Norton Internet Security 2003 To 2004

I'm going to update from NIS 2003 to NIS 2004. Is there anything special I
need to do? I remember reading something like making sure that the old
version is completely removed. I don't remember the details
3 answers Last reply
More about norton internet security 2003 2004

    Check with the Norton support groups and newsgroups.

    ----- Dick Bonahue wrote: -----

    I'm going to update from NIS 2003 to NIS 2004. Is there anything special I
    need to do? I remember reading something like making sure that the old
    version is completely removed. I don't remember the details

    For what it's worth.......
    I was in the same situation as you. I was advised by quite a few fairly computer knowledgeable friends not to use Norton 2004 as it is a very large and not so 'stable' program. This is also what I read in various reviews.
    I uninstalled Norton NIS 2003 and replaced it with Zone Alarm ( free version) and AVG anti virus ( free version).
    I found that my computer functioned quicker and is just as well protected.
    I can't say that Norton 2004 is bad as I have never used it but at least you can think of other options.

    Hope you haven't upgraded yet; I have NIS 2004 and can't say I'd recommend
    it. I'd have to agree with "TheBFG" and say I don't find it stable.

    First off, my computer has slowed down immensely and I've read in various
    newsgroups (after the fact) that Norton is a known culprit for that.

    Second and even more important, I have gotten a "Norton Internet Security
    has encountered an internal error and needs to be uninstalled and
    reinstalled" error message 2 times since I upgraded, which was less than 60
    days ago. I've also had instances that say the Norton Anti-virus portion
    has been tampered with and needs to be uninstalled and reinstalled.

    Not having NIS 2003 previously, I can't compare, but I find NIS 2004 quite
    time consuming to configure all of the components, especially having Windows
    XP and 4 separate user accounts, and when you have to re-do this every few
    weeks, it's quite exasperating.

    As for your question, I did need to remove all components of the old
    version, including Liveupdate before installing the new one, but I had a
    much older one. I didn't have NIS, just the Norton Anti-virus software.
    Now I get to do it all over again every time I get that error message to
    uninstall & reinstall.

    Good luck to you if you do decide to go with this. Hope it works better for
    you than it has for me.

    H.

    "Dick Bonahue" <Smok10a@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > I'm going to update from NIS 2003 to NIS 2004. Is there anything special I
    > need to do? I remember reading something like making sure that the old
    > version is completely removed. I don't remember the details

NIS Internet Security Norton Windows XP