Sign in with
Your question

What's the most UNDERrated game you've played?

Last response: in Video Games
October 25, 2006 2:56:15 PM

I liked the Overrated thread, so here's just the opposite: what is the most underrated game you've been lucky enough to stumble upon, or a game that reviewers/friends slammed but you absolutely loved?

I'll start: Dungeon Keeper

Didn't get slammed by reviewers, but was virtually ignored by the gaming industry, when it should have won Game of the Year (it got someone's Most Original, I think). Fantastic game, and I'm still heart broken I can't install in on Win XP, if I could, it'd get played as much as my old versions of Civilization II and Diablo2.

*sniff* I miss slappin' those Imps . . . .

More about : underrated game played

October 25, 2006 4:05:27 PM

I used to be an avid fan of a game called "New World Order", which was a great action shooter, trying to take on CounterStrike, at which it failed miserably. The technology used however was great, and it had great (but limited) physics support, as an FPS it showed your own body when you looked down, it had GREAT dynamic lighting (you could shoot out lights) and shadow handling (you saw your own shadows, and shadows of others gave away their position if they did not get rid of lights that gave them away). In short, it was an awesome game that never acquired anything even close to a critical mass to take off and conquer the masses.

Too bad they never got round to releasing another game with the engine or did an update on the engine. It was great stuf.
Related resources
October 25, 2006 5:56:32 PM

Quote:
I never knew a score of 2.1 could ever exists 8O

http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/action/newworldorder/review.h...

Trust me (I know that's a lot to ask for) but that review was really really really off the mark, except for the fact that when the game was first released is it was actually in (barely) alpha tested state. I had a great time testing it to completion btw :wink:

That.... and this is the most UNDERrated game thread so it kind of fits in nicely, don't you agree? :lol: 
October 25, 2006 11:44:03 PM

my favorite under-rated game would be Rally Trophy. I've tried lots of other racing sims but Rally Trophy still ends up on my machine. Not great physics etc but flat out fun, and it runs good on lower powered machinery. TRON 2 would be up there just for the eye candy factor - literally...it looked like everything in TRON was made out of lozenges...lol.
October 26, 2006 11:41:15 AM

Caesar 3.

Most reviews gave it 7.0 to 8.0. Most people who played the game gave it a much higher score. I've never played a game that came close in the "whoah! where did 6 hours just go?" stakes.

Oh, and Hardwar was pretty excellent too. That one just dropped off everyone's radar for some reason. Shame, as it was immense fun and had hilarious in-game videos (including the lead designer playing a crooked cop).
October 26, 2006 4:26:28 PM

Nexus the Jupiter incident.

That game was awsome, and it vanished.
October 26, 2006 6:07:37 PM

Hmm, I think I'll have to go with Metal Fatigue
A great little RTS that had horrendous reviews and little to no fanfare.

I played that game for hours. It had some really interesting dynamics I would like to have seen in other RTSs. Shame really.

Around the same time Warlords Battlecry came out. That was also fairly underrated at the time but TONS of fun. Later it got the recognition it deserved, but at the time it was really underrated.
October 29, 2006 10:24:09 AM

Quote:
Hmm, I think I'll have to go with Metal Fatigue
A great little RTS that had horrendous reviews and little to no fanfare.

*Sniff*, that was a great game, I can think of a few big flaws(Tanks were useless, the path finding sucked I think) but the storyline was great, the graphics kicked ass and the three battle modes (Underground, Land, and air) made the game interesting.
October 31, 2006 10:55:34 AM

Freedom Space I think. Only space sim game that actually made me whoa.
October 31, 2006 3:57:45 PM

Underplayed would be The Longest Journey, though actual ratings actually caught up with it, if just barely.

Hmm...

I'd have to say Red Orchestra in recent history, just because the mainstream reviewers like hyped up mediocrity & can't stand for anything that rises above the crap level in something they're not used to.

For a game that was average expansion length & completely perfected every aspect imaginable of the original formula Valve introduced with Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2: Aftermath sure got a whole lot of bad reviews for what it was. The only thing I have against it (unless you just hate expansions for what they are because you can't stand anything shorter than a full game no matter WHAT) that's legitimate is that they definitely slipped up with their minimalist story telling method.

Beyond that, I'd say most games made by Irrational don't see nearly the level of praise they should. I still want them to team up with Valve one day on John Carmack's next engine. It's like my fantasy dream... >_>
November 2, 2006 9:14:59 AM

Psychonauts and Grim Fandango. Both made by Tim Schafer, both thoroughly awesome, both with rave reviews ( I don't know anyone that doesn't like them) and yet both commercial "failures".
November 2, 2006 3:31:44 PM

Along those lines, Beyond Good and Evil should be in that list.
November 2, 2006 5:20:11 PM

Psychonauts is getting a second chance on Steam at the moment.
November 2, 2006 8:44:41 PM

I've heard Psychonauts is quite a game. I haven't played it yet but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I feel like I never stop slurping this game, but what the hell -- The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay.

I know it got some great reviews, and yes, it was a platinum hit on Xbox. But for some reason, I never hear about this game in discussions about the best Xbox titles or superior FPS/stealth titles. It's a beautifully designed game and is probably the best movie spinoff/adaptation I've ever played.
November 2, 2006 9:32:49 PM

Psychonauts is a very fun game. A bit cartoony in more ways than just the art style, but fun and clever. There are a couple rough spots overall, but for the most part it is just well written and designed.

One weak point is the utter and complete lack of replay value, but a fun game all the same.
November 6, 2006 9:01:03 PM

Quote:
I've heard Psychonauts is quite a game. I haven't played it yet but I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

I feel like I never stop slurping this game, but what the hell -- The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay.

I know it got some great reviews, and yes, it was a platinum hit on Xbox. But for some reason, I never hear about this game in discussions about the best Xbox titles or superior FPS/stealth titles. It's a beautifully designed game and is probably the best movie spinoff/adaptation I've ever played.

I tried to champion this game for the pc in here, ppl rarely listened :(  Ranks as one of my favest ever fps games and it still looks and play excellently. One of my favorite game review sites www.eurogamer.net reviewed it twice to try and get ppl to buy it :)  and it has a great commentary replay value.
November 6, 2006 9:09:34 PM

[/quote]I tried to champion this game for the pc in here, ppl rarely listened Ranks as one of my favest ever fps games and it still looks and play excellently. One of my favorite game review sites www.eurogamer.com reviewed it twice to try and get ppl to buy it and it has a great commentary replay value.
Quote:

Wolfy, I just read your review of Butcher Bay on the forum this morning. Good stuff, keen observations. Very happy to see this title has more fans than just me.
I've only played it on the Xbox, but I'm going to play it on the PC once I get out from under the flood of PS3 and Wii stuff coming at me. But no matter what the platform, I'll gladly pimp this game with you and try to spread the gospel of Riddick throughout the TG Forumz...
!