Mobo Recommendations

maticus85

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
I'm building a new system and I'm shopping for a new motherboard.

Could anyone recommend one that they have had first-hand experience with? Give me a list of the pros and cons; I want a very stable MB. Don't repeat any manufacturers proproganda and advertisements... I don't want you to try to sell me on a board.

Here's what I'm looking for:

1) Socket A (I want to be able to run at least an Athlon XP 1800+ on it)

2) ATX Form-factor (No Micro-ATX)
3) DDR memory support (I don't care how *much* DDR it can support)

4) 4xAGP/PCI slots/LPT/COM ports (You know... all that standard stuff)

5) It's not necessary, but on-board audio is OK, LAN would be cool too. But again it's not necessary.)

6) Absolutely NO built-in video.
7)I'm not an overclocker (at least not yet), so don't worry about overclocking features.

8) Ye olde standard duel IDE controllers (at least ATA-66); RAID is not necessary.

9) An average price range of less than 120 US dollars.

There. I think covers everything I'm looking for.

Thx in advance.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
i think u will find a number of boards that will fufill your needs. most using the KT333 chipset.

i suggest you check out toms hardware big kt333 review.

from personal experience the epox 8K3A is good. ive got the plus version for a few bucks more.
a most stable and high performing board.

<font color=blue>All religions are true, for a given value of 'true' - Terry Pratchett.</font color=blue>

Pwent

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2002
I personally use MSI's KT3 Ultra. I also like Abit's KX7-333 and Shuttle's Kt333 board. All three are reliable. I reccomend Shuttle's and MSI's mainly for onboard thermal sensors, but Abit boards have recently proved to be absolutely fantastic, combining speed, reliablilty, and features. Any of these three are great!

Normally, I'd include an Asus board, but there have been some issues. Lucky people get possibly the best board available. Unlucky users get raped in the bootie. Same goes for Gigabyte.

P.S. If this makes no sense, realize that is what no sleep in 4 days does to a man. Recc overview-KT3U(MSI), KX7-333(Abit), Some wierd name(Shuttle-KT333).

<font color=black>Need Money!! Accepting Donations to help better my future. Thanks!</font color=black>