Norton Internet Security 2003 To 2004

May 24, 2004 11:37:56 PM

I'm going to update from NIS 2003 to NIS 2004. Is there anything special I
need to do? I remember reading something like making sure that the old
version is completely removed. I don't remember the details
Anonymous
May 24, 2004 11:37:57 PM

Check with the Norton support groups and newsgroups.

----- Dick Bonahue wrote: -----

I'm going to update from NIS 2003 to NIS 2004. Is there anything special I
need to do? I remember reading something like making sure that the old
version is completely removed. I don't remember the details
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 4:21:02 AM

For what it's worth.......
I was in the same situation as you. I was advised by quite a few fairly computer knowledgeable friends not to use Norton 2004 as it is a very large and not so 'stable' program. This is also what I read in various reviews.
I uninstalled Norton NIS 2003 and replaced it with Zone Alarm ( free version) and AVG anti virus ( free version).
I found that my computer functioned quicker and is just as well protected.
I can't say that Norton 2004 is bad as I have never used it but at least you can think of other options.
Anonymous
May 25, 2004 9:51:37 PM

Hope you haven't upgraded yet; I have NIS 2004 and can't say I'd recommend
it. I'd have to agree with "TheBFG" and say I don't find it stable.

First off, my computer has slowed down immensely and I've read in various
newsgroups (after the fact) that Norton is a known culprit for that.

Second and even more important, I have gotten a "Norton Internet Security
has encountered an internal error and needs to be uninstalled and
reinstalled" error message 2 times since I upgraded, which was less than 60
days ago. I've also had instances that say the Norton Anti-virus portion
has been tampered with and needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

Not having NIS 2003 previously, I can't compare, but I find NIS 2004 quite
time consuming to configure all of the components, especially having Windows
XP and 4 separate user accounts, and when you have to re-do this every few
weeks, it's quite exasperating.

As for your question, I did need to remove all components of the old
version, including Liveupdate before installing the new one, but I had a
much older one. I didn't have NIS, just the Norton Anti-virus software.
Now I get to do it all over again every time I get that error message to
uninstall & reinstall.

Good luck to you if you do decide to go with this. Hope it works better for
you than it has for me.

H.

!