HELP: USR 5450 as repeater ?

Hi,

I own a US Robotics 8054 Broadband router and access point and a USR 5450
multifunction access point.
I want to make the 5450 acts as a repeater for the 8054, but I'm not able to
get it to work.

I use a USR 5416 pc-card in my laptop to connect to the network. All
hardware has the latest drivers and firmware.

Since the manual and USR-support aren't clear about how to set this up, I
turn to you all to help me out ...

Has anyone successfully has a similar setup working?

How do I configure the machines?
Do I use the same SSID, the same channel, do I have to connect to the
repeater manually, is it normal that when I want to connect that I always
have to type in the WEP-keys?

The best result I had was that I was able to connect to the rep, and when I
went closer to the 8054, it switched connection, but then my
internet-connection was gone.
When I went back to the rep, de PC didn't switch automaticly and I had to
connect manually ...

It seems that I can get one machine to work properly, but not both ...

Please some usefull help !!

Thanx

Tom
1 answer Last reply
More about help 5450 repeater

    "Tom van Oosterwyck" <Tom.vanOosterwyck@advalvas.be> wrote in

    > I own a US Robotics 8054 Broadband router and access point and a
    > USR 5450 multifunction access point.
    > I want to make the 5450 acts as a repeater for the 8054, but I'm
    > not able to get it to work.

    <aside> The USR 5450 is based on the Global Sun Technology GL2454AP,
    as is the D-Link DWL-2000AP and probably other brand name products as
    well </aside>

    > Has anyone successfully has a similar setup working?

    Similar, yes - but using D-Link kit, so that's what my response is
    based on.

    > How do I configure the machines?
    > Do I use the same SSID, the same channel

    Yes. Both the SSID and channel should be the same. [Note that when
    using one of these devices in repeater mode, the channel is the same
    by definition - there is only a single radio]

    On D-Link kit you do not need to set these manually - once you have
    configured the device with the MAC address of the access point you
    wish to repeat that's it, it's automatic.

    > ... do I have to connect to
    > the repeater manually

    Generally, a wireless client device will associate with the strongest
    signal (assuming the SSID and WEP key match). This may or not be the
    repeater, depending on device position and signal strength. If you
    specifically want to connect to the repeater, you will need to select
    it by its BSSID, which is its MAC address.

    The WinXP Wireles Zero Configuration service does not (currently)
    distinguish between multiple access points with the same SSID, so you
    will need to use the USR utility to connect to the device of your
    choice.

    > ... is it normal that when I want to connect
    > that I always have to type in the WEP-keys?

    No - that's not normal. However, I do suggest that you get the system
    working *without* any wireless security first. When you are happy
    everything is OK, then you can (re)enable your security.

    > The best result I had was that I was able to connect to the rep,
    > and when I went closer to the 8054, it switched connection

    Yes, it should connect (associate) with the strongest signal.
    However, this 'roaming' feature does require significant differences
    in signal strength for automatic switching.

    > ... but
    > then my internet-connection was gone.

    That shouldn't happen. Roaming should be transparent.

    > When I went back to the rep, de PC didn't switch automaticly and I
    > had to connect manually ...

    That's possible. If there is still a good signal, the wireless client
    device (station) will not switch until the signal becomes
    unacceptably low. Suggest you test with the repeater much further
    from the access point (the wireless router) and the PC further away
    still. Using D-Link kit I can can get it to work at well over 50m
    from the access point with a repeater midway. Could be that your
    testing is being done with everything too close together.

    > It seems that I can get one machine to work properly, but not both

    Not sure what the problem is, but seems like you're pretty close to
    me.

    Hope this helps

    --

    Richard Perkin
    To email me, change the AT in the address below

    is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't her's.
    It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and theirs.

Connection Wireless Networking