password forgotten

I had Windows XP Pro (upgrade version) on my old computer. My new computer has XP home edition. I tried to install the Pro upgrade but a driver malfunction prevented the complete installation . I then selected Last Known Good Configuration to go back to the state before I tried to install the Pro version. The computer then prompted me to enter my administrator password. I entered a couple of passwords I remember using on my old computer but It responded that these passwords were wrong. Is there any way to get around the password prompt to restore my computer to its last known good configuration?
1 answer Last reply
More about password forgotten

    XP Home doesn't use an administrator password unless you have specifically
    set one. If you have forgotten it, then unfortunately it is lost completely
    and not retrievable. You might just try pressing Enter without entering any
    password when it asks for the password and see if that gets you to where you
    want to go.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    "deb" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I had Windows XP Pro (upgrade version) on my old computer. My new
    >computer has XP home edition. I tried to install the Pro upgrade but a
    >driver malfunction prevented the complete installation . I then selected
    >Last Known Good Configuration to go back to the state before I tried to
    >install the Pro version. The computer then prompted me to enter my
    >administrator password. I entered a couple of passwords I remember using
    >on my old computer but It responded that these passwords were wrong. Is
    >there any way to get around the password prompt to restore my computer to
    >its last known good configuration?

Computers Configuration Windows XP