Who's got a VIA P4X266??

jmac

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
Building a new system and got narrowed down to a p4x266 and an intel 850. overall, liked p4x best, but am told by a friend that VIA's are nice and cheap, but take alot of tweaking and near constant attention with updates and such. I want to put in a pent4 1.4G, and am wondering if anyone's has much knowledge of running this board and chip together?
Thanks

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Building a new system and got narrowed down to a p4x266 and an intel 850. overall, liked p4x best, but am told by a friend that VIA's are nice and cheap, but take alot of tweaking and near constant attention with updates and such
i sure hope you're kidding...via is cheap...quality wise...their chipsets are riddled with bugs...(except for maybe the newer ones)...i would totally go with intel's 850i hands down if i were you.
oh...and your friends an idiot...
I want to put in a pent4 1.4G, and am wondering if anyone's has much knowledge of running this board and chip
umm...i dont think they make the 1.4 ghz P4 anymore...its "out-dated"...i would suggest you get at least the P4 1.6A and overclock it to like 2.4 ghz or something...

:eek: <b>Who fixed <font color=red>ATI</font color=red>'s leaky faucet??</b> :eek:

FatBurger

Illustrious
You do NOT want a 1.4. I believe they only came in socket 423 and are only the old Willamette core. Go with a 1.6A or 1.8A and overclock it. I'd recommend an i850 board, the Abit TH7II, perhaps.

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

jmac

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2002
thanks,
biggest motivation has been price, and i found these parts at a good price, so thanks for the input

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you're building cheap, look at Newegg.com and check out their Asus P4S533, it uses the SiS 645DX chipset which is both CHEAPER and BETTER than VIA's. It's more stable, more compatable, more bug free, faster...

DDR is much cheaper than RDRAM when you compare both at high speeds. It's also slower. But the price to performance ratio puts a lot of people into PC2700 DDR SDRAM.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>