Practical use for HP9000 E25

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hpux,comp.sys.hp.misc,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

I have an HP9000 E25 just stiing around gathering dust. The machine has
*only* 32MB RAM and 2GB disk. Would anyoone happen to know if there any
versions of Linux or other OSes which run on this machine?

I don't want to spend any money on upgrades to run HP-UX 11i (unless someone
has some RAM and any 50 pin SCSI drives they'd let go REAL CHEAP lol...),
but I hesitate to dispose of the machine.

Thanks all.

Matt

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hpux,comp.sys.hp.misc,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Just google on "pa-risc" and "linux". You'll get sites like this :

http://www.parisc-linux.org/
http://www.debian.org/ports/hppa/

and much more.

Matthew Piechotta wrote:
> I have an HP9000 E25 just stiing around gathering dust. The machine has
> *only* 32MB RAM and 2GB disk. Would anyoone happen to know if there any
> versions of Linux or other OSes which run on this machine?

There is linux, also for pa-risc hardware. Use the Debian website for a
startpoint: http://www.debian.org/ports/hppa/ , The core is at
http://parisc-linux.org/ .

> I don't want to spend any money on upgrades to run HP-UX 11i (unless someone
> has some RAM and any 50 pin SCSI drives they'd let go REAL CHEAP lol...),
> but I hesitate to dispose of the machine.

btw: do the disks still spin?

CBee

Matthew Piechotta wrote:

> I have an HP9000 E25 just stiing around gathering dust. The machine
> has *only* 32MB RAM and 2GB disk. Would anyoone happen to know if
> there any versions of Linux or other OSes which run on this machine?
>
> I don't want to spend any money on upgrades to run HP-UX 11i (unless
> someone has some RAM and any 50 pin SCSI drives they'd let go REAL
> CHEAP lol...), but I hesitate to dispose of the machine.

Why not run an older HP-UX (i.e. 10.20) on this machine? It will still do
fine as a mail-/newsserver, ntp-Server and even as a webserver for light
traffic...

Benjamin, with E35 standing around

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hpux,comp.sys.hp.misc,comp.sys.hp.hardware (More info?)

Most practical use, try to sell it to someone who wants it. It is a nice
system for someone who wants to get familiar with hpux and does not have
access to a company system.

Yes you can install linux but you probably also have a spare pentium 2
system that will be faster and consume less power.

My advise give the system away to a wannaby hpux administrator or trash it
to prevent it to waiste more of your time. Except of generating heat and
noise there is nothing it can do in a business environment.

Paul

Matthew Piechotta schrieb:

> I have an HP9000 E25 just stiing around gathering dust. The machine has
> *only* 32MB RAM and 2GB disk. Would anyoone happen to know if there any
> versions of Linux or other OSes which run on this machine?

I don't think LINUX is a good Idea on an E-class?
From parisclinux.org:
"Support for the E class is being pursued. Similar to K class in some
ways,
it requires the Mux driver for console and does not yet
have SCSI or Centronics support. Network support is the same as 712.
GSC add-in cards should work, HP-PB cards will not yet."
Go for HP-UX 10.20 instead, it will work fine on an e-class.

> I don't want to spend any money on upgrades to run HP-UX 11i (unless someone
> has some RAM and any 50 pin SCSI drives they'd let go REAL CHEAP lol...),
> but I hesitate to dispose of the machine.

Keep your eyes open for a little more memory.
Allmost any SCSI drive will work fine on the external port.
(easier to use if you don't have mounting material for the inside
drives.)
I could provide a spare E35 cpu, but shipping from Europe...

Gereon Wenzel
running a F30 myself.

Gereon Wenzel wrote:

> Keep your eyes open for a little more memory.
> Allmost any SCSI drive will work fine on the external port.
> (easier to use if you don't have mounting material for the inside
> drives.)

Which mounting material? My E-Class only required 4 srews to keep the HD in
it's place. There are no rails or sleds or any such thing...

Benjamin