Linksys BEFW11S4 on existing network

I purchased a BEFW11S4 (v4) recently and would like to make it part of
an exsiting LAN (with broadband connection). From reading posts on
this forum I am attempting to make the BEFW11S4 a wireless access
point on an existing LAN (Vigor2200 router/switch) and

- I have disabled DHCP on the BEFW11S4
- I have changed the IP address of the BEFW11S4 to 192.168.1.50 due to
the
Vigor2200 having the default internal address of 192.168.1.1.
- I have placed a standard Ethernet cable between the Uplink on the
Vigor2200 (with the button pressed in) and the "Internet" connection
on the BEFW11S4.
- Both the wireless and Internet link appear on the BEFW11S4.

Unfortunately something is up - from either "side" of the network you
cannot ping the other. Hence 192.168.1.1 reachable from existing LAN
but not via the wireless connection.

- What should I do with the "Internet IP Address" on the BEFW11S4? I
have tried both static and DHCP and these do not work. Note that when
the BEFW11S4 is in DHCP mode you can perform a release and renew from
the setup page and it receives an IP address from the Vigor2200
proving that the connection between the two units is ok. To further
prove this, if you try and renew the IP address without the cable in
it doesn't work (as expected)

- I noticed in other posts with similar problems (but version 2 of the
unit) that there was a need to "disable" the "login" setting but I
have version 4 of the unit with the latest firmware installed. Am I
missing something or has this functionality/setting moved elsewhere?

- To make it a little more confusing; I have now telnet'd into the
Vigor2200 and attempted to ping the (Internet) address given to the
BEFW11S4 by DHCP (192.168.1.10) and the LAN address of the BEFW11S4
(192.168.1.50) and neither work!

Thanks for your time.

Hutton.

On 26 Jul 2004 04:45:09 -0700, Hutton spoketh

>- I have placed a standard Ethernet cable between the Uplink on the
>Vigor2200 (with the button pressed in) and the "Internet" connection
>on the BEFW11S4.

If you want the wireless network to be on the same network (subnet) as
your wired LAN, you need to connect the cable to one of the switched
ports on the BEFW11S4 and _not_ the internet (WAN) port.

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:33:42 GMT, Lars M. Hansen
<badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote:

>On 26 Jul 2004 04:45:09 -0700, Hutton spoketh
>>- I have placed a standard Ethernet cable between the Uplink on the
>>Vigor2200 (with the button pressed in) and the "Internet" connection
>>on the BEFW11S4.

>If you want the wireless network to be on the same network (subnet) as
>your wired LAN, you need to connect the cable to one of the switched
>ports on the BEFW11S4 and _not_ the internet (WAN) port.
>Lars M. Hansen

Yep. That's the problem. Just ignore the WAN port.

This might also help:
Using an FVM318 Wireless Router as a Wireless Access Point
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101236.asp
which includes instructions on how to set it up as an IPSec VPN
gateway.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message news:<beu9g0huk90cqt2fu0bve2bjiv2qa9j1iu@4ax.com>...
> On 26 Jul 2004 04:45:09 -0700, Hutton spoketh
>

> >- I have placed a standard Ethernet cable between the Uplink on the
> >Vigor2200 (with the button pressed in) and the "Internet" connection
> >on the BEFW11S4.
>
> If you want the wireless network to be on the same network (subnet) as
> your wired LAN, you need to connect the cable to one of the switched
> ports on the BEFW11S4 and _not_ the internet (WAN) port.
>
> Lars M. Hansen
> www.hansenonline.net
> Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me.
> "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

Lars,

I think I was in Homer Simpson mode. Thanks a lot. Hutton.

Hutton <H_Henry@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I purchased a BEFW11S4 (v4) recently and would like to make it part of
> an exsiting LAN (with broadband connection). From reading posts on
> this forum I am attempting to make the BEFW11S4 a wireless access
> point on an existing LAN (Vigor2200 router/switch) and

< http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=358&p_created=1084209764&p_sid=vOtDRlhh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzU2JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9c2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcHJvZF9sdmwxPSZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj0mcF9jYXRfbHZsMT0xNSZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWV4aXN0aW5nIHJvdXRlcg**&p_li= >

http://makeashorterlink.com/?K2E3155E8
"How do I connect a Linksys Wireless router to a regular Ethernet Linksys
router?"

You want to connect the Linksys "LAN", not the "WAN" to the other switch.

---