password forgotten

deb

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

I had Windows XP Pro (upgrade version) on my old computer. My new computer has XP home edition. I tried to install the Pro upgrade but a driver malfunction prevented the complete installation . I then selected Last Known Good Configuration to go back to the state before I tried to install the Pro version. The computer then prompted me to enter my administrator password. I entered a couple of passwords I remember using on my old computer but It responded that these passwords were wrong. Is there any way to get around the password prompt to restore my computer to its last known good configuration?

XP Home doesn't use an administrator password unless you have specifically
set one. If you have forgotten it, then unfortunately it is lost completely
and not retrievable. You might just try pressing Enter without entering any
password when it asks for the password and see if that gets you to where you
want to go.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert