Access Denied help

Have some files under Documents and settings owner. After
a virus attack I was required to install the XP on a new
HD (MASTER). I then wanted to retrieve the files from the
old hard drive (SLAVE)after removing the virus. However
the folder indicates Access Denied and will not allow me
to gain access. all other files on the drive are there.
Is this directory password protected? if so how to I
unlock it?
1 answer Last reply
More about access denied help

    Hi,

    You need to take ownership of them. Right-click the folder, select
    properties. Go to the security tab and click advanced. You can take control
    of the folders on the owner tab. For the security tab to appear in a WinXP
    Pro system, you must disable simple file sharing in the control panel/folder
    options/view tab. For a WinXP Home system, you must restart in safe mode and
    logon as administrator. More details here:

    HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    An additional note for WinXP Pro users: This procedure will not help you
    recover data if the files are encrypted. All you will be able to do is
    delete them. To recover encrypted files you will need the original
    encryption certificate or a Recovery Agent from the installation under which
    they were encrypted. Without one of these, the files are not recoverable.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    "hoppy1955" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Have some files under Documents and settings owner. After
    > a virus attack I was required to install the XP on a new
    > HD (MASTER). I then wanted to retrieve the files from the
    > old hard drive (SLAVE)after removing the virus. However
    > the folder indicates Access Denied and will not allow me
    > to gain access. all other files on the drive are there.
    > Is this directory password protected? if so how to I
    > unlock it?

Windows XP