Motherboard Help Please

necrodreamer

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
Im looking for a Pentium4 motherboard 1.4 - 2.0 ghz compatible (Asus, Abit, ECS, Shuttle). It has to be low cost, chipset doesn't matter (VIA, Intel, SIS) that supports more than "2" DDR 3200 slots. I always find nice featured mb's for a good price that supports the 400mhz DDR 3200, but only 2 slots and only like 1.0 - 1.5gb total! the other two slots (4 total) are always Basic SDRAM slots. So I guess what im asking for is one that doesnt have pcXXX SDRAM and leaves room for one or two more DDR. I would really prefer ECS. NO onboard sound or video, but will purchase with onboard if needed. If ANYONE has any info I would be greatly in debt. thanks for your time and patience.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I would seriously advise against ECS. Perhaps the Asus P4S533 will fit your needs? Do you plan on overclocking?

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

necrodreamer

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
thanks for the quick reply. I am going to check out the spec's of the ASUS now. I also want to thank everyone for being of such help on these forums. this is a great tech environment and its good to see that everyone is coming together to help one another out.

necrodreamer

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2002
In the future I would maybe do a little overclocking. Would that board fully utilize the 2 512mb DDR 3200 sticks I have already purchased?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I hear that Asus board will run DDR400 speeds for the memory, but that they don't advertise this feature. When you overclock, you'll end up dropping the memory to the PC2700 ratio anyway, because the bus speed increase will raise the memory from it's base setting.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
only problem is that ASUS boards inevitably cost more than other similar products from compeditors.

if you want to save $$$, avoid asus.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>