Netgear MR814v1 and Dell Inspiron 1150

HELP!! : )

Trying to configure my brother's new Dell Inspiron 1150 to access my
DSL via my Netgear MR814v1 wireless router. The laptop's built-in
Dell WLAN wireless card connects to the router just fine but it cannot
browse the internet. It appears the router isn't broadcasting DNS for
some reason. I'm using Windows XP Pro with IE 6.

anyone have this same problem?

thanks for any help you can provide!

JJM
matlockjohn@hotmail.com

Hactar

In article <417f4ed.0407262003.1bf0071a@posting.google.com>,
john matlock <matlockjohn@hotmail.com> wrote:
> HELP!! : )
>
> Trying to configure my brother's new Dell Inspiron 1150 to access my
> DSL via my Netgear MR814v1 wireless router. The laptop's built-in
> Dell WLAN wireless card connects to the router just fine but it cannot
> browse the internet. It appears the router isn't broadcasting DNS for
> some reason. I'm using Windows XP Pro with IE 6.

If you can't ping anybody, could be your netmask is wrong? Not sure how it
behaves in that case. If you can ping the router and other internal
machines numerically but not any outside machines, then your default gateway
is wrong. If you can ping all machines by address but not by name, then
your DNS is wrong.

Are you using the router's built-in DHCP server?

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar
CAPRICORN: The stars say you're an exciting and wonderful person...