Votes: 6 54.5%
  • I don't know, its a tough one.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Don't care either way.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Release of 1000 Palestinian Prisoners for one Israeli soldier.

I s it right or wrong thing to do, to release .... I thing it is wrong thing to do, as hard as it must be for the family of the soldier. It will escalate the violence, as hamas will step the kidnapping of the soldiers and civilians for more exchanges for convicted criminals.

BTW, I am glad , that I don't have to make the tough decision. Very tough.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/10/16/plan-to-release-palestinian-prisoners-spurs-debate-from-family-israeli-victims/

------------------------
/No trolling please./

Very true. This will spawn more kidnappings. But it is not a case of right or wrong. It is a case of how much a particular society values its individual members.

Just remember this next time when the Palestinians whine about "disproportionate" casualties. They set the value.

Very true.

They all were convicted criminals, murderers and terrorist, all 1027 of them. I thing that they got a deal, while the other side got short end of the stick. With more of the kidnappings coming. That's how I see it.

I would bet u US$1000 that is exactly what will happened. I'll @mail u when it will.OK?
-----------------------

I knew where u were heading with your answers, and I was right. Its not important to elaborate on this any further. It would lead to nowhere. I am very much on the side of what I think is right and I am sure that u are thinking the same way.

/This is not the platform for it./

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
With this kind of reaction to the real interesting questions, it is no wonder that peace was not found for sixty years.

I am not defending either of the parties, or if I do, it is to balance the debate a bit, because few people will. I have many grievances against the Israelis and Palestinians. We must blame the two nations.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Mercy is not the worst foreign policy choice.

I don't know enough about the situation to comment though. But both sides seemed very happy in today's news blips.

knarl

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

That doesn't make much logical sense...

They've already engaged in kidnappings in the past, and rather than having some deterrent to stop doing so, they now know if they continue to kidnap people they will get a great rate on their prisoner exchange. What reason again would they have for not just doing business as usual, while knowing that they can refresh combat trained "troops" that were lost? 1000 to 1 is a nifty deal for them, yeehaw.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
@nikorr: i'm sorry, i don't understand your question :??:
@wanamingo: agreed
@oldman: i don't know. Maybe your right. Maybe we never hear those calls.
@knarl: the important word in my sentence was "more".
The fact that there are thousands of Palestinian prisoners does not seem to excite many people.
I would like to know if all of these prisoners are really jewishbloodthirsty terrorists who have for the sole purpose to blow themselves up in a bus in Tel Aviv or Jerusalem north.
If this is not the case, I understand that these mass arrests raise vocations.

Mutt x

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
The 1000+ prisoners were convicted by independent courts of crimes and sentenced to a punishment in congruence with the law. The single Israeli was kidnapped (or taken prisoner of war if you prefer) and held without trial or conviction.

When legitimate governments negotiate with criminals (in this case kidnappers and extortionists) the end result is a loss of legitimacy for the government and an increase in power/influence for the criminals.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Alain Gresh - Le Monde Diplomatique (i try to translate.........)

Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit will be released after a long captivity. One can only rejoice for him, his family, his loved ones. And forget for a moment, he is a member of an occupying army. And no one seems to question the issue of dual nationality the soldiers, European and Israeli, operating in the occupied territories violate international law as well. When will EU decide that such acts are punishable by the courts?

According to an AFP report, Nicolas Sarkozy "warmly welcomes the announcement of an agreement that should lead to the release of Gilad Shalit," and praised Netanyahu for "major success". We are sure that Bernard Henri-Lévi will do the same.

In return, if you will, 1027 Palestinians, including 27 women, will be released. Who are they? How does their family? You do not know nothing or very little, reading the Western press. Magma is a faceless, a subgroup of 6,000 Palestinians still held in Israeli jails, including 280 children (34 under 15 years) - Israel declares how guilty he stops all children - and 22 members of Parliament. Some prisoners are "administrative", that is to say, detained without trial, others have gone through the Israeli judicial system, including all international reports confirm that it is anything but fair, that detainees are often mistreated that the evidence of guilt is weak or nonexistent. Dozens of them are now in a hunger strike. And they, they have no family? no relatives? No, they are just a number. They are Arabs, colonized faceless.

Nicolas Sarkozy will be there as much effort to secure the release of French-Palestinian Salah Hamouri? Or Marwan Barghouti, whose only crime is to be a Palestinian nationalist?

In another french newspaper, i read that Shalit was fine, has watched Le Tour de France and other tv programs etc...

knarl

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011

Well, I guess if you want to you could try and argue kidnappings will stay exactly 100% the same level. But in reality it's more likely to either go up or go down.

Logically why would it NOT be "more"? I fail to see why there would be less kidnapping, seeing as they were actually rewarded for their behavior.

Mutt x

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Gropouce,

Just to clarify, do you think it's right that Guilad was kidnapped and held for years and that because he is "ok" no harm was done and because Israel doesn't do everything right Hamas' actions are acceptable?

Does it strike you as odd that it's a 1000 to 1 ratio for the exchange? Does that indicate who wants peace more?

Hamas cannot recognize that Israel has a right to exist. Should we pretend they are acting in good faith? Should we support their desire to destroy Israel?

Reverse the situation, if Hamas had the military might of Israel, would we even be having this conversation? If the Middle East was 90% Jewish and 10% Arab/Persian etc would there be this conflict?

Everywhere radical Islamists gain political/military power they drive out, kill or violently persecute Jews and people of any other faith. Arabs, Muslims, Christians, Hindus and many other people live in Israel and participate the political process. That cannot be said of those in control of Gaza and the West Bank.

While I believe that both parties have faults that does not mean I have to consider the moral claims of each party as equally legitimate. The idea that all opinions/values are equally valid is a pox on us all---some things are right and some things are wrong even if we have to argue about what that is.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished
both sides were happy in the end. It was a good deal to Israeli's because they value their citizens and they would trade 1000 Palestine's for one of their own.

Mutt X i totally agree with you. israeli's want to be left alone and have land that historically belongs to them. Israel obviously want peace more and Palenstine wants Israel wiped off the planet. The President of Iran Ahmadinejad says the Holocaust never happened. they barely recognize Jews even though they worship the same god.

Here is a quote on what most prisoners have done-
Some have been convicted of murder but others are detained and tried for political activities.

Most have been dealt with by the Israeli military justice system, which is criticised by human rights campaigners.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13989989

obviously not all are trying to kill jews but under Israeli law they are doing something illegal, by now they should know what is illegal and what is not because so many have been sent to jail. The only people to blame for so many prisoners in Israel is the people who committed the crimes. Israel is just upholding their laws.

The human rights violations are-
Palestinian prisoners in Israeli jails launched a hunger strike to protest increasingly discriminatory, inhumane and illegal treatment by the Israeli government – ranging from preventing access to books, educational programs and new clothes, to imposing solitary confinement on inmate leaders, to restricting visits by families and lawyers.
http://www.paltelegraph.com/palestine/gaza-strip/10332-report-facts-about-palestinian-prisoners-in-israel.html
- so wait they weren't underfed beaten or anything like that? No their clothes were just a little stinky.

You also cannot trust anyone else.

And at least this time, the Israelis got back one live body instead of two dead ones.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Sorry but it is a stupid question. Don't hear what i didn't say.

Two stupid quesions. Are you a journalist? :)

Destroy Israel? Khaled Mechaal (from the Hamas) said: "It will remain a state called Israel, is a fact. The problem is not the existence of an entity called Israel. The problem is that no Palestinian state. "
BTW do you REALLY think that Israel, one of the powerful army in the world, first ally of the U.S. (which pays $ 3 billion a year for "safety") is in danger? you should have a look on Gaza and see in what condition they try to live, watching Israeli settlers burn their olive groves.
As i said: both Israelis and Palestinians have to be blame in this story.

We were talking about Palestine... and now you call them radical islamists. (there are certainly radical islamists in Palestine, that doesn't mean that every Palestinian deserve the same treatment.)
I say that Israeli army is leaded by dangerous radical Jews.
I also say that it is the plague that the United States is an ally so blind to Israel. This is one reason why people are wiping their ass with the Stars and Stripes in the Middle East.

Who says this land belongs to Jews and only Jews?
Where are the Palestinians supposed to live? (are they supposed to live? anyway, they are dying in general indifference.)
If the Jews should get "their" land for historical reasons, I think the Americans should leave their country, back in Ireland, Scotland, England, France, Africa etc and leave the country to the Native Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.