HP IIIP - Counter?

I have an older (old!) HP IIIP printer that I bought new several years ago.
The last time I needed a new toner cartridge I purchased the KO-REC brand
.... and not the HP branded one. Prior to that I always used the HP brand.

I now have to replace the cartridge again ... and I don't think I got close
to the 3000 copies suggested with the HP brand cartridge.

I assume the HP IIIP printer has a "counter" built in ... but in checking
the manual ... I do not see any reference to one ... or a way to display its
contents.

Do you know how to display the counter so that in future I can check the
number of copies I am getting pre cartridge? What has been your
experience with third party cartridges ... as an alternative to the (higher
priced!) HP brand?

Thanks.

David
dbell@kw.igs.net

David,

You can print a test page every time you put in a new toner cartridge. The test
page has the total number of pages printed to date.

Take the printer off-line, and step thru the various items shown on the control
panel to find the choice to print a test page... Ben Myers

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 22:39:04 -0500, "David Bell" <dbell@kw.igs.net> wrote:

>I have an older (old!) HP IIIP printer that I bought new several years ago.
>The last time I needed a new toner cartridge I purchased the KO-REC brand
>... and not the HP branded one. Prior to that I always used the HP brand.
>
>I now have to replace the cartridge again ... and I don't think I got close
>to the 3000 copies suggested with the HP brand cartridge.
>
>I assume the HP IIIP printer has a "counter" built in ... but in checking
>the manual ... I do not see any reference to one ... or a way to display its
>contents.
>
>Do you know how to display the counter so that in future I can check the
>number of copies I am getting pre cartridge? What has been your
>experience with third party cartridges ... as an alternative to the (higher
>priced!) HP brand?
>
>Thanks.
>
>David
>dbell@kw.igs.net