Don

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2001

All of a sudden, Paint no longer will operate properly.
It opens, but when I attempt to open a BMP file the
entire system just stops functioning. It had worked fine
for months, I am just a novice senior citizen on a home
computer, and am bewildered by this sudden change. Can
anyone offer, in simple terms, any help? Thank you in
advance. Don

Another idea would be an updated graphics driver. Go to the manufacturer's web site
and look around for a newer driver.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Don" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All of a sudden, Paint no longer will operate properly.
> It opens, but when I attempt to open a BMP file the
> entire system just stops functioning. It had worked fine
> for months, I am just a novice senior citizen on a home
> computer, and am bewildered by this sudden change. Can
> anyone offer, in simple terms, any help? Thank you in
> advance. Don

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Paint is an accessory. Go to control panel add/remove and on the left side
click add/remove Windows components. My suggestion is to remove paint then add
it back.
"Don" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> All of a sudden, Paint no longer will operate properly.
> It opens, but when I attempt to open a BMP file the
> entire system just stops functioning. It had worked fine
> for months, I am just a novice senior citizen on a home
> computer, and am bewildered by this sudden change. Can
> anyone offer, in simple terms, any help? Thank you in
> advance. Don

You can try

Type regedit in Start Run, Navigate to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint

and delete Paint and it's sub keys. Start paint.
http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/index.html