I've had it with saving jpg's...

Steve-O

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

Yes, I've spent hours searching and reading all the posts
about not being able to save bmps and jpgs. That's not
my problem. I am able to save picture files as JPEG.
That's right, the default extension when using the
toolbar that appears when you hover the mouse over a
picture and click the SAVE icon only allows JPEG as the
default, unless I actually type in ".jpg". In the drop
down box that says "save file as type" it say JPG but
when you click save, the file shows up as JPEG. Once in
Windows Explorer, the only files that will display in the
file list are JPG not JPEG. Is there really any way to
fix this? It wasn't screwed up until I installed MS Word
in a clean install of XP Home, then it started
happening. And yes, I tried uninstall/reinstall of Word
and that did nothing. Frustration with over six months
of searching PC tweak and freak sites for a fix has led
me to post out of desperation. Needless to say, any
suggestions would be most appreciated (except of course
for those that say "clear the IE Temporary Files folder"
and "delete all your cookies" and all the other fixes
that don't concern this problem). So if you think you
can address this specific concern, have at it. I've
pulled all my hair out trying...(pics on request) :)

What is the problem? Do the pictures display?

..JPEG = JPEG bitmap (filename extension).
..JPG = file extension for JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group). A file
stored in JPEG format. JPEG,an ISO/ITU standard for storing images with high
compression capability, uses a discreet cosine transform that can achieve
compression rates of 100:1 (significant loss of data from original) and 20:1
(minimal loss). C-Cube Microsystems introduced the first JPEG chip.

Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
File types tab |
What does it show for jpg?
What does it show for jpeg?

From what I know, Jpg and jpeg is the same. One is just an abreviation of
the other.

[[JPEG images have a file extension of ".jpg" or ".jpeg" and are the second
most common format for images on the Web.]]

I did find this >>
[[One difference between JPG and JPEG is, as I see it, that if you wanna
thumball your pictures, Office 2003 dont "see" JPG but only JPEG ]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:10a0f01c44028$eb5f5720$a101280a@phx.gbl,
Steve-O <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Yes, I've spent hours searching and reading all the posts
> about not being able to save bmps and jpgs. That's not
> my problem. I am able to save picture files as JPEG.
> That's right, the default extension when using the
> toolbar that appears when you hover the mouse over a
> picture and click the SAVE icon only allows JPEG as the
> default, unless I actually type in ".jpg". In the drop
> down box that says "save file as type" it say JPG but
> when you click save, the file shows up as JPEG. Once in
> Windows Explorer, the only files that will display in the
> file list are JPG not JPEG. Is there really any way to
> fix this? It wasn't screwed up until I installed MS Word
> in a clean install of XP Home, then it started
> happening. And yes, I tried uninstall/reinstall of Word
> and that did nothing. Frustration with over six months
> of searching PC tweak and freak sites for a fix has led
> me to post out of desperation. Needless to say, any
> suggestions would be most appreciated (except of course
> for those that say "clear the IE Temporary Files folder"
> and "delete all your cookies" and all the other fixes
> that don't concern this problem). So if you think you
> can address this specific concern, have at it. I've
> pulled all my hair out trying...(pics on request) :)

They ARE one and the same, reason being that all filename extensions can
only be three letters. JPEG is short for Joint Photographic Experiment
Project, created to improve graphics quality over the original Graphics
Interface Format, better known as GIF. I also wonder, "What's the beef?" ,
to paraphrase the hamburger commercial many years ago asking "Where's the
beef?"

Malv

> What is the problem? Do the pictures display?
>
> .JPEG = JPEG bitmap (filename extension).
> .JPG = file extension for JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group). A file
> stored in JPEG format. JPEG,an ISO/ITU standard for storing images with
high
> compression capability, uses a discreet cosine transform that can achieve
> compression rates of 100:1 (significant loss of data from original) and
20:1
> (minimal loss). C-Cube Microsystems introduced the first JPEG chip.
>
> Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
> File types tab |
> What does it show for jpg?
> What does it show for jpeg?
>
> From what I know, Jpg and jpeg is the same. One is just an abreviation of
> the other.
>
> [[JPEG images have a file extension of ".jpg" or ".jpeg" and are the
second
> most common format for images on the Web.]]
>
> I did find this >>
> [[One difference between JPG and JPEG is, as I see it, that if you wanna
> thumball your pictures, Office 2003 dont "see" JPG but only JPEG ]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes

Malvern;

I remember that ad well. It *was* a classic. :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:c8ofs3$4ch$0@216.39.176.123,
Malvern <thisis@fak> hunted and pecked:
> They ARE one and the same, reason being that all filename extensions
> can only be three letters. JPEG is short for Joint Photographic
> Experiment Project, created to improve graphics quality over the
> original Graphics Interface Format, better known as GIF. I also
> wonder, "What's the beef?" , to paraphrase the hamburger commercial
> many years ago asking "Where's the beef?"
>
> Malv

>> What is the problem? Do the pictures display?
>>
>> .JPEG = JPEG bitmap (filename extension).
>> .JPG = file extension for JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group). A
>> file stored in JPEG format. JPEG,an ISO/ITU standard for storing
>> images with high compression capability, uses a discreet cosine
>> transform that can achieve compression rates of 100:1 (significant
>> loss of data from original) and 20:1 (minimal loss). C-Cube
>> Microsystems introduced the first JPEG chip.
>>
>> Start | Run | Type: control folders | OK |
>> File types tab |
>> What does it show for jpg?
>> What does it show for jpeg?
>>
>> From what I know, Jpg and jpeg is the same. One is just an
>> abreviation of the other.
>>
>> [[JPEG images have a file extension of ".jpg" or ".jpeg" and are the
>> second most common format for images on the Web.]]
>>
>> I did find this >>
>> [[One difference between JPG and JPEG is, as I see it, that if you
>> wanna thumball your pictures, Office 2003 dont "see" JPG but only
>> JPEG ]]
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes

Clara Peller was the actress in it; I think it was for Wendy's (?). I do
remember it got her a spot on the "Tonight Show" with good ol' Johnny Carson
as a result of the ad's popularity.

Malv

> Malvern;
>
> I remember that ad well. It *was* a classic. :)
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:c8ofs3$4ch$0@216.39.176.123,
> Malvern <thisis@fak> hunted and pecked:
> > They ARE one and the same, reason being that all filename extensions
> > can only be three letters. JPEG is short for Joint Photographic
> > Experiment Project, created to improve graphics quality over the
> > original Graphics Interface Format, better known as GIF. I also
> > wonder, "What's the beef?" , to paraphrase the hamburger commercial
> > many years ago asking "Where's the beef?"
> >
> > Malv

:)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:c8r05v$t8v$0@216.39.176.48,
Malvern <thisis@fak> hunted and pecked:
> Clara Peller was the actress in it; I think it was for Wendy's (?).
> I do remember it got her a spot on the "Tonight Show" with good ol'
> Johnny Carson as a result of the ad's popularity.
>
> Malv

>> Malvern;
>>
>> I remember that ad well. It *was* a classic. :)
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:c8ofs3$4ch$0@216.39.176.123,
>> Malvern <thisis@fak> hunted and pecked:
>>> They ARE one and the same, reason being that all filename extensions
>>> can only be three letters. JPEG is short for Joint Photographic
>>> Experiment Project, created to improve graphics quality over the
>>> original Graphics Interface Format, better known as GIF. I also
>>> wonder, "What's the beef?" , to paraphrase the hamburger commercial
>>> many years ago asking "Where's the beef?"
>>>
>>> Malv

Steve-O

Distinguished
May 22, 2004

The problem is that Windows is saving all image files as
a default jpeg extension. My viewer program only
displays files with a jpg extension, so I have to
manually type in ".jpg" to append every file I save in
order to effectively archive and administer the files in
the viewer program. BTW, the program is ACDSee. To
those who asked "What's the beef", the beef is that I
didn't used to have to do this. Windows used to accept
the default extension as .jpg so that if I accepted the
filename as is, or even if I had to edit the filename,
all that was left was to hit the enter key and the .jpg
extension was added automatically. It's just a tedious
situation that didn't used to exist until I added MS
Office 97. As I mentioned in my previous post, I've
already tried uninstall/reinstall with no luck and went
to the folder options for file associations as a first
resort. The association for both extensions is to open
with ACDSee. Just wanted to let you know... Looks like
I'm stuck with the anomaly, but don't feel rained on; no
one else has been able to effectively address the problem
or offer a working solution either. Thanks for your time
and effort. Later...