Upgrade to XP , what to do with components/periph?

roycymru

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2002
Hi

Can I pick on your wealth of your experience? I am about to finally upgrade to Windows XP home from Windows 98SE (System is Pentium III 800, 512mb RAM, Abit ST6 motherboard) and need advice on what to do with components/peripherals during the upgrade process. I will obviously leave my AGP Graphics card in but what about other components

PCI USB 2.0 card
PCI 10/100 ethernet card
PCI Compro Videomate TV Gold card
USB 2.0 card reader
USB pen drive
Scanner
Printer

Should I remove these from my system and then put them back in one by one, or do I just leave them all in for XP to detect, or will this totally confuse the upgrade process?

Thanks

_WW_

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
You keep saying upgrade...Does this mean you have an upgrade disk? If so, you may have problems with the install. There is a way to do a clean install from an upgrade disk, I don't have any personal experience with it it but if you search around the web I'm sure you'll find it.

When I do an XP install I like to get the OS up and running before I start adding the periphials and major addon cards, but I usually leave the modem and 10/100 installed. In your case, if you are doing a clean install you can probably leave it all connected and be trouble free...but, depending on the age of your scanner and printer, XP may or may not support them so I'd unhhook these for the install.

....WW (4.0)

G

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316639" target="_new">HOW TO: Prepare to Upgrade Windows 98 or Windows Millennium Edition to Windows XP</A>

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
My vote:

Leave all the PCI cards in.
Leave the printer attached.

Add the USB devices one by one
Add the Scanner last.

You could probably do it all at once though, probably.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Add the USB devices one by one
Absolutely. IMHO adding USB devices afterwards is a smart move.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2765&st=0#entry21597" target="_new">My Rigs</A>