Trouble shooting a free Asus PII 300, need help

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Trying to fix a free Asus PII 300, need help

My friend was given a free computer but he can’t get to mobo to fire up.
It’s an Asus motherboard that uses PC100, has an AGP, 3 PCI and 2 ISA, and a PII400 CPU. Checked all the jumpers and connections but everything looks right. Ill post the model number when I get it.

All that’s installed is the video (AGP) and a floppy. When you hit the power switch the fan for the CPU and PS comes on for ½ a second and stops, no beeps, Any Ideas?

<font color=green>1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nd4? 4.Nxe5?? Qg5 5.Nxf7 Qxg2 6.Rf1 Qxe4+ 7.Be2 Nf3#</font color=green>

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That was the 1st thing I tried. I shorted out the 2 pins but only for a few seconds, how long dose it take to clear? Do u need to power it up while the pins are shorted out? The manual for the board has no instructions for this procedure.

<font color=green>1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nd4? 4.Nxe5?? Qg5 5.Nxf7 Qxg2 6.Rf1 Qxe4+ 7.Be2 Nf3#</font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
When you say the power switch do you mean the one on the case? Silly question maybe, but some power supplies also have a switch, and turning on the power supply only makes the fan run for about a second.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
When I say power switch I mean the one the case, that goes to the mother board. The PS is already on.

Here’s a run down of exactly what happens.

1 turn on PS, nothing happens.
2 hit power switch, CPU and PS fan runs for ½ a second.
If I hit the power switch or reset nothing happens.
If I turn off the PS then back on the fans will spin again for the ½ second.

Weird hu.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Is this a system that was working, then quit? Nothing changed? Because I've seen this problem when the motherboard is grounded through a misplaced standoff.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is the story, I think.

It stopped working one day, the guy took it to the repair shop and they told him the hard drive was bad and wanted a bunch of money to fix it. So the guy just decided to buy a new computer and gave this one to my friend.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
They did have everything disconnected form the Mobo. I’m talking about power and jumpers. They must have taken it out of the case. Why else would everything be disconnected?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Make sure all the mounting post line up with the holes in the board, and all the jumpers are in the right locations. Especially the BIOS reset jumper, make sure that's in the normal position, not the reset position.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don’t think this board has a reset “jumper” just 2 solder points you short out with a screwdriver.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm not really sure when they quit putting the Clear BIOS jumper on, they used to have one and now they don't. The first Asus board I owned that didn't was the CUSL2.