Few Questions from a Newbie

zairil

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hi guys,
been playing nethack off and on for the past 5 yrs, but never really gone far..too many stupid mistakes ..but would like to one day ascend..
kinda need some help with this questions..
Since im kind of a novice, i usually play with a Male Barbarian. So this questions are based on that character;

1) What would be a good thing to wish for?

2) What would be top on the list of monsters to genocide?

3) What key items do u need to finish the game?

4) How do u uncurse cursed items (besides armor) ..ie wands, rings

5) I onced travelled deep into the gnomish mines. At one stage, i just couldnt go down anymore.. do i hv to climb back up? or am i doing something wrong?

6) i hv reached level 10 or 11 , and i came accross a huge room with loads of monsters. by the time im up there, they have all surrounded me..this is as far as i hv reached as i keep dying here.. how do i overcome?

7) whats a *** transporter?

8) basically, can someone pls run through wht i need to do to complete nethack?

im sorry if this questions are elementary.. i hv not been playing often until recently though i started 5 yrs ago.. also, sorry if this questions have been asked and answered...
appreciate yr help & thanks in advance..

cheers

Mariko

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2005
1) it depends on what your caracter is, but the best (in my opinion) things to wish for are: a bag of holding/ amulet of reflection (but you can get one of them from Sokoban so think carefully if you want to wish for them). Amulet of life saving is good, speed boots, gauntlets of power (it you are not a wizard, because it hinders you cababilities to cast spells), 2 scrolls of charging, ring of slow digestion etc.

2) Genocide: soldier ants, lich, master lich (my favourite)

3) haven't been able to finish the game so can't say. Do you mean what are the most important items in the game? Good armour and a good weapon are important, a bag of holding is a good help to carry things. Amulet of life saving has been one of the best items to help to survive.

4) you could wield the item and read a scroll of remove curse. Or dip it into holy water.

5) There are no more leves to go down, so you have no choice but go back up.

6) You better have a scroll of teleport or a wand of teleport and just try to move when you are surrouded. Or dig your way downstairs and come to that level just for a while (better stay above stairs so you can escape). Good to have many pets and let them handle most of the enemies. Could wield a cocatrice if available and stone them (better have gloves on).

7) transporter is your way to your caracters quest-levels. Better you go there when you have enough exp or it may be difficult to pass (and it requiers a certain exp-level that you can go pass the first level anyway).

I hope some of these hints are helpfull :).

zairil

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
thanks for the helpful hints..
but i did read somewhre tht it is impossible to complete nethack..is that true?

also, i hv been going through alot of items but i dont seem to see the purpose of the following items,

1) Slime mold juice
2) Scroll of punishment
3) Wand of cancellation
4) wand of nothing
5) amulet of strangulation

are there just items tht take up space with little or no use? i dont seem to know any useful way to use them..

Mariko

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2005
I have hear that some have completed Nethack, so it must bo true ;). I personally have reached in my best games about 30th level in Nethack with Wizard (witch is my favourite caracter since I like the ability to cast spells).

About those items: their function is as far as I can see to make the game more difficult (amulets of strangulation and scroll of punishment) so that you shouldn't read or wear anything unless you know if it isn't cursed. I give a fun excample in my current game: I'm a wizard, exp 14, level 24. I find a scroll of genocide and was too lazy to find out if it was cursed. So I found my self surrounded by Master liches!! Fun!

You can actually use wand of cancellation to cancel things that has happen in the last turn (I think; I have rarely used it). It could be quite usefull sometimes.

Some juices can cure blindness so those can be usefull too.
Wand of nothing is quite useless.
But I have collected these more or less useless items anyway in case I get a wand of polymorph: pile a lot of useless things in one spot and zap them: you can get a lot of more usefull items instead!