Sign in with
Your question

powering down problem

Last response: in Motherboards
June 22, 2002 2:44:28 PM

Anybody have any ideas on the following minor, but annoying, problem? Basically, my computer hangs when I ask it to shut itself off (or re-boot) via Windows; i.e., I have to power it off (or re-boot) manually. I've searched through the BIOS and Windows to find a solution, but nothing. Did I miss a jumper on the mobo? Here's my basic specs:

Soyo KT333 dragon ultra
Windows XP
AMD 2100 cpu
Radeon 8500 DV video
soundblaster audigy soundcard

Any ideas?

More about : powering problem

June 22, 2002 3:08:58 PM

Strange you say that, I have the exact same problem. You're right, minor problem, but it is annoying.

Soyo SY-KT333 Dragon Ultra
Windows 2000 Professional
AMD AXP 1800+ Oc'd
Geforce2 Pro retail at 225/444
SoundBlaster Live 5.1

I have no idea what it could be, possibly either a Soyo problem or PSU. It wouldn't make sense if it was a Via problem, or others would have complained about their Kt-333 boards...i'm guessing it has to do with Soyo's power interface on the motherboard, or the BIOS. Might be a good idea to check Soyo's website for a new BIOS.

"When there's a will, there's a way."
June 22, 2002 6:42:45 PM

Glad (and sad) to hear that there are others out there with this problem. I did update the bios a few weeks ago, but it didn't help. I also sent an email to Soyo's tech support about a month ago but, as expected, they never responded.
Related resources
June 23, 2002 12:41:16 AM

*shakes head* I don't think email is the best idea, i'm planning on giving tech support a phone call this monday. I checked their website, it said for the boot problem you should either update the BIOS, clear the CMOS, or get the BIOS reflashed. Tried the first two, didn't help me very much. Not a big problem, but i'd like to get to the bottom of this.

June 23, 2002 2:20:09 AM

Yeah -- email is too easy to ignore. Tangential question: what's the difference between reflashing and updating? I tried -- I think -- reflashing, but perhaps it was actually updating. I did not reset the CMOS, however. Either way, it did not help.

Good luck with the phone call on Monday, and let me know how it turns out if you could.
July 2, 2002 4:01:06 PM

Did you ever get ahold of tech support? What'd they say?
July 2, 2002 4:42:22 PM

No luck, either too many extensions, or the evil message, "This number cannot be reached..." I'm never trying to call Taiwan or their "American product support" again! I tried Soyo's webpage, and that didn't help. But, I have the problem down to the power supply. I think that 300 watts just isn't cutting it. Going to test on 350 and 430 watts, then buy a new one from Antec or Enermax.

July 2, 2002 9:06:25 PM

Unfortunate, but oh so typical. I hope your power supply idea works. I have a 431 watt supply (enermax eg465p), though, so I don't know if you're on to the right solution. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
September 13, 2003 1:40:33 PM

Hello again, I'm tbms (back under new email), and am still suffering this powering down problem. I have been able to track the problem to the Audigy soundcard (I've seen several posts under soundcards related to this). Have you found a solution?
September 13, 2003 3:30:56 PM

I pretty sure it's a software installed that causes this, I know that when I first install windows using a fresh install my computer reboots normaly but after installing the mobo drivers it takes a minute. I assum your problem is also related to a software the comes with the mobo that you install (probably drivers but doesn't have to be).

Roses are <font color=red>red</font color=red>, violets are <font color=blue>blue</font color=blue>, post something stupid and I won't reply to you!
September 14, 2003 8:57:07 AM

If you installed a win2k patch 329170 it could be the cause of your shut down problem. Go to add/remove programs and see if it is listed there. If it is, un-install it then see if it shuts down better. Also perhaps event viewer may help you to determine the cause of the hang up.
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2003 1:15:37 AM

I told everyone how bad Soyo's tech support was months ago, and everyone said "[-peep-] off" to me. It took me 6 RMA submissions, 4 phone calls that each lasted around 2 hours ($$$long distance), and 8 months to get them to RMA a new motherboard...but even then they wanted $15 to replace it under warranty!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
September 15, 2003 2:58:47 AM

What the heck is the $15 bucks for, if it's under warranty.
a b V Motherboard
September 15, 2003 3:20:06 AM

"Handling" fee. Yep, their warranty is nearly worthless.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!