Please help me I am freezing!

aktush

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
I dont know how to explain this, it is beyond any reasonable explanation that I could think of and does not meet with none of the scientific planations ...

I have purchased parts for and a barebone. Assembled a machine Duron 1000 on a new core. And the board was AZ11 from FIC. Memory PC133 128MB Micron. A fairly old configuration but this is all i needed for a linux machine (Slackware).

Secondly. After you boot and you can work for 20 - 30 minutes, it starts to freeze. Big time freezing you have to press reset after it to get the machine running.

Then after you work for some time just booting the computer becomes an unreasonably challanging task. Sometimes the logo smears (with squares and lines), the FIC logo that is of the MB.. you have odd coloration .. (I have changed video cards too now i have ATI rage Pro) . Then after boot its fine for a while.. you load linux .. and at some particular point it will freeze.

Sometimes when you boot in the first plac eyou have to press restart to boot normally... otherwise it still freezes.

Ok then I turn it on another hour, and install Linux again. It installs, but AFTER you leave it there for a while without moving a mouse or anything at some point installation freeezes up again.!! DAMN!!!

Also one time i got BIOS checksum failed..

I kicked the whole box in desperation ... nothing helps!! this damned computer ...

Note: I use an old 2 Gb HDD may be it does not support the ATA100 cables ?? I dont know .. I have thought about EVERYTHING and .. still come up pempty-handed ...

Please if you had such symptoms with your or friends computer help me out what to do ????

-=I will always be against=-

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Make sure your board supports the Duron you bought. Do you have the Morgan core Duron? If so, make sure your BIOS version supports that chip.

Other than that, check the CPU for overheating and swap out the memory and see if that helps.

You don't need to worry about the hard drive cables. They will work with an older hard drive just fine.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

aktush

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
Alright then I will see I have already swapped memory with another stick and changed position. It did not help. NOw it will not start at all! THe machine seems to boot .. seems to have HDD spinning and everything, the CDROM is spinning but no video and POST is seen.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I took a peek at the FIC web site and it doesn't look like they say anything about your board supporting your Morgan core Duron. I think your problem is the processor isn't supported. Try one of the older versions or one of the Athlon T-birds... it says this board will support up to 800 MHz. Durons or up to 1.1 GHz. Athlon's

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Owl

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2001
Yes he is right Duron 600mhz-800mhz

<font color=blue>HOSED = Horrific operating system error detected</font color=blue>

aktush

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
I have figured the problem out .. I have carried this comp to my parrents house and it works fine .. its the power ! Not enough because i use so many electronic devices .. go figure ...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes. that could do it. a friend of mine had a similar problem.

a UPS is a expensive but valuable addition. i suggest u get one. keeps your pc running in blackouts (for a short time) and protects against the problems of dirty power.

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol:

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can't go wrong with <A HREF="http://www.apc.com/template/country_selection.cfm" target="_new">American Power Conversion</A>.

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>

TRENDING THREADS