FSB vs Memory speed

FrenchWiz

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
Quick question...
I'm trying to decide between two boards/CPUs for a linux server:
1. Gigabyte 7VRXP (333DDR RAM) + AMD XP 2100 1.73GH 266FSB
2. Gigabyte 8IEXP (266DDR RAM) + Intel P4 2.26GH 533FSB
I don't have much time (this is my e-mail server and it's down), so I want to chose between these two.
The obvious differences are:
- Price, about $80, which doesn't matter
- CPU speed, which I know is somewhat apples/oranges b/w Intel and AMD
- FSB speed, AMD = 266Mhz, Intel = 533Mhz
- Memory speed, AMD = 333Mhz DDR, Intel = 266 DDR

Which combo will give me better performance?
I've looked around on THG but not found an exact comparison b/w these chips/mobos.
What's more important: FSB speed or Memory speed?

I need to make a decision today.
Thanks for any feedback.

FrenchWiz

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2002
No one has an opinion or any advice?
Did I ask the question incorrectly or in the wrong community board? Has this already been answered?

I have been reading and searching this board, but I'm still no clearer on which way to go. Maybe there is no clear winner... I guess I may just have to buy Intel to be on the safe side.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey F,

IMHO........ The Intel system you list cannot run at 533 FSB. Any DDR system can only run at 100 or 133 FSB supported. To get the Memory bus to run at "533 mhz" you need quality, fast Rambus Ram, only, DDR can only give you a supported 333 mhz Memory bus Max. Memory bus speed = FSB X 4(in Rambus/Intel systems) or 133mhz FSB X 4= 533 mhz. In a DDR system it is only Double(not "Quad-Pumped" like the RD-Ram), so it is: FSB X 2 or 166 mhz FSB X 2 = 333mhz Memory bus.

If you limit the memory bandwidth of your 533mhz capable P4 to 266mhz, I believe the AMD system will out-perform the Intel system. You see to get this stated "533mhz FSB" you have to use a Quad-Pumped RD-Ram & chipset mobo. If you want the performance you have to pay a little more, also I don't believe Intel has approved any Motherboards or brands of Rambus Ram(Rambus is R&D company not a manufacuer of Ram) to run at 133 FSB. Good Luck, both are good choices.

Peace Out..............tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

One thing you've failed to think IMHO is the 'server' issue here. You've asked "what's the fastest", whereas I'd be asking, "which is more stable".

Either way I reckon your bottle neck will be your LAN/WAN connections.

<b><font color=blue>~ What do you mean "It isn't working!"...Now where's my sonic screwdriver? ~ </font color=blue></b>

bippy43

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
You might want to consider the Gigabyte GA-8IHXP MB instead, reviewed on Tom's main site, with an Intel P4 2.26GH 533FSB and Rambus 1066 memory. I ordered this configuration today - main drawback is memory price.

TRENDING THREADS