can anyone tell me what this gray box is and how do I get
rid of it. it's a box that appears on the desktop and it
has four small colored boxes on it. it just appears and I
its in the way. help!!!

Remove Common Tasks from Desktop
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_commtask_desktop.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"LB" <elmo123abc@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message:

| can anyone tell me what this gray box is and how do I get
| rid of it. it's a box that appears on the desktop and it
| has four small colored boxes on it. it just appears and I
| its in the way. help!!!

You may have found this post in a Google search, or, you searched Toms Hardware, no matter, you are now here.

This post has been dredged up from over 6 years ago. It is very ambiguous at best and nobody will supply any help on it and even more, it will be locked or deleted as soon as a certain moderator sees it has come back from the dead.

If you have some sort of grey box problem, Click "Ask the Community" and start your own, new thread on this topic, like "Suddenly a grey box appeared on my desktop."

Include any and all details about the problem in the text entry area.
Include what version of Windows you are using and the service pack number installed.

You will then be credited with starting a new question and will get proper help as it is available.

For now, you can go back to this post and click the "Edit" button (bottom right of the post, left-most button) and then on the left side of the screen there are two checkboxes, one says "Delete this reply." Click it and then "Submit" to clear your post, both of them.

It is also helpful if you will choose that you need an exact answer in the "Ask the Community" form.