My 84 year young mother-in-law has a new system running XP home. Being
retired she loves e-mail and searching the net, etc. :)
Not keeping her AV up to date, she picked up the Sasser worm. It was so bad
the company picked up the system and reformatted/reloaded everything.

Here's the problem.
During the infected period her dial-up connection slowed down to ~30KB or
less, sometimes as low as 19KB.
Now that the system is back and reloaded, she is still only connecting at ~
32-35KB.
I'm not sure if the worm did that or not. She originally was connecting at
40-44KB.

Any suggestions please,
L.

Check with her ISP to see if it might not be something with them.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:uFCsKimQEHA.2216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
L/P <info@wabashrealty.com> hunted and pecked:
> My 84 year young mother-in-law has a new system running XP home. Being
> retired she loves e-mail and searching the net, etc. :)
> Not keeping her AV up to date, she picked up the Sasser worm. It was
> so bad the company picked up the system and reformatted/reloaded
> everything.
>
> Here's the problem.
> During the infected period her dial-up connection slowed down to
> ~30KB or less, sometimes as low as 19KB.
> Now that the system is back and reloaded, she is still only
> connecting at ~ 32-35KB.
> I'm not sure if the worm did that or not. She originally was
> connecting at 40-44KB.
>
> Any suggestions please,
> L.

Just to check, I had already taken one of my systems to her house, logged on
and connected @ 44 (twice).

L.

> Check with her ISP to see if it might not be something with them.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:uFCsKimQEHA.2216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> L/P <info@wabashrealty.com> hunted and pecked:
> > My 84 year young mother-in-law has a new system running XP home. Being
> > retired she loves e-mail and searching the net, etc. :)
> > Not keeping her AV up to date, she picked up the Sasser worm. It was
> > so bad the company picked up the system and reformatted/reloaded
> > everything.
> >
> > Here's the problem.
> > During the infected period her dial-up connection slowed down to
> > ~30KB or less, sometimes as low as 19KB.
> > Now that the system is back and reloaded, she is still only
> > connecting at ~ 32-35KB.
> > I'm not sure if the worm did that or not. She originally was
> > connecting at 40-44KB.
> >
> > Any suggestions please,
> > L.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Some modems are more sensitive to line noises than others. 32-35KB is a
reasonable connect speed.
"L/P" <info@wabashrealty.com> wrote in message
> My 84 year young mother-in-law has a new system running XP home. Being
> retired she loves e-mail and searching the net, etc. :)
> Not keeping her AV up to date, she picked up the Sasser worm. It was so bad
> the company picked up the system and reformatted/reloaded everything.
>
> Here's the problem.
> During the infected period her dial-up connection slowed down to ~30KB or
> less, sometimes as low as 19KB.
> Now that the system is back and reloaded, she is still only connecting at ~
> 32-35KB.
> I'm not sure if the worm did that or not. She originally was connecting at
> 40-44KB.
>
> Any suggestions please,
> L.

The thing is that before all the problems with the sasser worm popped-up,
she was connecting at an average 42-44KB. Now she gets connected as low as
19KB with an average of 30-32.

L.

"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> Some modems are more sensitive to line noises than others. 32-35KB is a
> reasonable connect speed.

> "L/P" <info@wabashrealty.com> wrote in message
> > My 84 year young mother-in-law has a new system running XP home. Being
> > retired she loves e-mail and searching the net, etc. :)
> > Not keeping her AV up to date, she picked up the Sasser worm. It was so
bad
> > the company picked up the system and reformatted/reloaded everything.
> >
> > Here's the problem.
> > During the infected period her dial-up connection slowed down to ~30KB
or
> > less, sometimes as low as 19KB.
> > Now that the system is back and reloaded, she is still only connecting
at ~
> > 32-35KB.
> > I'm not sure if the worm did that or not. She originally was connecting
at
> > 40-44KB.
> >
> > Any suggestions please,
> > L.

Not he phone line then.

You might look this over.

56K Modem Troubleshooting Guide
http://www.56k.com/trouble/connect.shtml

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%23r96gkoQEHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
L/P <info@wabashrealty.com> hunted and pecked:
> Just to check, I had already taken one of my systems to her house,
> logged on and connected @ 44 (twice).
>
> L.

>> Check with her ISP to see if it might not be something with them.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:uFCsKimQEHA.2216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
>> L/P <info@wabashrealty.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> My 84 year young mother-in-law has a new system running XP home.
>>> Being retired she loves e-mail and searching the net, etc. :)
>>> Not keeping her AV up to date, she picked up the Sasser worm. It was
>>> so bad the company picked up the system and reformatted/reloaded
>>> everything.
>>>
>>> Here's the problem.
>>> During the infected period her dial-up connection slowed down to
>>> ~30KB or less, sometimes as low as 19KB.
>>> Now that the system is back and reloaded, she is still only
>>> connecting at ~ 32-35KB.
>>> I'm not sure if the worm did that or not. She originally was
>>> connecting at 40-44KB.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions please,
>>> L.

Will give it a 'shot" next time I get over and let you know.

Thanks,

L.

> Not he phone line then.
>
> You might look this over.
>
> 56K Modem Troubleshooting Guide
> http://www.56k.com/trouble/connect.shtml
>

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:%23r96gkoQEHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> L/P <info@wabashrealty.com> hunted and pecked:
> > Just to check, I had already taken one of my systems to her house,
> > logged on and connected @ 44 (twice).
> >
> > L.
> >

> > "Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Check with her ISP to see if it might not be something with them.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> >> Wes
> >>
> >> In news:uFCsKimQEHA.2216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
> >> L/P <info@wabashrealty.com> hunted and pecked:

Have fun.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:e5kMEnpQEHA.2644@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
L/P <info@wabashrealty.com> hunted and pecked:
> Will give it a 'shot" next time I get over and let you know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> L.

>> Not he phone line then.
>>
>> You might look this over.
>>
>> 56K Modem Troubleshooting Guide
>> http://www.56k.com/trouble/connect.shtml
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>> Wes
>>
>> In news:%23r96gkoQEHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
>> L/P <info@wabashrealty.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Just to check, I had already taken one of my systems to her house,
>>> logged on and connected @ 44 (twice).
>>>
>>> L.

As a late follow-up.
It was the phone lines.
Do to an older home that had old lines, it must have been a small short or
just bad/old wiring.
Replaced the one to the computer and speed jumped back to 42-44 kbs.
Went ahead and replaced all the lines in her home and "back to normal".

Thanks to all for suggestions,

L.