cookies

Hello...in my documents and settings I have a whole lot of cookies...can I delete them or should i leave them alone..I have windowsxp home...and the cookies are on my C:drive
thank you in advance
5 answers Last reply
More about cookies

    I delete mine every time I get off of the internet,If you
    have passwords or logon accounts at websites you will
    have to type in your password again.

    What is the quickest way to delete them?

    thank map...so it is okay to delete them all? What exactly are they for?

    By: Viktor Mayer-Schönberger
    The WWW is built on a very simple, but powerful premise.
    All material on the Web is formatted in a general,
    uniform format called HTML (Hypertext Markup Language),
    and all information requests and responses conform to a
    similarly standard protocol. When someone accesses a
    server on the Web, such as the Library of Congress, the
    user's Web browser will send an information request to
    the Library of Congress' computer. This computer is
    called a Web server. The Web server will respond to the
    request by transmitting the desired information to the
    user's computer. There, the user's browser will display
    the received information on the user's screen.

    Cookies are pieces of information generated by a Web
    server and stored in the user's computer, ready for
    future access. Cookies are embedded in the HTML
    information flowing back and forth between the user's
    computer and the servers. Cookies were implemented to
    allow user-side customization of Web information. For
    example, cookies are used to personalize Web search
    engines, to allow users to participate in WWW-wide
    contests (but only once!), and to store shopping lists of
    items a user has selected while browsing through a
    virtual shopping mall.

    Essentially, cookies make use of user-specific
    information transmitted by the Web server onto the user's
    computer so that the information might be available for
    later access by itself or other servers. In most cases,
    not only does the storage of personal information into a
    cookie go unnoticed, so does access to it. Web servers
    automatically gain access to relevant cookies whenever
    the user establishes a connection to them, usually in the
    form of Web requests.

    Cookies are based on a two-stage process. First the
    cookie is stored in the user's computer without their
    consent or knowledge. For example, with customizable Web
    search engines like My Yahoo!, a user selects categories
    of interest from the Web page. The Web server then
    creates a specific cookie, which is essentially a tagged
    string of text containing the user's preferences, and it
    transmits this cookie to the user's computer. The user's
    Web browser, if cookie-savvy, receives the cookie and
    stores it in a special file called a cookie list. This
    happens without any notification or user consent. As a
    result, personal information (in this case the user's
    category preferences) is formatted by the Web server,
    transmitted, and saved by the user's computer.

    During the second stage, the cookie is clandestinely and
    automatically transferred from the user's machine to a
    Web server. Whenever a user directs her Web browser to
    display a certain Web page from the server, the browser
    will, without the user's knowledge, transmit the cookie
    containing personal information to the Web server.

    Internet options,delete cookies.

Cookie My Documents Microsoft Windows XP