First system done! Many thanks.

HokieESM

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
I just finished my first "full" computer build today! I wanted to say a big "thank you" to the members of this board--several of you have helped me directly and others have helped through posting their general knowledge on the board. Here's what I ended up doing:

Asus P4T533-C
P4B 2.26GHz
512MB PC1066 RDRAM (Kingston)
ATi Radeon 8500 (275/275 version)
WD800JB HDD
Lite-On 32x CDRW
all in an Antec SX1080B (430W) case! Oh yeah.... and the Sony G420S that I'm staring at. :smile:

It works beautifully--I've spent all day today intalling the myriad of programs I normally use and transferring over my files from my other computer (via a Linksys router--its a lifesaver).

My next acquisitions are a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz and a set of Altec Lansing ATP3s... but I have to "recover" from the initial cash outlay (the onboard sound and old speakers will have to do for now).

But in any event, THANKS!!!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
do you have a home stereo system???
use that as your "set of speakers" hehehe
i have. its great.

and the 800JB is a nice little number aint it? wellcome to the JB club :smile:

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>

HokieESM

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah, I thought about that.... but the problem is, my home theatre system is about, oh, 40 feet from my computer in the living room. So it would sound odd... not to mention, 40 ft cables are expensive! :smile:

And yes, I love the WD800JB... the speed is nice, but to be honest, the fact that it runs VERY quietly is the greatest. My old system (a 1.4 Athlon) sounded like a vacuum cleaner because of all the fans and the loud HDD.

Anyhow, thanks again!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hehe ok

yeah the JB is nice. very quiet on the seeks, even better than the 60gxp.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Cool, nice settup. You'll love those speakers BTW, I've loved mine for over 2 years!

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>