best system for todays games?

chrisc3

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
hey guys, I'm considering upgrading my PC (again) to be more compatible with today's upcoming nextgen games. The game i have in mind specifically is Vanguard SOH (i have a beta invite!) and it runs like CRAP on my current machine.

some specs as of now include:
AMD3000+
512mb dual channel ram
radeon 9600XT

This machine is like 2-3 years old and i think its time to upgrade, but i really have NO idea what direction to head in because i havent been up to date with all the latest stuff thats come out. Any suggestions from fellow gamers on what i should be gearing towards? Oh yeah, and budget is pretty tight so please take that into consideration

thanks

rush_123

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Is the AMD3000+ a 64 bit socket 939?

if yes just ugrade to an X2 and once the directX 10 cards are out buy a card.

If no, i would wait till vista is out, it will drive the cost of all the current component down, and thats not too far into the future.

asjflask

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I'd wait until the prices came down (and they will soon) and go with the Intel Conroe (Core 2 Duo) series and Nvidia 8800 GTS (the GTX is more expensive). Although you may want to go with Windows Vista to get the full DirectX10 support for that card, since DirectX10 will *not* work in Windows XP. Vista is set to release in Jan. 2007.

TRENDING THREADS