WRTG54 router with WPA-PSK

Dear all,

I am using the Linksys WRTG54 router. I setup the router to use WPA-PSK
security with TKIP encryption (key renewal interval - 60 seconds). I
configured my XP machine to use the same security settings (WPA-PSK with
TKIP). I verified to make sure I entered the right SSID (I disabled SSID
broadcast on my router) and shared key.
I am using Windows to configure my wireless network settings. I also made
sure that my IP settings are set to obtain IP automatically.
In the system try the wirless network connection shows activity (increasing
packets sent, received counters) and very good signal strength.
Problem is my IP address is staying 0.0.0.0 and it is not showing any
change, what could be the problem with my network settings?
I did ipconfig /renew but no use.

TIA for any help.

As an add-on to my previous post - when I do ipconfig /renew on my XP
machine, it says unable to contact your DHCP server.
It is maddening, on the one side it shows network activity and on the other
side it says it can not contact DHCP server and the IP address stays at
0.0.0.0
Any clues?

"Newsgroups Nut" <bhamboy@bham.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I am using the Linksys WRTG54 router. I setup the router to use WPA-PSK
> security with TKIP encryption (key renewal interval - 60 seconds). I
> configured my XP machine to use the same security settings (WPA-PSK with
> TKIP). I verified to make sure I entered the right SSID (I disabled SSID
> broadcast on my router) and shared key.
> I am using Windows to configure my wireless network settings. I also made
> sure that my IP settings are set to obtain IP automatically.
> In the system try the wirless network connection shows activity
(increasing
> packets sent, received counters) and very good signal strength.
> Problem is my IP address is staying 0.0.0.0 and it is not showing any
> change, what could be the problem with my network settings?
> I did ipconfig /renew but no use.
>
> TIA for any help.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:10:18 -0500, Newsgroups Nut spoketh

>Dear all,
>
>I am using the Linksys WRTG54 router. I setup the router to use WPA-PSK
>security with TKIP encryption (key renewal interval - 60 seconds). I
>configured my XP machine to use the same security settings (WPA-PSK with
>TKIP). I verified to make sure I entered the right SSID (I disabled SSID
>broadcast on my router) and shared key.
>I am using Windows to configure my wireless network settings. I also made
>sure that my IP settings are set to obtain IP automatically.
>In the system try the wirless network connection shows activity (increasing
>packets sent, received counters) and very good signal strength.
>Problem is my IP address is staying 0.0.0.0 and it is not showing any
>change, what could be the problem with my network settings?
>I did ipconfig /renew but no use.
>
>TIA for any help.

Try setting the renewal interval at something reasonable. 60 seconds is
not. IIRC, the default is 600 seconds (10 minutes), and if that's not
good enough, cut it in half (300 seconds, 5 minutes).

Also make sure that you've created a profile using the Windows wireless
settings, and that the key you entered here matches the key you entered
on the WRT.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

Try setting the group key renewal at zero and see if this makes a
difference.

Dave G

"Newsgroups Nut" <bhamboy@bham.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
>
> I am using the Linksys WRTG54 router. I setup the router to use WPA-PSK
> security with TKIP encryption (key renewal interval - 60 seconds). I
> configured my XP machine to use the same security settings (WPA-PSK with
> TKIP). I verified to make sure I entered the right SSID (I disabled SSID
> broadcast on my router) and shared key.
> I am using Windows to configure my wireless network settings. I also made
> sure that my IP settings are set to obtain IP automatically.
> In the system try the wirless network connection shows activity
(increasing
> packets sent, received counters) and very good signal strength.
> Problem is my IP address is staying 0.0.0.0 and it is not showing any
> change, what could be the problem with my network settings?
> I did ipconfig /renew but no use.
>
> TIA for any help.

Taking a moment's reflection, Newsgroups Nut mused:

| (I disabled SSID broadcast on my router)

Try it with this enabled. Disabling SSID does not add anything to
security regardless of what many sites and people suggest. Many cards do
not associate properly if SSID is disabled.

Yeah, WZC severly dislikes it when an SSID is not broadcast and will not
associate without one (at least when other wireless networks are available
that do broadcast their SSIDs). There is no reason to hide the SSID if you
are using WPA-PSK and a reasonably long and complex key. In addition,
attacks against the router are most easily accomplished using a standard 2.4
GHz cordless phone and there is no easy way to defend against that.

-Yves