Scheduled Tasks

Hi,
If you want to use this,Why do you need a password for it to work?
If left blank,the task may not start it states.
I am the administrator if that helps.
thanks in advance.
Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
40 answers Last reply
More about scheduled tasks

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 22:11:02 GMT, mctiger wrote:

    > Hi,
    > If you want to use this,Why do you need a password for it to work?
    > If left blank,the task may not start it states.
    > I am the administrator if that helps.
    > thanks in advance.
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    I think the user name/password requirement is to block unauthorized
    accounts from scheduling a task that could effect the system on a global
    basis. XP comes from the NT branch of the Windows family. Security is
    emphasized more and this is one example of that.

    MVP Kelly Theriot has a workaround on her site for the password
    requirement. I've never tried it but it may do what you want. Scroll down
    to "Scheduled Tasks" on this page to read about the required changes to
    accomplish this.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Hi,
    Can you please post MVP Kelly's Theriot web site?
    This way I can check out the information that you provided.
    Thanks again.

    >I think the user name/password requirement is to block unauthorized
    >accounts from scheduling a task that could effect the system on a global
    >basis. XP comes from the NT branch of the Windows family. Security is
    >emphasized more and this is one example of that.
    >
    >MVP Kelly Theriot has a workaround on her site for the password
    >requirement. I've never tried it but it may do what you want. Scroll down
    >to "Scheduled Tasks" on this page to read about the required changes to
    >accomplish this.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Hi,

    From MVP Kelly (a workaround):

    For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
    Policy/Local Policies/Security options.
    In the right hand pane (third down). Accounts: Limit local account use of
    blank passwords to console logon only. This is enabled by default, disable
    it.

    For Home: Backup your registry before modifying. Start/ru nregedit, locate
    the following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa

    Value name: limitblankpassworduse
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Data: 0 (disabled) 1 (enabled)

    It is enabled by default. Disable it (set the value to 0) and scheduled
    tasks should run.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 23:24:23 GMT, mctiger wrote:

    > Can you please post MVP Kelly's Theriot web site?
    > This way I can check out the information that you provided.
    > Thanks again.

    Sorry! I pulled up the page and looked it up before giving the reference.
    Then forgot to paste the link. Anyhow, main page:

    Schedules Tasks is on the "S" page:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_s.htm
    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    On Thu, 27 May 2004 17:22:49 +1000, David Candy wrote:

    > But it does far more than just allow tasks to run without a password.
    >
    > It should not be used.

    Some questions are a tough call in these groups. A question is asked and
    there is a way to accomplish what is desired. Do you hold back the info or
    not? Is the change worth it in the long run? The individual user needs to
    make that decision.

    Thanks for pointing out some important details regarding this particular
    area and change method. Anything that alters the security layers should be
    looked at very closely before implementing.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    It should be given with a reading of the riot act. Remote desktop is one vector. Consider how many computers have the admin account called Administrator without a password.

    http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/index.html
    "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message news:%23$YMGYBREHA.1548@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > On Thu, 27 May 2004 17:22:49 +1000, David Candy wrote:
    >
    > > But it does far more than just allow tasks to run without a password.
    > >
    > > It should not be used.
    >
    > Some questions are a tough call in these groups. A question is asked and
    > there is a way to accomplish what is desired. Do you hold back the info or
    > not? Is the change worth it in the long run? The individual user needs to
    > make that decision.
    >
    > Thanks for pointing out some important details regarding this particular
    > area and change method. Anything that alters the security layers should be
    > looked at very closely before implementing.
    >
    > --
    > Sharon F
    > MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

    Hi,
    I tried what you said. I received a box instead.
    Snap-in failed to initialize
    Name:Group Policy
    CLSID( 8Fc0B734-A0E1-11D1-A7D3-000F87571E3)
    What does this mean????
    How can I fix this also?
    Thanks in advance.
    Thanks for all the responses also.

    On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:32:12 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >From MVP Kelly (a workaround):
    >
    >For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
    >Policy/Local Policies/Security options.
    >In the right hand pane (third down). Accounts: Limit local account use of
    >blank passwords to console logon only. This is enabled by default, disable
    >it.
    >
    >For Home: Backup your registry before modifying. Start/ru nregedit, locate
    >the following registry key:
    >
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    >
    >Value name: limitblankpassworduse
    >Type: REG_DWORD
    >Data: 0 (disabled) 1 (enabled)
    >
    >It is enabled by default. Disable it (set the value to 0) and scheduled
    >tasks should run.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Hi,

    Which step did you try?

    --

    > Hi,
    > I tried what you said. I received a box instead.
    > Snap-in failed to initialize
    > Name:Group Policy
    > CLSID( 8Fc0B734-A0E1-11D1-A7D3-000F87571E3)
    > What does this mean????
    > How can I fix this also?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Thanks for all the responses also.
    >

    > On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:32:12 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    > <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>From MVP Kelly (a workaround):
    >>
    >>For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
    >>Policy/Local Policies/Security options.
    >>In the right hand pane (third down). Accounts: Limit local account use of
    >>blank passwords to console logon only. This is enabled by default, disable
    >>it.
    >>
    >>For Home: Backup your registry before modifying. Start/ru nregedit, locate
    >>the following registry key:
    >>
    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    >>
    >>Value name: limitblankpassworduse
    >>Type: REG_DWORD
    >>Data: 0 (disabled) 1 (enabled)
    >>
    >>It is enabled by default. Disable it (set the value to 0) and scheduled
    >>tasks should run.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    | "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote in message
    | Hi, I tried what you said. I received a box instead.
    | Snap-in failed to initialize
    | Name:Group Policy
    | CLSID( 8Fc0B734-A0E1-11D1-A7D3-000F87571E3) <SNIP>

    See the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

    KB826282 - "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You
    Open Microsoft Management Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826282

    Type in Help
    Snap-in failed to initialize

    while online.
    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:j0ffb0t1mqbikjq1sn67sk765tujdqc4v5@4ax.com...
    > Hi,
    > I tried what you said. I received a box instead.
    > Snap-in failed to initialize
    > Name:Group Policy
    > CLSID( 8Fc0B734-A0E1-11D1-A7D3-000F87571E3)
    > What does this mean????
    > How can I fix this also?
    > Thanks in advance.
    > Thanks for all the responses also.
    >

    > On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:32:12 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    > <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >From MVP Kelly (a workaround):
    > >
    > >For Pro: Start/Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security
    > >Policy/Local Policies/Security options.
    > >In the right hand pane (third down). Accounts: Limit local account use of
    > >blank passwords to console logon only. This is enabled by default, disable
    > >it.
    > >
    > >For Home: Backup your registry before modifying. Start/ru nregedit, locate
    > >the following registry key:
    > >
    > >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
    > >
    > >Value name: limitblankpassworduse
    > >Type: REG_DWORD
    > >Data: 0 (disabled) 1 (enabled)
    > >
    > >It is enabled by default. Disable it (set the value to 0) and scheduled
    > >tasks should run.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:27:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Which step did you try?
    Hi,
    I followed the xp pro directions.
    Then went to
    KB826282 - "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You
    Open Microsoft Management Console
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826282

    This was no line for environment variable. So I added it in with the
    path %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%system Root%\system32\WBE

    After that I ok both boxes and exited.
    Then went to Local Policies/security again,But still get the same
    message.Snap-in failed to initialize.
    What else can I do???
    I typed in the help box=snap-in failed to initialize.
    It showed options but no fixes.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Looks like you misspelled and made several errors in it:

    Yours:

    %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%system Root%\system32\WBE

    Should be (from the article):

    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM

    Copy/paste from here to avoid errors. Make sure you do not remove any
    existing PATH statements. There should be no space between "system" and
    "root" - there are in the one you posted.

    --

    > On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:27:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    > <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Which step did you try?
    > Hi,
    > I followed the xp pro directions.
    > Then went to
    > KB826282 - "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You
    > Open Microsoft Management Console
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826282
    >
    > This was no line for environment variable. So I added it in with the
    > path %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%system Root%\system32\WBE
    >
    > After that I ok both boxes and exited.
    > Then went to Local Policies/security again,But still get the same
    > message.Snap-in failed to initialize.
    > What else can I do???
    > I typed in the help box=snap-in failed to initialize.
    > It showed options but no fixes.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Hi again,
    Is there a way to reinstall this program? If so how?
    Under help about console= Microsoft Management Console 2.0 Version
    5.1(Built2600.xpsp2.030422-1633:Service Pack1 Physical memory
    available to windows: 259,636 KB.
    I am trying to give the most info. to help me with this problem.
    I hope this helps.
    Thanks again.
    On Sat, 29 May 2004 12:13:31 GMT, mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 28 May 2004 20:27:30 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    ><rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Which step did you try?
    >Hi,
    > I followed the xp pro directions.
    >Then went to
    >KB826282 - "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You
    >Open Microsoft Management Console
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826282
    >
    >This was no line for environment variable. So I added it in with the
    >path %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%system Root%\system32\WBE
    >
    >After that I ok both boxes and exited.
    >Then went to Local Policies/security again,But still get the same
    >message.Snap-in failed to initialize.
    >What else can I do???
    >I typed in the help box=snap-in failed to initialize.
    >It showed options but no fixes.
    >
    >Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    I also seen 2 variables listed under the first box.
    Under user variables for (my name) listed.
    TEMP
    TMP
    Should there only be one listed?
    They both have the same path.
    C:\Documents and settings\my name\Local Settings\TEMP

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    I copy\pasted the line to it.
    It still gives me the same error message.
    Can I re-install this program?
    And if so--How would I go about it.
    Thanks again for your help.

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 08:43:31 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Looks like you misspelled and made several errors in it:
    >
    >Yours:
    >
    >%System Root%system root;%System Root%;%system Root%\system32\WBE
    >
    >Should be (from the article):
    >
    >%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM
    >
    >Copy/paste from here to avoid errors. Make sure you do not remove any
    >existing PATH statements. There should be no space between "system" and
    >"root" - there are in the one you posted.
    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,

    You wouldn't reinstall a snap-in. Are you sure you copied it to the PATH
    statement under SYSTEM variables? And have you rebooted since doing this?

    --

    > Hi,
    > I copy\pasted the line to it.
    > It still gives me the same error message.
    > Can I re-install this program?
    > And if so--How would I go about it.
    > Thanks again for your help.
    >
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 08:43:31 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    > <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Looks like you misspelled and made several errors in it:
    >>
    >>Yours:
    >>
    >>%System Root%system root;%System Root%;%system Root%\system32\WBE
    >>
    >>Should be (from the article):
    >>
    >>%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM
    >>
    >>Copy/paste from here to avoid errors. Make sure you do not remove any
    >>existing PATH statements. There should be no space between "system" and
    >>"root" - there are in the one you posted.
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    I followed your advice to the T.
    Start-Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Local Security Policy-Local
    Policies-Security Options.
    Copied & pasted your last post under System Variables double clicked
    the path Environment Variable.
    Pasted %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%system
    Root%\system32\WBE- clicked OK-then OK again-then exited by OK.
    Re-booted the computer.
    Still the same....
    I appreciate all the help that you are giving me.

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 16:56:32 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >You wouldn't reinstall a snap-in. Are you sure you copied it to the PATH
    >statement under SYSTEM variables? And have you rebooted since doing this?

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    By the way after the steps of OK- the apply button is grayed out.
    The only option is clicking the OK button.
    I hope this helps you.
    Thanks again.

    >Hi,
    > I followed your advice to the T.
    >Start-Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Local Security Policy-Local
    >Policies-Security Options.
    >Copied & pasted your last post under System Variables double clicked
    >the path Environment Variable.
    >Pasted %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%system
    >Root%\system32\WBE- clicked OK-then OK again-then exited by OK.
    >Re-booted the computer.
    >Still the same....
    >I appreciate all the help that you are giving me.
    >
    >On Sat, 29 May 2004 16:56:32 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    ><rick@mvps.org> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>You wouldn't reinstall a snap-in. Are you sure you copied it to the PATH
    >>statement under SYSTEM variables? And have you rebooted since doing this?
    >
    >Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi again,
    I followed the web page
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826282

    Under resolution--The third step-under System Variables-double-click
    the PATH environment variable.

    under System Variables--Does it read environment variable or should it
    read environment variables? Or should it read Path environment
    variables?
    Which way should it read?
    Thanks.
    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    Also there are 2 listings under User Variables and both have the
    same path. Are there suppose to be two listed? And under the variable
    it lists TEMP the other one is TMP.
    Value reads -C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Local Settings\Temp
    Is this correct?
    Just trying to help with allot of the information that I find.
    I am not a computer wiz,but I am trying.

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 11:21:38 GMT, mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hi again,
    > I followed the web page
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826282
    >
    >Under resolution--The third step-under System Variables-double-click
    >the PATH environment variable.
    >
    >under System Variables--Does it read environment variable or should it
    >read environment variables? Or should it read Path environment
    >variables?
    >Which way should it read?
    >Thanks.
    >Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    It's NOT %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%systemRoot%\system32\WBE

    It's

    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%systemRoot%\system32\WBEM

    Rick told you this before.

    It stops being read at the first error.
    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:digjb01e627cnffl3j16qe7n381deol22f@4ax.com...
    > Hi again,
    > I followed the web page
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826282
    >
    > Under resolution--The third step-under System Variables-double-click
    > the PATH environment variable.
    >
    > under System Variables--Does it read environment variable or should it
    > read environment variables? Or should it read Path environment
    > variables?
    > Which way should it read?
    > Thanks.
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    I copied and pasted your line.Re-booted the computer.
    And still does not work.
    But thanks for your help.

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:29:24 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >It's NOT %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%systemRoot%\system32\WBE
    >
    >It's
    >
    >%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%systemRoot%\system32\WBEM
    >
    >Rick told you this before.
    >
    >It stops being read at the first error.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    now. If your earlier error-laden version is still in there, the whole thing
    will be buggered up.

    --

    > Hi,
    > I copied and pasted your line.Re-booted the computer.
    > And still does not work.
    > But thanks for your help.
    >

    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:29:24 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>It's NOT %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%systemRoot%\system32\WBE
    >>
    >>It's
    >>
    >>%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%systemRoot%\system32\WBEM
    >>
    >>Rick told you this before.
    >>
    >>It stops being read at the first error.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    Being a new user-how do I check for any laden versions?
    In the environment variable line?
    Can you please read the posts for today that I posted?
    I am trying my best to help you find a cure for my computer.
    And still trying not to get anyone mad at the same time.
    Happy Memorial day everyone.

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:14:04 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >now. If your earlier error-laden version is still in there, the whole thing
    >will be buggered up.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,

    Yes, I'm talking about the whole PATH line in the environmental variables.
    Go in there, and carefully use the arrow keys to check the entire length of
    it.

    --

    > Hi,
    > Being a new user-how do I check for any laden versions?
    > In the environment variable line?
    > Can you please read the posts for today that I posted?
    > I am trying my best to help you find a cure for my computer.
    > And still trying not to get anyone mad at the same time.
    > Happy Memorial day everyone.
    >
    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:14:04 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    > <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >>statement
    >>now. If your earlier error-laden version is still in there, the whole
    >>thing
    >>will be buggered up.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    I checked the whole length of that line.It only has what I copied
    and pasted from before.(last post from you).ok?
    Thanks again.

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:30:43 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
    <rick@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Yes, I'm talking about the whole PATH line in the environmental variables.
    >Go in there, and carefully use the arrow keys to check the entire length of
    >it.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    This is what I got when I typed in what you said...
    Running 32-bit and 64-bit snap-ins in Win64Microsoft 64-bit operating
    systems can run both 32-bit MMC (MMC32) and 64-bit MMC (MMC64). MMC64
    cannot run 32-bit snap-ins, and MMC32 cannot run 64-bit snap-ins. This
    topic describes how to determine and control which version of MMC is
    executed in a Microsoft 64-bit operating system.

    MMC can be executed with command line parameters, such as a console
    file name. Additionally, the following command line switches are
    recognized by MMC64.

    /32
    /64
    If both of the preceding switches are specified on the command line,
    then the far right switch is in effect.

    Start-up considerations if /32 or /64 is in effect.
    If MMC64 is started with no command line parameters, or if MMC64 is
    started with the /64 command-line option, it executes as the MMC64
    application. If MMC64 is started with the /32 command-line option,
    MMC32 is launched, using the same parameters initially passed to MMC64
    (except the /32 command-line option), and MMC64 will terminate.

    Start-up considerations if a console file is specified.
    If the MMC64 command line does not contain a /32 or /64 command-line
    option, but the command line does contain a console file name, then
    MMC64 examines the console file before determining which version of
    MMC remains in execution. MMC64 uses the following algorithm.

    If all snap-ins referenced by the console file are available in 64-bit
    form, then MMC64 will remain as the executing version (the remaining
    algorithm steps are not executed). A snap-in is considered available
    in 64-bit form if it exists as an HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\snap-in
    clsid\InprocServer32 key in the registry, where snap-in clsid is the
    registered CLSID for the snap-in.
    If not all snap-ins referenced by the console file are available in
    64-bit form but all of them are available in 32-bit form, then MMC64
    starts MMC32. MMC32 executes using the console file as specified on
    the command line, and MMC64 terminates (the remaining algorithm steps
    are not executed). A snap-in is considered available in 32-bit form if
    it exists as a HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Wow6432Node\CLSID\snap-in
    clsid\InprocServer32 key in the registry, where snap-in clsid is the
    registered CLSID for the snap-in.
    If the number of unavailable 64-bit snap-ins is a subset of the
    unavailable 32-bit snap-ins, then MMC64 remains as the executing
    version (the remaining algorithm steps are not executed).
    If the number of unavailable 32-bit snap-ins is a subset of the
    unavailable 64-bit snap-ins, then MMC64 starts MMC32 and MMC64 closes
    (the remaining algorithm step is not executed).
    If none of the previous steps yields a conclusion, then a user
    interface is presented to the user, prompting the user to specify
    which version of MMC to run (an option to cancel is also presented to
    the user).
    In any event where MMC64 fails to successfully start MMC32, MMC64
    continues to run. After MMC32 has been successfully started by MMC64,
    then MMC64 closes. If an error occurs after MMC32 has successfully
    started, MMC64 is not notified, as it will have already been closed.

    I really do not understand any of this.Can you help with this?
    Which advice from this should I follow?
    I updated to sevice pack 2=Bata version.I uninstalled the Bata.
    Maybe that mixed things up???
    Thanks again.

    On Sat, 29 May 2004 10:48:56 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Snap-in failed to initialize

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Tmp is what windows programs use and temp is what dos programs use.

    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3ohjb0hsijmfg8e13isv9u9d22j0e9q74f@4ax.com...

    > Hi,
    > Also there are 2 listings under User Variables and both have the
    > same path. Are there suppose to be two listed? And under the variable
    > it lists TEMP the other one is TMP.
    > Value reads -C:\Documents and Settings\my name\Local Settings\Temp
    > Is this correct?
    > Just trying to help with allot of the information that I find.
    > I am not a computer wiz,but I am trying.
    >

    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 11:21:38 GMT, mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi again,
    > > I followed the web page
    > >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;826282
    > >
    > >Under resolution--The third step-under System Variables-double-click
    > >the PATH environment variable.
    > >
    > >under System Variables--Does it read environment variable or should it
    > >read environment variables? Or should it read Path environment
    > >variables?
    > >Which way should it read?
    > >Thanks.
    > >Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You've said that before

    I followed your advice to the T.
    Start-Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Local Security Policy-Local
    Policies-Security Options.
    Copied & pasted your last post under System Variables double clicked
    the path Environment Variable.
    Pasted %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%system
    Root%\system32\WBE- clicked OK-then OK again-then exited by OK

    and yet you post back with similar errors.

    Type
    cmd /c echo %path% > "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt

    and ATTACH the file that appear on your desktop.

    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bvijb0pnk8j65uvmlidu479nkg2qop5nk4@4ax.com...

    > Hi,
    > I copied and pasted your line.Re-booted the computer.
    > And still does not work.
    > But thanks for your help.
    >

    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:29:24 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >It's NOT %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%systemRoot%\system32\WBE
    > >
    > >It's
    > >
    > >%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%systemRoot%\system32\WBEM
    > >
    > >Rick told you this before.
    > >
    > >It stops being read at the first error.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi, Type in cmd /c echo %path% > "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt
    where? In note pad-word????
    I appreciate the help,But need all the directions to perform the tasks
    you ask of me.
    Thanks again.

    ..
    > Copied & pasted your last post under System Variables double clicked
    > the path Environment Variable.
    > Pasted %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%system
    > Root%\system32\WBE- clicked OK-then OK again-then exited by OK
    >
    >and yet you post back with similar errors.
    >
    >Type
    >cmd /c echo %path% > "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt
    >
    >and ATTACH the file that appear on your desktop.
    >

    >"mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bvijb0pnk8j65uvmlidu479nkg2qop5nk4@4ax.com...
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >> I copied and pasted your line.Re-booted the computer.
    >> And still does not work.
    >> But thanks for your help.
    >>

    >> On Sun, 30 May 2004 21:29:24 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >It's NOT %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%systemRoot%\system32\WBE
    >> >
    >> >It's
    >> >
    >> >%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%systemRoot%\system32\WBEM
    >> >
    >> >Rick told you this before.
    >> >
    >> >It stops being read at the first error.
    >>
    >> Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Type it in Start - Run

    cmd /c echo %path% > "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt"

    also type

    cmd /c set >> "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt"

    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:a40kb09g4i3ft0chvjqrcr9ts164hghf1d@4ax.com...
    > Hi, Type in cmd /c echo %path% > "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt
    > where? In note pad-word????
    > I appreciate the help,But need all the directions to perform the tasks
    > you ask of me.
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > .
    > > Copied & pasted your last post under System Variables double clicked
    > > the path Environment Variable.
    > > Pasted %System Root%system root;%System Root%;%system
    > > Root%\system32\WBE- clicked OK-then OK again-then exited by OK
    > >
    > >and yet you post back with similar errors.
    > >
    > >Type
    > >cmd /c echo %path% > "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt
    > >
    > >and ATTACH the file that appear on your desktop.
    > >

    > >"mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bvijb0pnk8j65uvmlidu479nkg2qop5nk4@4ax.com...
    > >>
    > >> Hi,
    > >> I copied and pasted your line.Re-booted the computer.
    > >> And still does not work.
    > >> But thanks for your help.

    > >> Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    I followed these new steps,then re-booted the computer.
    I still get the same message.snap-in failed to initialize.
    Any other suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 02:05:04 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Type it in Start - Run
    >
    >cmd /c echo %path% > "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt"
    >
    >also type
    >
    >cmd /c set >> "%userprofile%\desktop\path.txt"

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    I just found a new icon path.txt on my desktop. Here is a copy of
    what it reads...
    %path%
    environment
    variable=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM
    ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\wmckeeby\Application Data
    CLIENTNAME=Console
    CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    COMPUTERNAME=MYCOMPUTER
    ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    HOMEDRIVE=C:
    HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\wmckeeby
    LOGONSERVER=\\MYCOMPUTER
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
    OS=Windows_NT
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 0 Stepping 0, CyrixInstead
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=0000
    ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    PROMPT=$P$G
    SESSIONNAME=Console
    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
    TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM
    TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\wmckeeby\LOCALS~1\Temp
    USERDOMAIN=MYCOMPUTER
    USERNAME=wmckeeby
    USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\wmckeeby
    windir=C:\WINDOWS

    I hope this helps you help me!
    Thanks again..
    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Your temp line is wrong.

    It should be

    %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

    Which will display the same as tmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\wmckeeby\LOCALS~1\Temp

    You've put the path in there.

    Security Policy requires access to the folder.
    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:505kb0pmltcttgghu3qad3q6o8lr7lhgfs@4ax.com...

    > Hi,
    > I just found a new icon path.txt on my desktop. Here is a copy of
    > what it reads...
    > %path%
    > environment
    > variable=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM
    > ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    > APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\wmckeeby\Application Data
    > CLIENTNAME=Console
    > CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    > COMPUTERNAME=MYCOMPUTER
    > ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    > HOMEDRIVE=C:
    > HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\wmckeeby
    > LOGONSERVER=\\MYCOMPUTER
    > NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
    > OS=Windows_NT
    > PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    > PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
    > PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 0 Stepping 0, CyrixInstead
    > PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    > PROCESSOR_REVISION=0000
    > ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    > PROMPT=$P$G
    > SESSIONNAME=Console
    > SystemDrive=C:
    > SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
    > TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM
    > TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\wmckeeby\LOCALS~1\Temp
    > USERDOMAIN=MYCOMPUTER
    > USERNAME=wmckeeby
    > USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\wmckeeby
    > windir=C:\WINDOWS
    >

    > I hope this helps you help me!
    > Thanks again..
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    I corrected it by my computer-right click-advanced tab-evvironment
    variables-under variable-corrected line for temp. I copied & pasted
    your correct line.
    Do I have to re-boot first? Or check it now?
    Thanks for your time and help.

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 03:32:26 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Your temp line is wrong.
    >
    >It should be
    >
    >%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
    >
    >Which will display the same as tmp
    >C:\DOCUME~1\wmckeeby\LOCALS~1\Temp
    >
    >You've put the path in there.
    >
    >Security Policy requires access to the folder.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    After re-booting it now reads---- environment
    variable=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM
    ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\wmckeeby\Application Data
    CLIENTNAME=Console
    CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    COMPUTERNAME=MYCOMPUTER
    ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    HOMEDRIVE=C:
    HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\wmckeeby
    LOGONSERVER=\\MYCOMPUTER
    NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
    OS=Windows_NT
    Path=C:\WINDOWS\System32
    PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
    PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 0 Stepping 0, CyrixInstead
    PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    PROCESSOR_REVISION=0000
    ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    PROMPT=$P$G
    SESSIONNAME=Console
    SystemDrive=C:
    SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
    TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\wmckeeby\LOCALS~1\Temp
    TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\wmckeeby\LOCALS~1\Temp
    USERDOMAIN=MYCOMPUTER
    USERNAME=wmckeeby
    USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\wmckeeby
    windir=C:\WINDOWS

    Hope this helps.But still get the same error message .
    Thanks for your help.

    On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:56:20 GMT, mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    > I corrected it by my computer-right click-advanced tab-evvironment
    >variables-under variable-corrected line for temp. I copied & pasted
    >your correct line.
    >Do I have to re-boot first? Or check it now?
    >Thanks for your time and help.
    >
    >On Mon, 31 May 2004 03:32:26 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Your temp line is wrong.
    >>
    >>It should be
    >>
    >>%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
    >>
    >>Which will display the same as tmp
    >>C:\DOCUME~1\wmckeeby\LOCALS~1\Temp
    >>
    >>You've put the path in there.
    >>
    >>Security Policy requires access to the folder.
    >
    >Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Changes are live. No need to reboot. Run those two commands again and post the file again.

    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:gp7kb091k7dv75cqo9621b77iedacu2v9b@4ax.com...

    > Hi,
    > I corrected it by my computer-right click-advanced tab-evvironment
    > variables-under variable-corrected line for temp. I copied & pasted
    > your correct line.
    > Do I have to re-boot first? Or check it now?
    > Thanks for your time and help.
    >
    > On Mon, 31 May 2004 03:32:26 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Your temp line is wrong.
    > >
    > >It should be
    > >
    > >%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
    > >
    > >Which will display the same as tmp
    > >C:\DOCUME~1\wmckeeby\LOCALS~1\Temp
    > >
    > >You've put the path in there.
    > >
    > >Security Policy requires access to the folder.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Now your path is wrong, it wasn't wrong on the last one.

    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:br8kb05f6envf99351iurgo9e0raogohk7@4ax.com...
    > Hi,
    > After re-booting it now reads---- environment
    > variable=C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\system32\WBEM
    > ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    > APPDATA=C:\Documents and Settings\wmckeeby\Application Data
    > CLIENTNAME=Console
    > CommonProgramFiles=C:\Program Files\Common Files
    > COMPUTERNAME=MYCOMPUTER
    > ComSpec=C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    > HOMEDRIVE=C:
    > HOMEPATH=\Documents and Settings\wmckeeby
    > LOGONSERVER=\\MYCOMPUTER
    > NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
    > OS=Windows_NT
    > Path=C:\WINDOWS\System32
    > PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
    > PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
    > PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 6 Model 0 Stepping 0, CyrixInstead
    > PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6
    > PROCESSOR_REVISION=0000
    > ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
    > PROMPT=$P$G
    > SESSIONNAME=Console
    > SystemDrive=C:
    > SystemRoot=C:\WINDOWS
    > TEMP=C:\DOCUME~1\wmckeeby\LOCALS~1\Temp
    > TMP=C:\DOCUME~1\wmckeeby\LOCALS~1\Temp
    > USERDOMAIN=MYCOMPUTER
    > USERNAME=wmckeeby
    > USERPROFILE=C:\Documents and Settings\wmckeeby
    > windir=C:\WINDOWS
    >
    > Hope this helps.But still get the same error message .
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > On Sun, 30 May 2004 17:56:20 GMT, mctiger <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    > >Hi,
    > > I corrected it by my computer-right click-advanced tab-evvironment
    > >variables-under variable-corrected line for temp. I copied & pasted
    > >your correct line.
    > >Do I have to re-boot first? Or check it now?
    > >Thanks for your time and help.
    > >
    > >On Mon, 31 May 2004 03:32:26 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    > >wrote:
    > >
    > >>Your temp line is wrong.
    > >>
    > >>It should be
    > >>
    > >>%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp
    > >>
    > >>Which will display the same as tmp
    > >>C:\DOCUME~1\wmckeeby\LOCALS~1\Temp
    > >>
    > >>You've put the path in there.
    > >>
    > >>Security Policy requires access to the folder.
    > >
    > >Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    This is what I get.
    1.. Windows XP Support Center
    2.. "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You Open Microsoft Management Console
    3.. Viewing Saved FRS, DNS and Directory Service Event Logs and Events on Windows XP Non-Domain Domain Controllers
    4.. Detailed Usage of the Event Viewer /AUXSOURCE Switch Option

    "mctiger" <wmckeeby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:fnokb0tl9tn1a7g8i1q11m2eep23kaf0ok@4ax.com...

> [...]
    > which version of MMC to run (an option to cancel is also presented to
    > the user).
    > In any event where MMC64 fails to successfully start MMC32, MMC64
    > continues to run. After MMC32 has been successfully started by MMC64,
    > then MMC64 closes. If an error occurs after MMC32 has successfully
    > started, MMC64 is not notified, as it will have already been closed.
    >
    > I really do not understand any of this.Can you help with this?
    > Which advice from this should I follow?
    > I updated to sevice pack 2=Bata version.I uninstalled the Bata.
    > Maybe that mixed things up???
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004 10:48:56 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Snap-in failed to initialize
    >
    > Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hi,
    Ok, Now is there a simple fix from what you get?????
    If so,How can one perform the tasks?
    Thanks.

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 09:03:32 +1000, "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >This is what I get.
    > 1.. Windows XP Support Center
    > 2.. "Snap-in Failed to Initialize" Error Message When You Open Microsoft Management Console
    > 3.. Viewing Saved FRS, DNS and Directory Service Event Logs and Events on Windows XP Non-Domain Domain Controllers
    > 4.. Detailed Usage of the Event Viewer /AUXSOURCE Switch Option

    Have sence,patience,and self-restrain,and no mischief will come.

Microsoft Windows XP