im retarded

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i think i need one of those guides that tells me all about linux, i thought i had a good idea of it but its so foreign to me i dont know where to start. just installing macromedia flash took 20 min and probly gave me at least 4 grey hairs. is there even a way to give myself root privledges? is there a way to login as root? when i try to do stuff it asks me for the password and it takes it just fine but i was doing somthing and i couldnt do it cause i didnt have permision. if any one can give me a good read on the basics of linux i will name one of my childeren after you.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

Carnecerro

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2003
Actually a great site to check out is www.linuxquestions.org. Also when doing a search, make sure you go to www.google.com/linux. I am a linux noob myself and you should have set up you root password at install. In your terminal type su - root and it should ask for a password and log you into root.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i know the password to root, but i cant give the username it made me create root access? this is enough to drive a man to smoking. ive already had two cigarettes in the past two days cause this is pissing me off so much rofl. thanks for the links

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring (optional) cheating death!

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
For your login it's just "root"

Like user = jhiggs
user = root

and that'll log you in as root. This is generally not recommended though, so a better way to do it is to log in as jhiggs and then at the command prompt type

su

It'll then ask you for the root password, you enter it, and from that shell you then have root privileges.

s signature has been formatted to fit your scr