Lee County, Virginia coverage

I know VZW AC coverage is supposed to be pretty good in the
Kingport/Johnson City/Bristol, TN area, but the map shows AC coverage
in Lee County, Virginia, which is just northwest of these cities.
I'll be in Lee County this weekend and was wondering if anyone could
tell me what coverage I could realistically expect in the Pennington
Gap/Jonesville area.

Very, very spotty. You may need to go back and forth between Automatic A
and Automatic B. There will also be some analog. We go there a couple of
times/year, and it has gotten much better, but still not very good. Harlan
decent, gets worse to bad around Pennington Gap.

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> I know VZW AC coverage is supposed to be pretty good in the
> Kingport/Johnson City/Bristol, TN area, but the map shows AC coverage
> in Lee County, Virginia, which is just northwest of these cities.
> I'll be in Lee County this weekend and was wondering if anyone could
> tell me what coverage I could realistically expect in the Pennington
> Gap/Jonesville area.

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:17:38 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
<ghost@general.lee> wrote:

>I'll be in Lee County this weekend and was wondering if anyone could
>tell me what coverage I could realistically expect in the Pennington
>Gap/Jonesville area.

Coverage is *very* weak along US 58 from Cumberland Gap to a couple of
miles west of Jonesville. From Jonesville east, it's pretty good,
although a bit spottier than is usual for VZW.

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might

Mike

Splendid

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 02:13:22 GMT, Stanley Cline <sc1-news@roamer1.org>
wrote:

>Coverage is *very* weak along US 58 from Cumberland Gap to a couple of
>miles west of Jonesville. From Jonesville east, it's pretty good,
>although a bit spottier than is usual for VZW.

Including not that far away, in other parts of rural VA...coverage
along US 460 from just past the WV/VA line clear into Roanoke is solid
digital nearly the entire way.

Mike

wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:17:38 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
><ghost@general.lee> wrote:
>
>>I'll be in Lee County this weekend and was wondering if anyone could
>>tell me what coverage I could realistically expect in the Pennington
>>Gap/Jonesville area.
>
>Coverage is *very* weak along US 58 from Cumberland Gap to a couple of
>miles west of Jonesville. From Jonesville east, it's pretty good,
>although a bit spottier than is usual for VZW.

OK, thanks. I'll be spending most of my time on 58 running from
Jonesville to PG to Dryden. Both of my phones support AMPS so
hopefully I'll be able to hear from other family members as they
arrive in the area. I also have to make a quick run down 606 to
Keokee, but don't realistically expect to have any usable coverage at
all in that valley.

Get an external antenna for you car. It helps more then you think. ;-)

Scotty

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 02:13:22 GMT, Stanley Cline <sc1-news@roamer1.org>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:17:38 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
> ><ghost@general.lee> wrote:
> >
> >>I'll be in Lee County this weekend and was wondering if anyone could
> >>tell me what coverage I could realistically expect in the Pennington
> >>Gap/Jonesville area.
> >
> >Coverage is *very* weak along US 58 from Cumberland Gap to a couple of
> >miles west of Jonesville. From Jonesville east, it's pretty good,
> >although a bit spottier than is usual for VZW.
>
> OK, thanks. I'll be spending most of my time on 58 running from
> Jonesville to PG to Dryden. Both of my phones support AMPS so
> hopefully I'll be able to hear from other family members as they
> arrive in the area. I also have to make a quick run down 606 to
> Keokee, but don't realistically expect to have any usable coverage at
> all in that valley.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:59:40 GMT, "Scott Nelson - Wash DC"
<spamcop@bnmnetworks.net> wrote:

>Get an external antenna for you car. It helps more then you think. ;-)

I would, but I won't have time to look for one locally nor have one
shipped to me by the time I leave Saturday morning. Worst case, I
know of a few places where I can drive to get on top of a hill so I
can make my calls, and I don't expect to be in Lee County more than
6-7 hours. As long as those three towns aren't total dead areas (and
it doesn't appear that they are), I should be OK. And I hope it to be
my last visit there for a long, long time.

You are right about Keokee.

"The Ghost of General Lee" <ghost@general.lee> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 02:13:22 GMT, Stanley Cline <sc1-news@roamer1.org>
> wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 02:17:38 -0400, The Ghost of General Lee
> ><ghost@general.lee> wrote:
> >
> >>I'll be in Lee County this weekend and was wondering if anyone could
> >>tell me what coverage I could realistically expect in the Pennington
> >>Gap/Jonesville area.
> >
> >Coverage is *very* weak along US 58 from Cumberland Gap to a couple of
> >miles west of Jonesville. From Jonesville east, it's pretty good,
> >although a bit spottier than is usual for VZW.
>
> OK, thanks. I'll be spending most of my time on 58 running from
> Jonesville to PG to Dryden. Both of my phones support AMPS so
> hopefully I'll be able to hear from other family members as they
> arrive in the area. I also have to make a quick run down 606 to
> Keokee, but don't realistically expect to have any usable coverage at
> all in that valley.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:12:24 GMT, "Don R"
<drennard@nospamearthlink.net> wrote:

>You are right about Keokee.

I'll just arrange for everyone to meet at McDonalds in PG and do FRS
from there. I have to take my sister in law to her father's place on
606, and she's never been there before. I hope Mickey D is still
there.:)

TRENDING THREADS