Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<b>Problem1</b>

Relevant system info:
>ASUS TUSL2-C
>2x256MB Micron CAS2
>1.2 Tually
>300 watt PS.

My PC automatically boots into the CPU frequency settings of the BIOS every time I start it. This only happens from a cold start, not when I restart the machine from within Windows. I do not have to make any changes in the BIOS when this happens. All I have to do is "exit saving (or even not saving) changes" & it boots fine into Win2K.

I was thinking maybe this is related to either the mobo battery or a BIOS setting. Since the mobo is almost brand new, I tend to dismiss the former.

Any ideas?

<b>Problem2</b>

Win2K keeps on finding new hardware when I start/restart my machine. I have no clue what it's looking for. I just did a fresh install & <b>no hardware</b> was addred/removed. In Device Manager there is a yellow exclamation mark next to:

<i>Other devices
PCI device</i>

The only cards in my machine are video (which is AGP anyway), & my Adaptec 39160 SCSI adapter. I did <b>not</b> use the native 2K drivers for the 39160 (if there is any), but the Adaptec drivers on floppy instead.

Also, I just plugged in my NIC. It gets properly detected & appears in Device Manager as well. But that damn "Found New Hardware" wizard & "Unknown device" thingy in Device Manager still persists.

Other than disabling this phantom device, how else can I stop this?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

I amd innocent intel proven guilty

Jorie

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2002
Did you install the motherboarddrivers that came with it ? It might be that it's trying to install the pci bridge.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My PC automatically boots into the CPU frequency settings of the BIOS every time I start it. This only happens from a cold start, not when I restart the machine from within Windows.
I think this is one of Asus' feature (safe mode) happens only when you cold boot. It sets everything back to default (CPU and mem's freqency).
<i>Other devices
PCI device
</i>
It might be one part of your Intel chipset. Did you let Windows automatically search for its driver?

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
problem 1 sounds like the battery, 2 sounds like you got some thing on one of your cards or chipset that it finds but the drivers you have dont know about it. it happend to me with my sound card. i had one device i couldnt figure out, it turned out when i downloaded the drivers from the manufacturer it was part of my sound card some how. get the latest drivers for every thing in your system. remove all your devices, ide channel, sound raid, video, all those goodies, restart and tell it you have disk when it asks what to do with the new device.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal