Reloading Windows

How do I go about reloading windows?
I believe that my computer was infected with a virus or worm. Now it freezes up when I open Explorer and I can't open my help center. Someone suggested that I buy Norton's anti-virus to see if it can fix my problem. Another friend suggested that I delete Windows XP and reload it again. Can I do this w/out loosing the info on my computer?
What is the best course of action.

Thanks for help.
Mike B

Mike;
The first course of action is to install an anti virus application.
Then you immediately you need to update it since updates comp out at
least weekly.

There are several options under #3 on this link:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/security.htm
You should follow all 4 to help properly protect your computer.
This may resolve your issue and make reinstallation unnecessary.

To perform a Clean Installation:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"Mike B" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I go about reloading windows?
> I believe that my computer was infected with a virus or worm. Now
it freezes up when I open Explorer and I can't open my help center.
Someone suggested that I buy Norton's anti-virus to see if it can fix
my problem. Another friend suggested that I delete Windows XP and
reload it again. Can I do this w/out loosing the info on my computer?
> What is the best course of action.
>
> Thanks for help.
> Mike B

Thank you very much Jupiter Jones.
It's great to have you as a resource. I will post a message on how it goes later.
Mike B

Jupiter Jones,
Thanks for the links. I will get started tonight.
I wanted to give you one addtn'l piece of info on my problem. This error msg was the first sympton of a problem:

SysUpdShadowProcessing:sysupd.exe - Corrupt File
\WINDOWS\dpusys.ini is corrupt and unreadable. Please run Chkdsk utility.

This message would come up every minute or so. I did install the Recovery Console and ran Chkdsk but this error msg kept popping up. And then the problem got steadily worse.
If you can give anymore insight that would be GREAT!
Mike B

TRENDING THREADS