Problem with installing Service Pack 1

Have just downloaded service pack 1 and installed it, PC just re booted and
its more or less totally wiped everything!!

All the documents in my documents were gone, all the icons for programmes
off my desktop were gone, XP had gone back to the XP theme as opposed to
the classic which ide been using.

whats the deal??? ive done a system restore back to before i installed the
SP1 and everythings back as it was, why did the instalation of SP1 delete
most of my stuff??

thanks

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

SP1 for what? OE? IE? XP?
"Ere" <ererrrr@aol.com> wrote in message news:hxKsc.161$3s5.92@newsfe4-win...
> Have just downloaded service pack 1 and installed it, PC just re booted and
> its more or less totally wiped everything!!
>
> All the documents in my documents were gone, all the icons for programmes
> off my desktop were gone, XP had gone back to the XP theme as opposed to
> the classic which ide been using.
>
> whats the deal??? ive done a system restore back to before i installed the
> SP1 and everythings back as it was, why did the instalation of SP1 delete
> most of my stuff??
>
> thanks

Nothing was deleted otherwise the data would be gone after a System
Restore since System Restore does not restore personal data.

Something must have gone wrong.
Did you have anti virus and all other unnecessary applications
disabled before you started?
Nobody was doing anything or otherwise touching the computer?

Try it this way:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> SP1 for what? OE? IE? XP?
> "Ere" <ererrrr@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Have just downloaded service pack 1 and installed it, PC just re booted
and
> > its more or less totally wiped everything!!
> >
> > All the documents in my documents were gone, all the icons for
programmes
> > off my desktop were gone, XP had gone back to the XP theme as opposed
> > the classic which ide been using.
> >
> > whats the deal??? ive done a system restore back to before i installed
the
> > SP1 and everythings back as it was, why did the instalation of SP1
delete
> > most of my stuff??
> >
> > thanks

Service Pack 1 for Windows XP.

cheers

> Nothing was deleted otherwise the data would be gone after a System
> Restore since System Restore does not restore personal data.
>
> Something must have gone wrong.
> Did you have anti virus and all other unnecessary applications
> disabled before you started?
> Nobody was doing anything or otherwise touching the computer?
>
> Try it this way:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm
>

> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "Ere" <ererrrr@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Have just downloaded service pack 1 and installed it, PC just re
> booted and
> > its more or less totally wiped everything!!
> >
> > All the documents in my documents were gone, all the icons for
> programmes
> > off my desktop were gone, XP had gone back to the XP theme as
> opposed to
> > the classic which ide been using.
> >
> > whats the deal??? ive done a system restore back to before i
> installed the
> > SP1 and everythings back as it was, why did the instalation of SP1
> delete
> > most of my stuff??
> >
> > thanks

Virus software wasnt disabled, its best to disable it yeh?

When i say the stuff in my docs were gone i mean they wernt in there! and a
find files search didnt find any, the PC was left alone for the 40 minutes
in total it took to download, it did seam to be going a bit slow on the
Dload however it did complete and seamed to install ok untill i saw when it
had re booted.
will try the link you suggested now, many thanks
cheers