Sign in with
Your question

FPS questions

Last response: in Video Games
September 30, 2006 1:28:54 AM

Hello all. I've browsed these forums for quite some time but finally decided to post. I'm having FPS issues in WOW. My system specs are athlon 64 3200(939pin) 1 gig memory geforce 7600GT 180g hd. What is the biggest factor in your FPS? my specs arent too bad on my pc with the details turned down to around mid way but in some heavy gameplay like in PVP when alot of area of effect(aoe) spells are going off my fps will sometimes drop to around 8-10. Is the 7600GT just not a good card? I had a 6600 GT before it that died awhile ago and it seemed to do every bit as good really.

I've also noticed while im playing in close combat recently that i will get a small 2 sec like video lag then my video will be slow for like another couple seconds then its fine. I just updated to Norton anti virus 2006 recently. It seems the video lags started after i installed it. I've always had the fps issues. Could the stutter be from norton? I had norton 2005 before it though and it never did this. I disabled internet worm protection and auto protect, and it still does it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm mainly concerned with the FPS issues. Also I was going to update my video card drivers and followed the instructions on the nvidia site to remove the old ones like I always have, but I have no option to remove video driver only. I emailed evga several times and they are not so good to deal with bolth responces from them was not helpful whats so ever. any help on that would be good too. Thanks in advance. -Kilby

More about : fps questions

October 4, 2006 3:13:34 PM

Your system should run WoW without a problem. I ran WoW using an Athlon 1.8Ghz proc, 512 MB of ram and an Athlon 9800 Pro for a long time. I did have lag/stutter issues, but that was mostly due to my ram. When I upgraded to 2GB of ram, almost all my issues disappeared. WoW is a memory hog, and the more you have the better as far as it's concerned.

And yes, Norton 2006 can be an issue as well. I had a lot of trouble with it slowing all the games I played, not just WoW. It got to the point that I would disable it whenever I went to play a game.

As for slowing down in heavy PvP, unless you're system is bleeding edge, top-of-the-line, and your on a very fast connection, that's just something you'll have to deal with. Making the above changes will help though.
October 6, 2006 2:00:42 PM

System memory does seem to be the bottleneck in this game, and it is pretty easy to add more, so I would pursue that first. You might want to track your latency values as well. Many of the UI mods have an option to show this in always visible, real-time numbers (so you don't have to mouse over every time to check it) - this might help diagnose a connection related issue. WoW is always subject to lag spikes of varying duration, but if you are seeing latencies on the high side of the green range that may be a contributing factor as well. Killing the AV software is not a bad idea either, as the previous poster suggested, and I would definitely limit the number of memory-resident apps in general; Norton is a huge hog if you run any of their suites (Systemworks, etc.). Otherwise you have plenty of power to run the game well. Good Luck!
Related resources
October 15, 2006 10:46:33 AM

Thanks alot for bolth of your guys suggestions. I think I will add another gig of memory. I unistalled norton as well, and the video stutter went away. How do you totaly disable your AV software? I did not see an option to do that anywhere in norton 2006.
October 19, 2006 10:44:17 PM

Another issue with Wow is that no matter how good your computer is, you will still get lag at certain places and times. They don't spend enough time and money to fix their server problems and it causes lag not just when your in busy places.
!