area I can use EXPRESS connect but when in a Verizon Extended area
use Quick 2 Net to connect. I'll try it next time I travel. Thanks to all
that replied.

Jack

Extended network works the same as the "owned" network, as long as it is
digital....I have used internet coast to coast on extended...works fine.
Might be something wrong with your T730 setups but suggest you call VZW tech
support

"JEB" <berndt at berndt md dott com> wrote in message
> This is the first time I've taken my Verizon cell with me on a road trip
and
> I'm a bit disappointed. As soon as I left the Baltimore area, my phone
> showed "extended network" all the way to Cleveland (almost Cleveland
anyway)
> and back. I tried several times to connect to the Web using the T730 as a
> modem and the Verizon software with no success. Did I do something wrong
or
> is this what I should expect? I have the National plan and the on-line
> minutes are taken from my monthly allotment.
>
> Thanks

Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

JEB wrote:it won't work at all.

> > Not true in all extended network areas. I am able to get an express
> > network connection in some extended network areas. Not all, but some.
> >
> > Don in Tracy, Calif.
>
> Well here's what Verizon told me on the phone... They said that when I am in
> a Verizon area I can use EXPRESS connect but when in a Verizon Extended area
> use Quick 2 Net to connect. I'll try it next time I travel. Thanks to all
> that replied.
>
> Jack

You should always try and connect using Express Network. As I said
above, sometimes it works, sometimes not. I recently made a trip from
California to the east coast and back and I would estimate that it
worked about half of the time in extended network areas.

Don in Tracy, Calif.