Home AP with PEAP support?

I'm looking for an inexpensive access point that will support MS-PEAP.
It doesn't look like anything from Netgear fits the bill, and the
DLink office-grade AP is $200+. I found a model from Zyxel (Zyair
G-1000) that looks like it would fit the bill for about $100, but is
there anything out there with a more recognizable name? Or, any
feedback on the Zyxel product?

On 26 Jul 2004 13:40:29 -0700, Gabriel spoketh

>I'm looking for an inexpensive access point that will support MS-PEAP.
>It doesn't look like anything from Netgear fits the bill, and the
>DLink office-grade AP is $200+. I found a model from Zyxel (Zyair
>G-1000) that looks like it would fit the bill for about $100, but is
>there anything out there with a more recognizable name? Or, any
>feedback on the Zyxel product?

Take a look at the Linksys WAP54G. It got WPA and 802.1x user
authentication (using Radius).

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message news:<pcvag0pf4nufstptqu4d0hdq04ogk6e74m@4ax.com>...
> On 26 Jul 2004 13:40:29 -0700, Gabriel spoketh
>
> >I'm looking for an inexpensive access point that will support MS-PEAP.
> >It doesn't look like anything from Netgear fits the bill, and the
> >DLink office-grade AP is $200+. I found a model from Zyxel (Zyair
> >G-1000) that looks like it would fit the bill for about $100, but is
> >there anything out there with a more recognizable name? Or, any
> >feedback on the Zyxel product?
>
> Take a look at the Linksys WAP54G. It got WPA and 802.1x user
> authentication (using Radius).

Per Linksys, "our wireless products do not support PEAP, except for
the Wireless Guard service."

Any other suggestions?

On 27 Jul 2004 05:19:24 -0700, Gabriel spoketh

>Lars M. Hansen <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message news:<pcvag0pf4nufstptqu4d0hdq04ogk6e74m@4ax.com>...
>> On 26 Jul 2004 13:40:29 -0700, Gabriel spoketh
>>
>> >I'm looking for an inexpensive access point that will support MS-PEAP.
>> >It doesn't look like anything from Netgear fits the bill, and the
>> >DLink office-grade AP is $200+. I found a model from Zyxel (Zyair
>> >G-1000) that looks like it would fit the bill for about $100, but is
>> >there anything out there with a more recognizable name? Or, any
>> >feedback on the Zyxel product?
>>
>> Take a look at the Linksys WAP54G. It got WPA and 802.1x user
>> authentication (using Radius).
>
>Per Linksys, "our wireless products do not support PEAP, except for
>the Wireless Guard service."
>
>Any other suggestions?

Odd. I'm currently using a WAP54G configured with WPA w/radius using
EAP-PEAP and MSCHAPv2...

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

> >Per Linksys, "our wireless products do not support PEAP, except for
> >the Wireless Guard service."
> >
> >Any other suggestions?
>
> Odd. I'm currently using a WAP54G configured with WPA w/radius using
> EAP-PEAP and MSCHAPv2...

I wonder if this is so cheesy attempt by Linksys to require you to use their
new subscription "Wireless Guard Service"

I emailed tech support to see if I could get their version because I was
just ready to get 2 WAP54G and use my Windows 2003 box for authentication.

> Lars M. Hansen
> www.hansenonline.net
> Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me.
> "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:46:37 -0400, George spoketh

>I wonder if this is so cheesy attempt by Linksys to require you to use their
>new subscription "Wireless Guard Service"
>

>I emailed tech support to see if I could get their version because I was
>just ready to get 2 WAP54G and use my Windows 2003 box for authentication.

Get their version of what?

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 14:46:37 -0400, George spoketh
>

> >I wonder if this is so cheesy attempt by Linksys to require you to use
their
> >new subscription "Wireless Guard Service"
> >

> >I emailed tech support to see if I could get their version because I was
> >just ready to get 2 WAP54G and use my Windows 2003 box for
authentication.

> Get their version of what?

That was confusing wording. I wanted to get their response if authentication
was now proprietary and would only work with their "Wireless Guard
Service".

It also makes you wonder if will perfect their "Wireless Guard Service" and
leave flaws in other methods to insure you will buy a subscription..

> Lars M. Hansen
> www.hansenonline.net
> Remove "bad" from my e-mail address to contact me.
> "If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?"

On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 12:38:15 -0400, George spoketh

>That was confusing wording. I wanted to get their response if authentication
>was now proprietary and would only work with their "Wireless Guard
>Service".
>
>It also makes you wonder if will perfect their "Wireless Guard Service" and
>leave flaws in other methods to insure you will buy a subscription..

Well, radius authentication to a Windows 2003 server (running AD) works
fine here with my WAP54G, and I have the "old" v1 running fw 2.07.

There's a couple of pages on my website on how to get it working, in
case you are interested...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

Lac

Distinguished
May 20, 2004

Gabriel wrote:

> I'm looking for an inexpensive access point that will support MS-PEAP.
> It doesn't look like anything from Netgear fits the bill, and the
> DLink office-grade AP is $200+. I found a model from Zyxel (Zyair
> G-1000) that looks like it would fit the bill for about $100, but is
> there anything out there with a more recognizable name? Or, any
> feedback on the Zyxel product?

ZyXEL products are a step above your usual consumer grade (Linksys,
Dlink, Netgear) In this price range < $100 you'll be hard pressed to
find something better. Check out the (excellent) user forum:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/zyxel

-L