Router vs. AP - Bridge mode (point to point, multipoint) -..

Hi,

Two quickies:
First, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good site (I have yet to find
one) that deals with repeater vs. bridging modes and other useful
information (basically an all in one wireless site).

Second, I'm setting up a wireless network, it will have three access
points/routers. I'm not sure which companies offer built in point to
multipoint bridging on their routers and access points, I just know that
Linksys does not (their bridging support is point to point, not sure about
the 3rd party firmware). Does anyone have recommendations? It need not be
residential stuff, the lower end enterprise/commercial hardware (I know
netgear has a router in the $200 range) would be fine too.

Thanks,
Adam
12 answers Last reply
More about router bridge mode point point multipoint

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:07:44 -0400, Adam Steiner spoketh

    >Hi,
    >
    >Two quickies:
    >First, I was wondering if anyone knew of a good site (I have yet to find
    >one) that deals with repeater vs. bridging modes and other useful
    >information (basically an all in one wireless site).
    >
    >Second, I'm setting up a wireless network, it will have three access
    >points/routers. I'm not sure which companies offer built in point to
    >multipoint bridging on their routers and access points, I just know that
    >Linksys does not (their bridging support is point to point, not sure about
    >the 3rd party firmware). Does anyone have recommendations? It need not be
    >residential stuff, the lower end enterprise/commercial hardware (I know
    >netgear has a router in the $200 range) would be fine too.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Adam

    The Linksys WAP54 in bridging mode supports multi-point bridging.
    However, in repeater mode, it's point to point.

    From the help page:
    "Select Wireless Bridge to create a wireless connection between two or
    more wired networks. This mode connects the physically separated, wired
    networks using multiple access points. In the Remote Wireless Bridge¡¦s
    LAN MAC Addresses fields, enter the LAN MAC addresses of the remote
    access points.
    Note: Wireless Bridge mode will work with another Linksys WAP11 and
    WAP54G only. "

    Lars M. Hansen
    www.hansenonline.net

    "Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:07:44 -0400, Adam Steiner spoketh
    >

    > The Linksys WAP54 in bridging mode supports multi-point bridging.
    > However, in repeater mode, it's point to point.
    >
    > From the help page:
    > "Select Wireless Bridge to create a wireless connection between two or
    > more wired networks. This mode connects the physically separated, wired
    > networks using multiple access points. In the Remote Wireless Bridge¡¦s
    > LAN MAC Addresses fields, enter the LAN MAC addresses of the remote
    > access points.
    > Note: Wireless Bridge mode will work with another Linksys WAP11 and
    > WAP54G only. "

    Right, but as WAP11 and WAP54G are AP's, how will that work with a router
    (ie WRT54G or 54GS). Will it be able to bridge to that as well?

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:49:06 -0400, Adam Steiner spoketh

    >"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:07:44 -0400, Adam Steiner spoketh
    >>

    >> The Linksys WAP54 in bridging mode supports multi-point bridging.
    >> However, in repeater mode, it's point to point.
    >>
    >> From the help page:
    >> "Select Wireless Bridge to create a wireless connection between two or
    >> more wired networks. This mode connects the physically separated, wired
    >> networks using multiple access points. In the Remote Wireless Bridge¡¦s
    >> LAN MAC Addresses fields, enter the LAN MAC addresses of the remote
    >> access points.
    >> Note: Wireless Bridge mode will work with another Linksys WAP11 and
    >> WAP54G only. "
    >>

    >Right, but as WAP11 and WAP54G are AP's, how will that work with a router
    >(ie WRT54G or 54GS). Will it be able to bridge to that as well?

    From what I can tell, no.

    Lars M. Hansen
    http://www.hansenonline.net

    Adam Steiner <adam@NOstudent-SPAMcomputers.THANKScom> wrote:

    > I'm not sure which companies offer built in point to
    > multipoint bridging on their routers and access points, I just know that
    > Linksys does not (their bridging support is point to point, not sure about
    > the 3rd party firmware). Does anyone have recommendations?

    Buffalo base stations can do WDS with up to six others while also
    serving wireless clients. See
    <http://www.buffalotech.com/support/faq.php#21>.

    "Neill Massello" <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Adam Steiner <adam@NOstudent-SPAMcomputers.THANKScom> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure which companies offer built in point to
    > > multipoint bridging on their routers and access points, I just know that
    > > Linksys does not (their bridging support is point to point, not sure
    about
    > > the 3rd party firmware). Does anyone have recommendations?
    >
    > Buffalo base stations can do WDS with up to six others while also
    > serving wireless clients. See
    > <http://www.buffalotech.com/support/faq.php#21>.

    Hmm, very good.
    Thanks,
    Adam

    Does anyone happen to know of a single solution which has bridging *and* an
    access point? I'd prefer to stay away from WDS because of the halving of
    bandwidth per hop through an AP.

    --Adam

    "Neill Massello" <neillmassello@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Adam Steiner <adam@NOstudent-SPAMcomputers.THANKScom> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm not sure which companies offer built in point to
    > > multipoint bridging on their routers and access points, I just know that
    > > Linksys does not (their bridging support is point to point, not sure
    about
    > > the 3rd party firmware). Does anyone have recommendations?
    >
    > Buffalo base stations can do WDS with up to six others while also
    > serving wireless clients. See
    > <http://www.buffalotech.com/support/faq.php#21>.

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 12:01:02 -0400, "Adam Steiner"
    <adam@NOstudent-SPAMcomputers.THANKScom> wrote:

    >Does anyone happen to know of a single solution which has bridging *and* an
    >access point? I'd prefer to stay away from WDS because of the halving of
    >bandwidth per hop through an AP.

    Yes, but you won't like the price. The bottom of the line 6
    port/radio version is $1900 list. What you're describing is a
    "wireless switch"[1].

    http://www.symbol.com/products/wireless/symbol_wireless_switch_5000.html
    http://www.symbol.com/products/wireless/ws5000_wireless_switch.html
    http://www.symbol.com/products/wireless/ws_5000_v1_0__1_1_faq.html

    This is where the radios are almost brain dead and where *ALL* the
    bridging and routeing is done in the central switch unit, where it all
    the wiz bang features (VLAN, traffic management, access control,
    authentication, ad infinitum) can be easily mismanaged. Trying to
    accomplish the same thing in 3 seperate boxes requires distributed
    intelligence, which is difficult to impliment. WDS "solves" the
    problem by passing both the packets and the responsibility to another
    access point via a store-n-forward repeater function. See
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article78-page9.php
    which shows that the WDS performance hit is far worse than 50%.

    You can probably build your own with a high end ethernet switch and a
    bunch of brain dead radios. However, that means you'll need to run
    CAT5 between the central switch and the various radios. That's
    usually not convenient or possible with high end systems.

    Some more vendors and notes:
    http://www.legra.com/product_family.htm
    http://www.airespace.com/products/AS_4000.php

    [1] A "switch" is a "bridge" with 3 or more ports.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 09:44:50 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

    >You can probably build your own with a high end ethernet switch and a
    >bunch of brain dead radios. However, that means you'll need to run
    >CAT5 between the central switch and the various radios. That's
    >usually not convenient or possible with high end systems.

    Ugh. Change that to:
    ...usually not convenient or possible with home systems.
    Remind me to get a new proof reader.

    > On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 12:01:02 -0400, "Adam Steiner"
    > <adam@NOstudent-SPAMcomputers.THANKScom> wrote:
    >
    > >Does anyone happen to know of a single solution which has bridging *and*
    an
    > >access point? I'd prefer to stay away from WDS because of the halving
    of
    > >bandwidth per hop through an AP.
    >
    > Yes, but you won't like the price. The bottom of the line 6
    > port/radio version is $1900 list. What you're describing is a
    > "wireless switch"[1].
    >
    > http://www.symbol.com/products/wireless/symbol_wireless_switch_5000.html
    > http://www.symbol.com/products/wireless/ws5000_wireless_switch.html
    > http://www.symbol.com/products/wireless/ws_5000_v1_0__1_1_faq.html
    >
    > This is where the radios are almost brain dead and where *ALL* the
    > bridging and routeing is done in the central switch unit, where it all
    > the wiz bang features (VLAN, traffic management, access control,
    > authentication, ad infinitum) can be easily mismanaged. Trying to
    > accomplish the same thing in 3 seperate boxes requires distributed
    > intelligence, which is difficult to impliment. WDS "solves" the
    > problem by passing both the packets and the responsibility to another
    > access point via a store-n-forward repeater function. See
    > http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article78-page9.php
    > which shows that the WDS performance hit is far worse than 50%.
    >
    > You can probably build your own with a high end ethernet switch and a
    > bunch of brain dead radios. However, that means you'll need to run
    > CAT5 between the central switch and the various radios. That's
    > usually not convenient or possible with high end systems.
    >
    > Some more vendors and notes:
    > http://www.legra.com/product_family.htm
    > http://www.airespace.com/products/AS_4000.php
    >

    > [1] A "switch" is a "bridge" with 3 or more ports.

    Ouch. $1,900 is pretty steep, especially for a home system...
    What I might do then is see if I can find a WDS solution on a 108Mbps
    system. Even if the throughput penalty is 60% that should still leave
    enough bandwidth.

    Thanks for the info Jeff. I heard they were going to include a proofreader
    with Longhorn, but, like the file system... ;-)

    --Adam

    On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:43:03 -0400, "Adam Steiner"
    <adam@NOstudent-SPAMcomputers.THANKScom> wrote:

    >Ouch. $1,900 is pretty steep, especially for a home system...
    >What I might do then is see if I can find a WDS solution on a 108Mbps
    >system. Even if the throughput penalty is 60% that should still leave
    >enough bandwidth.

    You're dreaming. 108Mbits/sec is science fiction. You might get
    108Mbits/sec under absolutely ideal conditions. I've never seen
    anything close on boxes I've tested. For a typical room, you'll get
    about 30Mbits/sec. That will drop with reflections, distance,
    interference, 802.11b radios, microwave ovens, cordless phones, etc.

    See the WRT54G review at:
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Reviews-142-ProdID-WRT54GS-8.php
    for performance estimates. For most of the test, they were running
    around 33Mbits/sec at 6ft and dropped to 7Mbits/sec at 50ft (through a
    wall). See:
    http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article26-page1.php
    for test conditions.

    Cut everything in half for store-n-forward WDS repeaters.

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

    > On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 17:43:03 -0400, "Adam Steiner"
    > <adam@NOstudent-SPAMcomputers.THANKScom> wrote:
    >
    > You're dreaming. 108Mbits/sec is science fiction. You might get
    > 108Mbits/sec under absolutely ideal conditions. I've never seen
    > anything close on boxes I've tested. For a typical room, you'll get
    > about 30Mbits/sec. That will drop with reflections, distance,
    > interference, 802.11b radios, microwave ovens, cordless phones, etc.

    Oh, that much I know. What I meant to say was I'd rather have WDS cut a
    theoretical 108mbps connection in half than cut a theoretical 54mbps
    connection in half. Might as well play every card I can.

    --Adam

    On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:21:08 -0400, "Adam Steiner"
    <adam@NOstudent-SPAMcomputers.THANKScom> wrote:

    >What I meant to say was I'd rather have WDS cut a
    >theoretical 108mbps connection in half than cut a theoretical 54mbps
    >connection in half. Might as well play every card I can.
    >--Adam

    Please substitute "science fiction" or perhaps "marketing hyped" for
    "theoretical".

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

Wireless Routers Wireless Networking