still need help from someone with A7V333 (please)

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
For someone with an A7V333 mobo:
do I HAVE to leave lovely jumperless mode in order to disable the onboard sound (which is awful and I therefore have to get a PCI sound card) or can I somehow turn it off in BIOS? Or does it automatically turn off when a soundcard is plugged in (far fetched/idealistic)? anyone who knows and can fill me in would be appreciated. Thanks.

*** :cool: Duff Man says a lot of things, OH YEAH!!! :cool: ***<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tommunist on 07/01/02 06:14 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
anyone? anyone? bueller? anyone?
I know someone has this board out there and has turned off the onboard sound. Come on. Help a brother (or tomrade) out! :wink:

*** :cool: Duff Man says a lot of things, OH YEAH!!! :cool: ***

sturm

Splendid
there should be a selection in the bios that will disable the onboard sound. i have a MSI-6380 board with onboard sound and it has the on/off selection in the bios. Do u still have the manual for it? it should tell u what heading the selection is under.

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
i checked the manual and am having a hard time locating it. :-(

also - if i turn off the raid will the promise ide ports stop working as just regular ide ports?

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I used to have it and I did disable on-board sound in BIOS. It should be in <b>Onboard peripheral control</b> (or something similar like that) submenu of <b><font color=red>I/O Device Configuration</b></font color=red> (under <b>Advance setup menu</b>). Change it from auto to disable.
also - if i turn off the raid will the promise ide ports stop working as just regular ide ports?
It will be regular IDE ports (You need to change it jumper).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
OK. The setting to disable sound is on page 86 (Onboard PCI Devices control). On my previous post, I thought about A7V133 not A7V333 so please disregard it.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

Bendora

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
You can hardware turn it off easlily on the motherboard with the jumpers, but also in the Bios. If you install a PCI-soundcard an extra option will come in the bios giving you the option to disable your onboard-soundchip. I have to admit that the onboardship, makes a lot of cracking sound.. and jumps to many times back to 2 speakers configuration.

It's alll in the manual... If you have it, al lot of resellers don't put in the real manual and only give your quick refference manual. So read it good please.

Signing off Bendor@ Celleron from The Netherland
Design Federation 1978-2002

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
ok. when I hook up a sound card I'll check that out. so the concensus is that I need to use jumpers to turn off raid though? and as a related question. If my hard drive is hooked up to one of the promise ide ports (the raid ports) will it somehow be faster if I turn off raid or does turning off raid only remove that annoying scanning thing that my computer does when I start it up?

Bendora

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
It will not make it faster. Only when you have two identical Harddisk's (Only, Maxtor support's this option at the moment) it will give you a 40% speed gainage. Or the speed backup.. deppends on witch(wrong writen) raid you are going to use. Raid 1 or 0. So it will not give you a faster harddisk, but (if you HDD support's it) you will have ATA 133 (means 133MB p/second). This is very fast, I know for a fact.
And turning of the promise-chip for searching for you second HHD is very helpfull indeed, because it keeps scanning voor something that isn't there. It also takes up time in the starting-up process. And if you ever buy a second HHD, then you will only have this scanning in the beginning once. so it anoying now... hehe but later it will be your haven.

So I leave it up to you now.
The strange thing of buying new hardware with new technoligies is that you have to wait for other hardware-companies to ajust there hardware to support these new options.

Anyway.. I hope I have give'n you inuff information about your qeustions, if not keep asking. :)

Some people like to look for answer's, others like to ask them.

Goodluck, turning off the Promise chip is easy, okay.

P.S. check this link:
http://download.asus.com.tw/search.asp
Put this text in the POWER-SEARCH: A7V333 and loop up you software updates.

Design Federation 1978-2002<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bendora on 07/02/02 05:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
when you say that

"And turning of the promise-chip for searching for you second HHD is very helpfull indeed, because it keeps scanning voor something that isn't there."

Are you saying that it is constantly scanning even AFTER it does the initial scan when I start up my pc? thanx for your help.

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
Sorry Tommunist, I am reading just now your post.
I have a A7V333 and I disabled the onboard audio to use a Creative Live! card.
In the bottom of the board (seen with the CPU socket above) you will find a Jumper "audio EN" which is enabled by default. You must disable it as it is shown also in the manual by moving it on the right (en= -., disabled=.-) and you may continue to use the board in jumperless mode. Put your Sound card in any available PCI and enjoy yourself.

the last is in the past

unoc

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
And don't forget, for best performances and RAM life to disable (take off) the jumper JP1 and JP2 close to the AGP socket.

the last is in the past

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
what does JP1 and JP2 do? (and when you say "take off" you mean move them to the other position, not just to pull the jumpers out right?) and also..... to make sure i'm clear, even when we are in "jumperless" mode I can use a jumper to turn off the onboard sound??? this seems really weird to me. Just checking to make sure that I am understanding you. thanks.

*** :cool: Duff Man says a lot of things, OH YEAH!!! :cool: ***<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Tommunist on 07/02/02 11:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Bendora

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2002
Yes, It will keep on scanning. So it is better to turn it off.
What I don't know, is that afther turning off the promise-chip(Raid). If you can still plug-in the HDD-IDE on the Promise-IDE-plugs? You'd have to check that for yourself, I will check it as soon as I get home from work. And will let you know if that works or not. Theory I think it will, but you never know. Cos you disabled the chip-funtions with the jumper-settings.

We'll see okay. Can I ask you a qeustion?
I'm having a minor irritation problem with the onboard-soundchip from realtek-studios. It keep making a cracking sound. Also the configuration of the speakers is not stable. I have 4 speakers and sellect 4 speaker in the options.. but in a strange way the settings jump back to a 2 speakers config. Very irritating. Do you have the same problem?

P.S. check this link:
http://download.asus.com.tw/search.asp
Put this text in the POWER-SEARCH: A7V333 and loop up you software updates.

Let me know

Design Federation 1978-2002

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
i only have a 2 speaker setup so I won't be able to help you much there. It does crackle sometimes. I am planning on buy a soundcard which should remove the problem entirely. good luck and thanks for all the help you have been giving me.

PlaMonster

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2002
I've got the same sound problem here with this mobo. I was setting things up in the BIOS as I went but couldn't find the on-board sound disable. So I figured I'd just proceed and hopefully it would pop up later (auto detect in bios??). But, even after I installed my Audigy card...nothing. I have hesitated to leave Jumperfreeland cuz it's so warm and fuzzy here, but I like unoc's advice when they say that I can stay in jumperfreeland and still disable individual stuff with the jumper settings. I'm gonna try that now and hope that it works *crosses fingers*...cuz I'm GOING NUTZ w/o SOUND!!!!

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
I just turned off raid with the jumpers and my hard drive was no longer detected (hooked to promise IDE1). Is it b/c the drive was already formated for raid or something? or are people just mistaken when they say that turning off raid just makes the 2 promise ports regular IDE ports?

greenkiwi

Distinguished
May 22, 2002
You just change the jumper ... it's at the bottom of the board (away from the Proc)... and it is marked with something like "aud en" or something along those lines. Just switch the way the jumpers are set and presto...

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
You should download the latest sound drivers for the A7V333 before comming to any conclusions on the quality of the onboard sound. I was horrified to hear that the sound was initially worse than my ISA Sound Blaster 16, after installing the latest drivers the jumping and cracking sound was now fixed ! Download those drivers even if you don't plan on using the onboard sound because it fix some bugs with the rear panel audio jacks and some problems related to the c-media mixer...

P.S. This board is by no mean jumperless, you'll have much more control over the board settings by going in jumper mode, jumperless won't allow any changes to the CPU voltages, FSB and multipliers. If you got an AXP or Duron Morgan and PC2700 RAM, you might want to consider unlocking your chip ( really easy with the Duron, much harder with AXP ), lowering the multiplier and running the CPU on a 166MHz FSB, i'm now running a Duron 1000 AHHAA @ 133 x 7.5 getting better performances from it, I even unlocked my friend's Duron 1200 AHLCA @ 166 x 7.0 ( slight underclock but the extra bandwidth make up for the handfull of missing MHz ) I also need to mention that both cores are running undervolted to 1.4 vcore.

Fok Speling Misstake