Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Hey all,
Yeah, I'm having some problems with Oblivion. When I first got my computer and the game, it ran great, on top resolution with a lot of the other stuff up too, including 4x anti-aliasing. However: after I changed around some of the graphic features it refused to work well, and no matter what I change it to, it refuses to work well; I get lots of lag, lower end frame rates, ect. I was wondering what settings people were setting their boxes at for Oblvion, with likewise specs as seen below. Also, what any other problems could be. My GPU runs at ~41 normal, ~53 load. I don't have any viruses I know of, and no overclock either. The disk is clean and unblemished in the slightest. I don't think I have any unneccessary processes. I do know for sure though that the game was running great, with top resolution and 4x anti-aliasing.

2GB Crucial RAM
2.4 GHz AMD
Biostar SLI MoBo
7900GT
x2 250 GB Western Digital HDD

Yeah, any ideas? Please?

p90m16mp5a4

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Driver updates, game updates/mods. You could try reinstalling the game, everybodys favorite standby. It would suck if it's some wierd hardware glitch, although that usually comes with OCS (old computer syndrome) and cheap parts. I had all kinds of problems when I mixed ram once...

I have no problems running Oblivion at 1600x1200 with everything on max and HDR 16xAF (driver option). Although I usually play at 12x9 due to the noticable slowdown outside in the grass. The only time I get slow down at 12x9 is when I'm looking at a huge amount of grass or there are about five enemies on screen outside during the day. Everything else is smooth or very close to smooth. Oh, and please OC ur cpu, it's bothering me that you haven't yet >.>

2.7ghz AMD | 2gb ddr400 3436 | x1800xt OC 512mb | DFI lp ut sli-dr rev1

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
Driver updates, game updates/mods. You could try reinstalling the game, everybodys favorite standby. It would suck if it's some wierd hardware glitch, although that usually comes with OCS (old computer syndrome) and cheap parts. I had all kinds of problems when I mixed ram once...

I have no problems running Oblivion at 1600x1200 with everything on max and HDR 16xAF (driver option). Although I usually play at 12x9 due to the noticable slowdown outside in the grass. The only time I get slow down at 12x9 is when I'm looking at a huge amount of grass or there are about five enemies on screen outside during the day. Everything else is smooth or very close to smooth. Oh, and please OC ur cpu, it's bothering me that you haven't yet >.>

Hmm. I only get noticable slowdown or lag when A: Around enemies or people, or B: indoors. The grass part is fine all maxed out. My computer isn't that old, I built it earlier this summer. And I got stuff I hoped would be reliable, AMD, Crucial (the only US made RAM, whoo), XFX, and a highly rated but semi-obscure Biostar MoBo. I have an x64 OS, so it's a challenge to overclock. No idea why, it's supposed to be really easy, but the utility just can't be found anywhere. I think I'll have to download another program to do it. I have updated drivers, and have tryed driver rollbacks, everything. I did do some .ini editing after I started experiancing problems, but I have a backup file. Both work about the same anyway. I've reinstalled the game three times now, not much difference with each. I'll go try it again. And: using the Video Card Benchmarker from FreeStone-group.com, I did get within their allowence for the 7900GT, but I was on the very low end. Don't know what's with that. Anyway.

p90m16mp5a4

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
When did you first start noticing it going alot slower than usual? What changes had you recently made to your computer right before you started noticing it slowing down?

Are any of your other games experiencing similar problems, or does your computer 'feel' slower now?

FoMoCo

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
try defraging, that can make a huge difference with bleeding edge games that have to load lots of large textures and such

hobojoe58

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006

Hmm. I only get noticable slowdown or lag when A: Around enemies or people, or B: indoors. The grass part is fine all maxed out. My computer isn't that old, I built it earlier this summer. And I got stuff I hoped would be reliable, AMD, Crucial (the only US made RAM, whoo), XFX, and a highly rated but semi-obscure Biostar MoBo. I have an x64 OS, so it's a challenge to overclock. No idea why, it's supposed to be really easy, but the utility just can't be found anywhere. I think I'll have to download another program to do it. I have updated drivers, and have tryed driver rollbacks, everything. I did do some .ini editing after I started experiancing problems, but I have a backup file. Both work about the same anyway. I've reinstalled the game three times now, not much difference with each. I'll go try it again. And: using the Video Card Benchmarker from FreeStone-group.com, I did get within their allowence for the 7900GT, but I was on the very low end. Don't know what's with that. Anyway.

I've actually experienced IDENTICAL PROBLEMS, and have a n incredibly similiar setup as well (hardware wise, and also its a fresh install of EVERYTHING [ software and hardware] ), what a correlation! =O. As you stated, out of the box with the settings maxed it has an optimization of sorts at default, and it breezes with impressive feats. But when (I) change any of the defaults the FPS/mouse lag really generates noticeable performance losses. I also have noticed a decrease in performance with certain mods, the 'natural lighting/weather and the 'natural water' by tramel (i think thats who its by) both seem to really cut my system performance a great deal, But even in i revert to the default .esp file, it still retains the same sluggish responses, i dont understand....=(!!! Just thought i'd let you know your not the only one!

hobojoe58

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006

I've actually experienced IDENTICAL PROBLEMS, and have a n incredibly similiar setup as well (hardware wise, and also its a fresh install of EVERYTHING [ software and hardware] ), what a correlation! =O. As you stated, out of the box with the settings maxed it has an optimization of sorts at default, and it breezes with impressive feats. But when (I) change any of the defaults the FPS/mouse lag really generates noticeable performance losses. I also have noticed a decrease in performance with certain mods, the 'natural lighting/weather and the 'natural water' by tramel (i think thats who its by) both seem to really cut my system performance a great deal, But even in i revert to the default .esp file, it still retains the same sluggish responses, i dont understand....=(!!! Just thought i'd let you know your not the only one!

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not alone in the world. I defragment my hard drives obsessively, don't worry about that. My computer does feel slightly slower, not terribly, but just noticably. Like on Star Wars Battle Front II, for some reason, it's running good, but not like it was before. I brought it in and got some spyware removed, and some thing called "Coolbits" installed, and it runs better, but not like it used to. After which I got above their maximum FPS for the 7900GT on the Free Stone Group GPU benchmark, where as previously I was on the very low end of their scale. All I did was change the video settings, nothing more. Anybody think it might help to reinstall Windows? Any ideas are welcome, I desparately need some.

Also: I only get really bad slowdown around enemies or people, wandering around in the grass is fine, great, actually.

Fungalberry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
So, pretty much: What the hey. I just found that if put shadow filtering and specular distance up to the highest, the game runs much better. Still not like the good old days though. Still accepting help (see above post).