Why does my printer change fonts?

G

Hello,

I can't seem to print the fonts indicated on the documents I received. For example a word docx will have Times New Roman, but when I print it comes out in alternate format (some type of wingding format).
I can't seem to fix this, so does anyone have any solutions?

Cheers

You need to list your system specs and some more details. I take it you are using Windows 7 since you posted in this forum. What is the printer model you have? What driver are you using for it? What type of cable are you using usb or parallel, how long is it? And has this always happened or something new, maybe since you upgraded to Win7?

bmathews

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
* The font on your computer might not be available on the printer you're using. One solution is to change your font file to a TrueType font, because a TrueType font looks the same printed as it does on the screen.

* Make sure that the text you're trying to print isn't animated. Animations are a series of pictures that appear to be in continuous motion. If the text is moving, you might not be able to print it.

* Did you try to resize the font? Some fonts are bitmaps and can't be resized. Try printing the font in a different size and see if it looks the same as it does on the screen.

* To see if the problem is with the font rather than the file, try printing the same font in another file. If it still doesn't look right, try reinstalling the font.

Also, check out this site for more good information:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zainnab/archive/2010/03/11/printing-in-different-fonts-and-colors.aspx

I hope this helps!

Brett M,
Windows Outreach Team

If his printer does not support Times New Roman, it will be a bit of a shock, I think the very first Laser printer ever made has that font.

I would try printing some different things though, if you print from Excel, do you get a font issue? What if you print a .pdf file, or something form your web browser?

Is the issue only in Word?