Low Disk Space - Disk Cleanup Tool

Hi,
I am receiving a balloon message denoting Low disk space -
upon clicking it I get a disk clean up tool list, I
understand the removal of temp files, recycle etc. but
there is one for "Office Files". The description which
comes up for removing these files states I may have to
have the original installation to put them back. I have
not done the on-line Microsoft Office installation on
this new system yet (need cash first), so I don't want to
really delete them. If I do, how do I get them back, my
system did not come with any installation disks, I did
however do a complete set of back up CD's.

One other question, how do I stop this from occuring? I
have already found an article in the tech information
section on this site a "how to" for disabling this, but
don't think it's a good idea. My system is 250GB drive,
so I just don't get it?? How can this be low??? Hardly
anything on my system yet.
Thanks in advance for your help!!
Sharon
5 answers Last reply
More about disk space disk cleanup tool

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 08:26:20 -0700, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
    you wrote:

    > I am receiving a balloon message denoting Low disk space -
    > upon clicking it I get a disk clean up tool list, I
    > understand the removal of temp files, recycle etc. but
    > there is one for "Office Files". The description which
    > comes up for removing these files states I may have to
    > have the original installation to put them back. I have
    > not done the on-line Microsoft Office installation on
    > this new system yet (need cash first), so I don't want to
    > really delete them. If I do, how do I get them back, my
    > system did not come with any installation disks, I did
    > however do a complete set of back up CD's.

    Office XP will place a copy of the setup files on the hard drive for
    on-the-fly repairs. These are noted in Disk Cleanup as "Office Files." This
    is a convenience option only. It's not necessary to keep these if the
    Office CD is handy.

    NOTE: Many of the Office updates require the Office CD to be inserted
    during setup so you will want to keep it handy anyhow.

    Personally, I've gone ahead and allowed the disk copy of Office files to
    stay put. I like convenient things that save me time.

    > One other question, how do I stop this from occuring? I
    > have already found an article in the tech information
    > section on this site a "how to" for disabling this, but
    > don't think it's a good idea. My system is 250GB drive,
    > so I just don't get it?? How can this be low??? Hardly
    > anything on my system yet.
    > Thanks in advance for your help!!

    The hard drive is 250 GB but is it divided up into partitions? If yes, what
    is the size of the partition that Window is operating from? How much free
    space does it have?

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    The problem is I don't have an Office CD - My system came
    with a 60Day Office XP Demo only - so I dodn't have a way
    to re-intall - do I remove these files with the Disk
    Clean up tool or not?

    >> One other question, how do I stop this from occuring?
    >> have already found an article in the tech information
    >> section on this site a "how to" for disabling this,
    but
    >> don't think it's a good idea. My system is 250GB
    drive,
    >> so I just don't get it?? How can this be low??? Hardly
    >> anything on my system yet.
    >> Thanks in advance for your help!!
    >
    >The hard drive is 250 GB but is it divided up into
    partitions? If yes, what
    >is the size of the partition that Window is operating
    from? How much free
    >space does it have?

    Okay, it appears that there is a drive C and a drive D.
    Looking at the C Drive it states: Total Size 13.9 GB Free
    Space 767 MB

    Looking at the D Drive it states: Total Size 212 GB Free
    Space 212 GB

    >--
    >Sharon F
    >MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User
    >.

    Hope this is what you are asking for
    Sharon

    Sharon

    You need to move programmes etc from your C partition to your D partition. Uninstall and reinstall using the Add / Remove Programs facility in Start, Control Panel. All you need in your C partition is your Windows operating system.

    What is the future regarding the Office XP demo? Do you intend to buy when the 60 days has expired? All data files can be moved by creating folders in the D partition to hold your data files and copy and paste from the folders in the C partition. You can then delete the data files on the C drive.

    Use Windows Explorer to view where files and folders are located. Start, All Programmes, Accessories, Windows Explorer. To see system files select Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View and check the option "Show Hidden Files anf Folders. This will help you understand how files are organised on your hard disk, However, you should not try moving system files in Windows Explorer -only data files.

    Are you using Outlook Express?

    --

    ~~~~~~

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    On Sun, 23 May 2004 15:32:30 -0700, Sharon wrote:

    > Okay, it appears that there is a drive C and a drive D.
    > Looking at the C Drive it states: Total Size 13.9 GB Free
    > Space 767 MB
    >
    > Looking at the D Drive it states: Total Size 212 GB Free
    > Space 212 GB
    >
    > Hope this is what you are asking for

    Yes, that's what I was looking for. It explains the low disk space
    messages. These appear when available drive space drops below 20% of total
    disk space (applied on a per partition basis). 767MB is barely enough for
    growth in the swapfile. Among other things, low disk space will block the
    automatic creation of system restore and the operations of disk
    defragmenter. You need to make some more free space available on C:

    As Gerry has already mentioned, move some of your programs over to D: by
    uninstalling and reinstalling. In the future, install new software to D: as
    well. The opportunity to direct the location of the installation appears
    during setup. If it does not come up in the default, screens, you may have
    to run the "Customize" install instead of "Typical" to make them appear.

    TIP: Create a Programs Files folder on D:. That makes changing the location
    very easy on the setup screens. Simply change "C:" to "D:" in the path and
    click Next. Example:
    The default location will appear in the text box:
    C:\Program Files\New Program
    Highlight C: and change it to D: and it will become
    D:\Program Files\New Program.

    Another thing you could do is move your My Documents folder over to D:
    Right click drag the folder to that location. When you release, take the
    Move Here choice. Answer yes to copying all read only files. Personally, I
    allowed My Music and My Pictures to be moved too (subfolders within My
    Documents). XP will keep track of the new location and when you move the
    folder in this manner it will automatically update all internal references
    to the My Documents folder.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User