Sign in with
Your question

My New computer freezes and restarts on its own!

Last response: in Motherboards
July 1, 2002 8:53:19 PM

Help, I just built a brand new pc. There are two problems.

The first is that after about 20mins to 1 hour of use, the computer will just freeze up, and I can't move the mouse or control alt delete. I have perform a hard-reboot to get out of it. This problem has happend twice on the login to windows screen, several times just on the desktop, once playing a game, and several times playing music.

The second problem is that sometimes, for no reason, with without any userinteraction, the pc will just reboot itself(Has only happened when playing MP3's, but I haven't tried much else)!!

I have monitored the System/CPU temperature and they are both within the acceptable range. I have also monitored the power coming into the system and it is clean.

Any ideas as to what can cause this mess? I am wondering if it is a bad component, or if I have something setup incorrectly(like the busspeed, or the memory settings) in the bios. I am using the gigabyte 333 7VRX model motherboard with 512meg of samsung 333 DDR ram. Using AMD 2000 XP processor. I have the Maxtor 40gig ATA 133 harddrive, and my motherboard has a built in promise controller. My video card is the Leadtek TI 4400 Geforce4. My sound card is on the motherboard(creative chipset). I have a toshiba DVD rom drive, and an AOpen CDBurner. My Powersuppy is a 431W Ermax P4/AMD approved.

I am running windows ME with all of the latest updates and patches.]

Thanks again for your help,
Locke

...Where is that redbull, crap out of advil! I am doooommed!...
July 1, 2002 10:45:16 PM

Get rid of ME, seriouisly it's a horrible buggy OS. Go back to 98SE or upgrade to XP! You'll be happy you did, especially if you do XP, it's a wonderful OS!
July 1, 2002 10:52:53 PM

i think a lot of people with that mobo had to up the core voltage for stability. I don't own the board so Im not sure, but you might want to look into it.
Related resources
July 1, 2002 11:44:15 PM

yes... the latest batch of gigabyte mobo's have had problems.

try increasing the core and ram voltage 1 setting up.

now i know u said the input power was clean, but what were the actual readings for you 3.3v and 5v rails?

<font color=green>Proud member of THG's</font color=green> <font color=blue>Den Of Thieves</font color=blue> :lol: 
July 4, 2002 12:52:17 AM

There is a thread in the games section you might want to check out. Not sure if this is your problem, but worth a looksee. Thread is posted on 7-3-2002 the last I looked under freezes.
!