Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

User profile name change

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
May 27, 2004 1:47:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hello,
I would like to rename my local user profile. When I set up WindowsXP I used
my first name as (I think) the computer name. Later in the set-up the name
Debbie was rejected so I temporarily, I thought, used Debbie2. Now with
every new program I load Debbie2 is automatically filled in as the name. How
do I change the Profile name from DEBBIE/Debbie2? Thank you for your
assistance.

More about : user profile change

May 27, 2004 4:11:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Start/Control Panel/User Accounts/Pick An Account to Change.
May 31, 2004 1:50:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks, but that isn't it. It is the Registered Users name that I want to
change. In other words when I go into Control Panel-System-(Properties) I am
registered as Debbie2. I want to get rid of the "2". Thank you.
Debbie
"Byte" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:CC6B4316-F509-43E6-B216-779A92EEBC64@microsoft.com...
> Start/Control Panel/User Accounts/Pick An Account to Change.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 31, 2004 6:33:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Do a regedit, find Debbie2 and delete the 2.
"Debbie" <djdburgess@heydon.com> wrote in message
news:o u8FSorREHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks, but that isn't it. It is the Registered Users name that I want to
> change. In other words when I go into Control Panel-System-(Properties) I am
> registered as Debbie2. I want to get rid of the "2". Thank you.
> Debbie
> "Byte" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CC6B4316-F509-43E6-B216-779A92EEBC64@microsoft.com...
> > Start/Control Panel/User Accounts/Pick An Account to Change.
>
>
May 31, 2004 6:38:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

You can search for 'install properties' and find Debbie2 faster.
"Debbie" <djdburgess@heydon.com> wrote in message
news:o u8FSorREHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks, but that isn't it. It is the Registered Users name that I want to
> change. In other words when I go into Control Panel-System-(Properties) I am
> registered as Debbie2. I want to get rid of the "2". Thank you.
> Debbie
> "Byte" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CC6B4316-F509-43E6-B216-779A92EEBC64@microsoft.com...
> > Start/Control Panel/User Accounts/Pick An Account to Change.
>
>
June 2, 2004 5:06:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I finally got up the nerve to run the registry editor but could not find
where to make the change. Would you please tell me what I am looking for.
Also, if the reason that I had to use Debbie2 in the first place was because
at some point I used Debbie when first turning on my new computer won't
deleting the 2 cause problems?
Thanks for your help.
Debbie

"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
news:QmHuc.17583$eH1.7678725@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com...
> Do a regedit, find Debbie2 and delete the 2.
> "Debbie" <djdburgess@heydon.com> wrote in message
> news:o u8FSorREHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Thanks, but that isn't it. It is the Registered Users name that I want
to
> > change. In other words when I go into Control Panel-System-(Properties)
I am
> > registered as Debbie2. I want to get rid of the "2". Thank you.
> > Debbie
> > "Byte" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:CC6B4316-F509-43E6-B216-779A92EEBC64@microsoft.com...
> > > Start/Control Panel/User Accounts/Pick An Account to Change.
> >
> >
>
June 3, 2004 9:31:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I tried to answer yesterday but couldn't find this post.
I think it's sad that people are told to fear editing the registry rather than
taught.
Two ways to overcome this fear are:
1. Export the key so that you can import it back. (backup)
2. Write it down. This takes a little longer but you'll learn more and much
faster.
In your case; Click start---run---type in--- regedit---click OK.
Navigate to' (write this down)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Currentversion
Click on current version (folder icon)
In the right pane click on registeredowner (highlight it)
Click on edit then, Modify A window will appear and you can type in the name
you want.
Then simply close down regedit. This will only change the name of the
registered owner and causes no problems.
To check change, right click My Computer and select properties. On the general
tab, check your name.
Post back if you need more help.
"Debbie" <djdburgess@heydon.com> wrote in message
news:uMnv5PMSEHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I finally got up the nerve to run the registry editor but could not find
> where to make the change. Would you please tell me what I am looking for.
> Also, if the reason that I had to use Debbie2 in the first place was because
> at some point I used Debbie when first turning on my new computer won't
> deleting the 2 cause problems?
> Thanks for your help.
> Debbie
>
> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> news:QmHuc.17583$eH1.7678725@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com...
> > Do a regedit, find Debbie2 and delete the 2.
> > "Debbie" <djdburgess@heydon.com> wrote in message
> > news:o u8FSorREHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > > Thanks, but that isn't it. It is the Registered Users name that I want
> to
> > > change. In other words when I go into Control Panel-System-(Properties)
> I am
> > > registered as Debbie2. I want to get rid of the "2". Thank you.
> > > Debbie
> > > "Byte" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:CC6B4316-F509-43E6-B216-779A92EEBC64@microsoft.com...
> > > > Start/Control Panel/User Accounts/Pick An Account to Change.
> > >
> > >
> >
>
>
June 9, 2004 10:47:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I finally got up the nerve to run the registry editor but could not find
where to make the change. Would you please tell me what I am looking for.
Also, if the reason that I had to use Debbie2 in the first place was because
at some point I used Debbie when first turning on my new computer won't
deleting the 2 cause problems?
Thanks for your help.
Debbie


"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
news:xrHuc.17587$eH1.7680025@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com...
> You can search for 'install properties' and find Debbie2 faster.
> "Debbie" <djdburgess@heydon.com> wrote in message
> news:o u8FSorREHA.808@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Thanks, but that isn't it. It is the Registered Users name that I want
to
> > change. In other words when I go into Control Panel-System-(Properties)
I am
> > registered as Debbie2. I want to get rid of the "2". Thank you.
> > Debbie
> > "Byte" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:CC6B4316-F509-43E6-B216-779A92EEBC64@microsoft.com...
> > > Start/Control Panel/User Accounts/Pick An Account to Change.
> >
> >
>
!