joey

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2003

Trying to upgrade my Windows 98 to XP. When going through
the setup it says that XP has discovered that another
operating system has been found and says it can't proceed
with the setup and then shuts down. Correct me if I'm
wrong Sandy but isn't it supposed to find this? It's an
upgrade afterall. Please help me with this
situation...how do I get around it? Thanks.

Apparently, you acquired an "OEM Version" of Windows XP.
OEM versions cannot upgrade an existing Windows installation. Only
"retail versions" can upgrade. Either purchase a retail version of Windows XP
or reformat your drive to install the OEM version "clean".

Clean Install Windows XP

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch