Sign in with
Your question

Urgent help with Duron 1.1 and KT266 chipset

Last response: in Motherboards
June 25, 2002 3:04:23 PM

Please help. This is what happened. I purchased all the part to this new computer. Basically a 320watt power supply (p4 compatible). A duron 1.2 GHz CPU and a Jetway motherboard based on the via kt266 chipset.

Anyways I put the machine together and I try and boot and nothing happens. I played around with it all night but couldn't get the thing to go. I took it back to the store and the tech and I had a look at it. We tried a 1.3 GHz duron only to have that one do the same thing. We then tried a Duon800 and it booted up! So we were like WTF? Then we tried an XP1800 and that also booted up! I didn't have the money for the XP and I didn't want an 800, so I went to a different store and bough a 1.1 GHz duron.

Now this is where I'm scared... I installed the Duron 1.1 and it booted up, I tried to enter the bios, I just tapped the del key (A couple of times because nothing came up at the start) and then the computer turned off (well not entirely the fans were still running but nothing on the screen) ... and it kind of smelt like something had burned inside the computer. I then checked the CPU and that’s where it smelt like something had burned. Now the computer is doing the same thing as the 1.2 and 1.3 the power is turned on because the fans spin. But that’s it.

Please if anyone knows what’s going on? Please give me some advice, it's real urgent. This computer is for a friend who is leaving the state in a few days, and the store where I bought the 1.1 from said I had to return it tomorrow if I wanted a refund...

I'm really scared that I may have shorted the CPU, but I don't see how it's possible. I did set the computer up on carpet so perhaps it's a static thing? But it was inside a case and not resting on anything other then case. Also all the cables were cleared out of the way, so still I'm left questioning?

BTW The motherboard has a couple of jumper adjustable; this is what I've set them to.
Ratio: 11x
FSB: 100mhz (Default and it’s adjustable within the bios)
Power on keyboard: I took out this jumper because I needed it elsewhere. I don't think this jumper can affect me much (can it?).

Something’s just occurred to me. Perhaps this motherboard is short circuiting the newer Duron only (Morgan core)? Why? I HAVE NO IDEA. We tried the 1.2 and 1.3 in different motherboards but they didn't work either (but this was after we had tried them on this motherboard). But why only the new durons? The XP and slower 800 worked fine. Please someone help me... This is urgent...

Sorry about the long post.
Thank you for any help you can provide.
-Andrew
June 26, 2002 3:28:49 AM

by the looks of it you installed the heatsink wrong. and fried the cpu.

did the same person install all 3 processors?
do it exactly the same way?

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol: 
June 26, 2002 10:48:40 AM

How can you install a heatsink wrong?

I installed it 1st, the CPU didn't go no matter what. Then he installed the 1.3 with a lil thermal paste as well. The EXACT same thing happened.

We then tried an AthlonXP 1800 which worked fine, as did the Duron800. Both of the above were installed by him. BTW we both installed out heatsink/fan's the sameway.

At the time, my thinkning was... 2 faulty Durons then I went and bought a new Duron 1.1 GHz installed it the same way as the above 3, only to have this Duron 1.1 GHz do the same thing as the 1.2 and 1.3. So my belief is this motherboard has problems with the new Morgan core.

I think it has a problem detecing the new Morgan core Duron's and adjusting the voltage accordingly. I.E. The voltage is too high, that is why the old Duron and new XP's work, because they require the higher voltage.

Oh and before anyone asks the only way to change the voltage is tru the BIOS, which I can not enter for obvious reasons. There is no jumper to change the voltage. There is a jumper to reset the CMOS which we did multiple times.
June 26, 2002 10:55:21 AM

hmmmm. u got me.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol: 
!