Disk Defragmenter cannot run on this volume: A:

May 21, 2004 2:48:01 PM

Why? Previous versions of Windows defragmented a floppy; why not XP Pro?

Will I need to install another version of Windows in another partion solely
to defragment . . . floppys?

The only thing I can think of is. . NFTS. I can return to FAT32 - if that
is the problem.

Thanks.

---
May 21, 2004 2:53:19 PM

"Johann Bäcker" <j_backer@REMOVEprodigy.net> wrote in message
> Why? Previous versions of Windows defragmented a floppy; why not XP Pro?
>
> Will I need to install another version of Windows in another partion
solely
> to defragment . . . floppys?
>
> The only thing I can think of is. . NFTS. I can return to FAT32 - if
that
> is the problem.
>
> Thanks.

It's NTFS - NOT - NFTS.

> ---

---
May 21, 2004 5:19:08 PM

"Johann Bäcker" <j_backer@REMOVEprodigy.net> wrote in message
> Why? Previous versions of Windows defragmented a floppy; why not XP Pro?
>
> Will I need to install another version of Windows in another partion
solely
> to defragment . . . floppys?
>
> The only thing I can think of is. . NFTS. I can return to FAT32 - if
that
> is the problem.
>
> Thanks.
>

> ---

IMO you do not need to defragment a floppy.
However, one way to do so is to move all of the files to a folder on your
hard drive. How you have an empty floppy. If you want to you can reformat
it. Now, move all the file back to the floppy.

Don
Related resources
May 22, 2004 8:16:10 PM

No version of Windows ever defragged a floppy. There is absolutely no need for
that.
"Johann Bäcker" <j_backer@REMOVEprodigy.net> wrote in message
> Why? Previous versions of Windows defragmented a floppy; why not XP Pro?
>
> Will I need to install another version of Windows in another partion solely
> to defragment . . . floppys?
>
> The only thing I can think of is. . NFTS. I can return to FAT32 - if that
> is the problem.
>
> Thanks.
>

> ---

May 23, 2004 5:58:41 AM

Unknown wrote:
> No version of Windows ever defragged a floppy. There absolutely no need
for that.

Windows for Workgroups 3.11 AND Windows95 IF you . . upgraded from WfW
3.11.
You could also DEFRAG a:\ or c:\ from a . . . DOS Prompt on boot. (Remember
FAST working DOS?)

RTF files are retained on the floppy. Additions, deletions and text changes
are made therefore I - - - - DO NEED to defrag drive a:\.

Yes, I have been moving (batch) everything to the HD then back (batch again)
to the Floppy. Moving 195 files, one at a time would be . . . . . time
consuming.

---