Quick2Net vs. EN-MOU and Extended Network

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
April 27, 2004 2:56:49 AM

I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Verizon only to arrive at this absurd
conclusion:

If I want to use my laptop and/or PDA wirelessly, I have to pay $80 a month
for unlimited Express Network access plus $35 for a lousy 150 minutes of
Quick2Net slow 14.4 access in the extended network areas.

Or...

I can pay $4.95 per month for some data add-on thing and just use my
existing AC plan minutes to get online with free nights and weekends even
out in the extended network roaming areas. That is, if I can put up with
using my phone instead of an aircard.

Why on earth is it $115 bucks to get online with a PC card verses $5 for the
phone itself plugged into the laptop?!

Most of the time that I am in the native Verizon area is on the weekend
anyway. So, I can't see paying $80 a month for unlimited peak access to what
I would already have unlimited night and weekend access to. Nor can I see
paying $35 for a lousy 150 minutes at 14.4 speeds. That's only 5 minutes a
day. At that slow of a connection I'd use up all the minutes before I can
even get on and check my e-mail!

-Jeff
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 2:56:50 AM

First off, none of the carriers currently have a great reasonably priced
data option. You can pay $20/month in addition to your cell plan per month
with T-mobile for unlimited data. Sprint has $15 a month charge for data,
specifically excluding use with laptops- which granted people do use with
laptop anyway. Other carriers are even more expensive.

1st off - Verizon has for many years, and continues to support QNC circuit
switched data for just the cost of minutes. This is super cool for getting
email or doing basic stuff from the road. I can get about 2Kb/s out of this
service, so it's actually a bit faster than 14.4. It works anywhere Verizon
has native service and you can buy a cheap cable and go. This was even
cooler when folks had real serial cables (just easier to work with than the
current USB cables and drivers. The Future dial stuff tends to be much more
difficult to get going. )
See
http://www.verizonwireless.com/internet_data/mobile_off...
You can call 1800-308-3282 for help with this officially supported option.
You just add a standard 19,200 modem and point it at the correct serial
port. Dial #777 with "qnc" for both username and password.

2nd- All of the current AC plans come with National Access MOU added to the
account by default. If not, call a regular rep and ask for it to be added
to your account. My understanding is that this may not be available on local
plans (hit or miss). My palm phone (Kyocera 7135) came pre-set to access
express network using the phone#@vzw3g.com MOU option by default. All I had
to do to access is click on a web page. So even if MOU isn't officially
supported, it's getting used by lots of shmo's out there who simply had the
setting hard coded into their phone, and those shmo's will notice if it
quits working, or starts being billed differently.

There's actually another reason why I think MOU will stick around, and it's
something I noticed last weekend. 1xRTT data ("high speed") is designed to
yield to voice traffic as needed. You can witness this first hand by trying
a data connection at rush hour, when you cannot move any data, but can place
a voice call. The QNC 14.4K works like a normal voice call, in the sense
that it doesn't slow down to accomodate more voice users, nor does it go
dormant as needed, and basically goes through anytime a voice call can.
From this point of view, it's actually better for Verizon to leave folks
using 1xRTT than QNC data due to network resource utilization (graceful
fallback not being available with QNC).

All this is not to say Verizon couldn't take away *all* of the free data,
but in the case of QNC they'd be taking away an officially supported option
that folks have been using for years. On the other hand they could take
away 1xRTT data and force folks to use the slower QNC data, but then you
have folks using something that doesn't take resource usage into account at
all.

The one thing I have determined is that the data group will *not* help folks
with the high speed MOU option. If you can get it to work on your own,
fine. If not, they won't help you get it going unless you are paying for a
data plan. Oh yes, and both 1xRTT MOU and QNC work fine tonight here in
Eugene Oregon, so the service hasn't been disabled.

-Dan

PS: Some phones are really easy to get working with high speed MOU option.
i.e. The Kyocera's including the cheapo prepaid 2325 are really easy to use.
I had great difficulty with the LG 4400 and future dial cable combination.

"jeff" <jeff_philNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Verizon only to arrive at this
absurd
> conclusion:
>
> If I want to use my laptop and/or PDA wirelessly, I have to pay $80 a
month
> for unlimited Express Network access plus $35 for a lousy 150 minutes of
> Quick2Net slow 14.4 access in the extended network areas.
>
> Or...
>
> I can pay $4.95 per month for some data add-on thing and just use my
> existing AC plan minutes to get online with free nights and weekends even
> out in the extended network roaming areas. That is, if I can put up with
> using my phone instead of an aircard.
>
> Why on earth is it $115 bucks to get online with a PC card verses $5 for
the
> phone itself plugged into the laptop?!
>
> Most of the time that I am in the native Verizon area is on the weekend
> anyway. So, I can't see paying $80 a month for unlimited peak access to
what
> I would already have unlimited night and weekend access to. Nor can I see
> paying $35 for a lousy 150 minutes at 14.4 speeds. That's only 5 minutes a
> day. At that slow of a connection I'd use up all the minutes before I can
> even get on and check my e-mail!
>
> -Jeff

April 27, 2004 2:56:50 AM

I have been using Mobile Office
with America's Choice for 2 years,
with pretty good results. I pay an
extra $5.00/month for nights and
weekends free etc. Use airtime as
would with phone. If I use the
Venturi compression then it seems
to me to be similar to about 28 Kb/sec.
I never use the Express net. It's not
everywhere and it costs too much..
Better off with a Wi-Fi card and
many places provide it for free.

My opinion for what it is or isn't
worth. Luck
April 27, 2004 4:28:44 AM

Dan Albrich wrote:

[...]

> The one thing I have determined is that the data group will *not* help folks
> with the high speed MOU option. If you can get it to work on your own,
> fine. If not, they won't help you get it going unless you are paying for a
> data plan. Oh yes, and both 1xRTT MOU and QNC work fine tonight here in
> Eugene Oregon, so the service hasn't been disabled.

That is not my experience. They seem to be the most useful part of the
entire company.. they don't try to shunt you off the phone and know
their stuff. In several instances I have gotten calls that were
promised. [I.e. I'll work on this and call you back tomorrow[ Good luck
seeing that from a customer service rep.

Josh
Anonymous
April 27, 2004 4:28:45 AM

My experiences with the data group have all been excellent with regard to
QNC. They did refuse me help with a LG 4400 when they noticed I did not
have a separate data plan. So certainly use them as a resource if you can.
Very good.

-Dan

"Josh Steinhurst" <josh.spam.news@steinhurst.FakeMeat.net> wrote in message
> Dan Albrich wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > The one thing I have determined is that the data group will *not* help
folks
> > with the high speed MOU option. If you can get it to work on your own,
> > fine. If not, they won't help you get it going unless you are paying
for a
> > data plan. Oh yes, and both 1xRTT MOU and QNC work fine tonight here in
> > Eugene Oregon, so the service hasn't been disabled.
>
> That is not my experience. They seem to be the most useful part of the
> entire company.. they don't try to shunt you off the phone and know
> their stuff. In several instances I have gotten calls that were
> promised. [I.e. I'll work on this and call you back tomorrow[ Good luck
> seeing that from a customer service rep.
>
> Josh
April 27, 2004 4:45:23 AM

Well, I guess it would be dumb for Verizon to remove MOU for data
connections. In the near future, probably Cingular will have comparable
coverage to Verizon's. Also, Sprint's phones are always better than
Verizon's.

If Verizon removes MOU for data connections, I can't see any reason why
people will keep staying with them ( let's put hope on Cingular :)

"Dan Albrich" <junkmail@shaney.uoregon.edui> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:Lq2dnZL2g862eBDdRVn2tg@comcast.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> My experiences with the data group have all been excellent with regard to
> QNC. They did refuse me help with a LG 4400 when they noticed I did not
> have a separate data plan. So certainly use them as a resource if you can.
> Very good.
>
> -Dan
>

> "Josh Steinhurst" <josh.spam.news@steinhurst.FakeMeat.net> wrote in
message
> > Dan Albrich wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > The one thing I have determined is that the data group will *not* help
> folks
> > > with the high speed MOU option. If you can get it to work on your
own,
> > > fine. If not, they won't help you get it going unless you are paying
> for a
> > > data plan. Oh yes, and both 1xRTT MOU and QNC work fine tonight here
in
> > > Eugene Oregon, so the service hasn't been disabled.
> >
> > That is not my experience. They seem to be the most useful part of the
> > entire company.. they don't try to shunt you off the phone and know
> > their stuff. In several instances I have gotten calls that were
> > promised. [I.e. I'll work on this and call you back tomorrow[ Good luck
> > seeing that from a customer service rep.
> >
> > Josh

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 8:11:21 AM

Join the club.

I called Verizon and told by one woman that yeah it would be airtime only
blah blah, fast internet.

Then some data tech called back offering me $80 plans and nothing more.
He also said that I would be charged $.25 per minute if I used it maybe not
now but months later, which is totally absurd.

I have Express Network most likely as I have Get It Now which requires it.
Otherwise it would be slow.

So my take on it is use it right now. If you get any charges, call up
Verizon and blame it on a sales rep which said it was free. They will refund
the cost. If all else fails there is always the Better Business Bureau. Then
of course don't use it again after that though.

Here are the instructions:
Verizon 3G/1X Data/Express Network
a.. Select the modem. Ideally you want the serial connection to the phone
to operate at 230400 otherwise you will suffer lower throughput
b.. The phone number is #777 (be sure to include the pound sign)
c.. The username is yourphonenumber@vzw3g.com (For example
5551234567@vzw3g.com)
d.. The password is vzw
Verizon Quick To Net/QNC
a.. Select the modem. There are no performance gains for the serial
connection to the phone being faster than 19200
b.. You should ensure there is a modem initialisation string of AT$QCMDR=2
in the modem configuration. (In Windows you place this by going to the modem
in the Control Panel and then Advanced, Extra Settings. Leave off the AT
bit - ie you should put $QCMDR=2 in the text box)
c.. Phone number is #777 (be sure to include the pound sign)
d.. Username is qnc
e.. Password is qnc
Nite Rider
"jeff" <jeff_philNOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Verizon only to arrive at this
absurd
> conclusion:
>
> If I want to use my laptop and/or PDA wirelessly, I have to pay $80 a
month
> for unlimited Express Network access plus $35 for a lousy 150 minutes of
> Quick2Net slow 14.4 access in the extended network areas.
>
> Or...
>
> I can pay $4.95 per month for some data add-on thing and just use my
> existing AC plan minutes to get online with free nights and weekends even
> out in the extended network roaming areas. That is, if I can put up with
> using my phone instead of an aircard.
>
> Why on earth is it $115 bucks to get online with a PC card verses $5 for
the
> phone itself plugged into the laptop?!
>
> Most of the time that I am in the native Verizon area is on the weekend
> anyway. So, I can't see paying $80 a month for unlimited peak access to
what
> I would already have unlimited night and weekend access to. Nor can I see
> paying $35 for a lousy 150 minutes at 14.4 speeds. That's only 5 minutes a
> day. At that slow of a connection I'd use up all the minutes before I can
> even get on and check my e-mail!
>
> -Jeff

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 3:43:37 PM

I was having trouble getting my VX4400 connecting to QuickNet, and called
CS. I have AC with MOU. The rep even called FutureDial with me on the
line. FutureDial was not open yet, but the rep called me back in a couple
of hours and again called FutureDial.

I still cannot connect to QuickNet, but I can connect through EpressNetwork.
I do not have anymore problems, and no separate data plan.

Jon

!